Archetype that made the worst first impression on you?

DR_Mechano

Just now, Rathulfr said:

A properly built Blaster is pretty durable.  My Energy Blasters are almost as durable as my Energy Sentinels, and put out way more damage.  But I did need to be 50 and have the right build and IO sets to get there.

I was In a group recently with a Blaster named "Not a Tank". I'll give you three guesses at what roll this mad lad played in our Task Force.

He made me and my shiny new Rad/Kin look like an idiot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 7:16 AM, Crysis said:

But at the time (Game launch back in 2003/04) it really made me think Tankers as a class must be busted or something.

That was a steep learning curve for me, too.  I hadn't yet played EQ or its "holy trinity" back then: I had just come from Asheron's Call, where basically everyone played mage-tanks.  I had to learn all about the "role" of being a durable aggro magnet without damage, rather than just killing everything in sight.  It was a bit of culture shock, for sure.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

On 1/25/2020 at 2:11 AM, Pixie_Knight said:

On the other hand, masterminds are best played via micromanaging your pets.

Which is why I can't ever play MMs for long.  I feel like I spend the whole time watching the pet window, instead of the game.  Grr...

@Rathstar

Honestly - before inherent powers - I tried grav controlling and I was really, really terrible at it.  This was around issue 3 or 4 I think, so trying against after containment; more knowledge of the mechanics and playing a defender a bit really helped me have a better feel for the AT and appreciation of control powers.

Just now, Pixie_Knight said:

O.o but if you're not also paying attention to what's going on, how will you prioritize their targets?

Prioritize targets?  When would I ever get the chance to do so when I'm already busy feeding inspirations to the pet window?  Grrr...

• Haha 1

@Rathstar

You... feed your minions inspirations?

Okay, yes I sometimes feed them any reds or yellows that drop. But by choice my masterminds stock mostly blues with a couple rows of purples. After all, if I feel the need to be using inspirations, that means I'm fighting an EB or AV. Or maybe a GM. Either way what is needed is my own butt to be protected (chugging a couple Lucks) and more endurance to fuel my supporting and/or resummoning (and equipping) my pets. I have hotkeys for targeting each specific pet, so I just need to keep an eye on their health. Which gives me time to prioritize targets, call henchmen back if they are chasing after a runner intent on meleeing said runner (and thus might aggro another group), and so forth.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rathulfr said:

Prioritize targets?  When would I ever get the chance to do so when I'm already busy feeding inspirations to the pet window?  Grrr...

It's important to remember that minions, yes even the cute cuddly ones, are all disposable. You can always re-summon. Got to think like a mastermind, to be a mastermind.

27 minutes ago, Pixie_Knight said:

You... feed your minions inspirations?

Okay, yes I sometimes feed them any reds or yellows that drop. But by choice my masterminds stock mostly blues with a couple rows of purples. After all, if I feel the need to be using inspirations, that means I'm fighting an EB or AV. Or maybe a GM. Either way what is needed is my own butt to be protected (chugging a couple Lucks) and more endurance to fuel my supporting and/or resummoning (and equipping) my pets. I have hotkeys for targeting each specific pet, so I just need to keep an eye on their health. Which gives me time to prioritize targets, call henchmen back if they are chasing after a runner intent on meleeing said runner (and thus might aggro another group), and so forth.

You are better than me at Masterminding.  I concede defeat and will resume Blastering, as per usual.  😁

@Rathstar

2 minutes ago, Pbuckley818 said:

It's important to remember that minions, yes even the cute cuddly ones, are all disposable. You can always re-summon. Got to think like a mastermind, to be a mastermind.

What is this "think" of which you speak?  I'm too busy blasting to "think"! 😎

• Haha 1

@Rathstar