Looking for a new Dark/?

Doc Ranger

So I've been having a ton of fun with my Dk/Dk troller. Of all my controllers he is my favorite. I would like to try a new build with a different secondary.

I would consider /Storm,  /Kin, /Nature, /Rad, /Poison and /Thermal. 

Any of these stick out as having good synergy with Dark?

Thanks!

Edited by Ice_Warden

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

Storm has good synergy with anything.

Nature and Radiation are somewhat similar sets overall. I prefer Nature (generally) although it is not strictly better. Nature is a passive regen/healing set (mostly) and Radiation is a mix of strange powers without any unified theme or reason cobbled together for Issue 1, and it turned out most of those powers aren't bad.

Any set with a self heal is likely to make your life easier. You can build for Defense in the late game, but lacking the self heal can set back your sustainability. Taking Aid Self can sometimes fix this, as with /Cold.

The only set you mentioned I would avoid is Poison. IMO Poison is not just very good compared to other Buff sets. It does a few interesting things, but does not provide nearly enough debuff to justify its total lack of sustainability. It gets no real resistance or defense, no self heal, no endurance management (to allow you to run pool power toggles to make up for it), just nothing that would make it sustainable. The one interesting thing about it is you can proc out some powers for damage. It also gets a PBAoE -Resist aura that would be good on a different set, but within Poison tends to mean the PBAoE control sets can't survive at melee range due to lack of heals/defense, and any Ranged character has no reason to run up in creature's faces.

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 1

Storm and Rad are especially awesome :p, and Nature and Kin are both excellent. Thermal is very good if you like team buffing and healing, and Poison is a limited set that really puts out awesome -Res and some damage, and very little of anything else. Well, single-target debuffing, but that's not greatly important.  Though it does a good job of limiting AV damage (if you run Weaken Resolve with Achilles Heel, you end up around 80 -Res, which improves your -Dam to about -80% against +0 AVs).

• City Council

I enjoy both power sets! Thermal offers a more traditional healing set - with an aura, a 'heal other', "Thaw" and "Forge". With some shields/debuffs thrown in! Nature is a little different as it includes healing/regen location toggles, shields, Heal over Times, etc. I also like the 'Bloom' mechanic to maximize your nature output! They're both excellent, though!

I would decide if you enjoy focusing on some extra mechanics; or if you'd prefer to be a straight 'healer/buffer'! I am currently working on a Fire/Thermal Troller - and already have a Plant/Nature. Can't go wrong with either! ^_^

• Like 2

Please contact me on the Homecoming Discord for a faster response! Arcanum#7164

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Thanks for the insight! I don’t mind  extra mechanics. I lean towards control over strict being a buffer/healer. I like defense and keeping the party safe. 

With that in mind do you think nature would be better or thermal?

A bunch of toons. Global DocRanger

All on Excelsior. 

If on the fence, I'd take Nature over Thermal.

Thermal is great, but the area where Nature beats it is endurance management. Lifegiving Spores is one of the most overlooked powers in the game for leveling up. Slot it for endurance mod x2 and endurance reduction x1. Pre-cast it wherever you plan to stand for each fight. Now enjoy "free" bonus endurance--the power gives back more than it consumes. Hang out for a seconds after the fight to recharge a bit. 

The only downside is Spores cancels when mezzed. So you occasionally have to recast it. (Plus, after each fight is over, don't forget to manually cancel it. Takes a little practice to remember at first.)

Edited by oedipus_tex
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later

I sometimes feel like Thermal was made as a pairing for Demon MM's.  It just works so well with it.

As a counter point, Storm is incredible paired with Dark.  Each set brings something different to the table.  But, it's a very busy build.