Taser, Melee Ability, Takes Ranged IO sets?

Cheli

Taser is classified as melee. However, for some reason it is classified to take ranged damage IO sets. It appears to have a range component, but it's listed as a melee ability in its description, but at power selection and in the power info window. I thought about posting this somewhere other than 'bugs', considering with the changes lots of people must be aware of this, but I don't see any threads/mentions of it.

Is this intended? Accidental? Is there a reason for this if intended? It's a bit strange for a blaster secondary to have no melee attacks whatsoever, though I know devices is 'strange' in a couple ways.

Thanks!

Taser, like in the Devices secondary for Blasters? It's far more likely that the Melee tooltip tag is in error, rather than the fact that it takes ranged damage sets.

Taser has a range of 20, which makes it a ranged ability. Melee abilities have ranges of ~7 or so, with longer weapon-based sets such as Titan Weapons having some attacks with 9 range and some with 10. If it's targeting melee defense, but taking ranged sets, then the fact that it has a range seems to imply that ranged makes the most sense. Is it bad to have a ranged ability that targets melee defense? Probably not -- it's another option, and it gives Devices something that other sets don't do. On the other hand, it's inconsistent with the way defenses work.

For reference, in melee sets with ranged abilities, those ranged abilities are tagged as Ranged, such as Focus in Claws primary (range 40, visually a ground-travelling energy blast coming off a melee weapon), and Focused Burst in Kinetic Melee (range 40, ki blast visuals). So it seems to me like Taser is more likely mistagged than it is to be taking the wrong sets -- the intent seems very much that it is a ranged ability.