How to get City of Heroes running on Linux

Daggenthal

2 minutes ago, kanga2 said:

All i get is

Wine: Bad EXE format for E:\home\pi\coh\Tequila.exe.

All children gone

Exit with returncode 193

What're you doing to cause that? I haven't had that happen at all on any of my systems, so I'm curious haha.

Did you run the script? If so, can you tell me what the output from the terminal was? 

Edited by skabooty
Question

Just now, kanga2 said:

Just trying to launch CoH on the Pi from Lutris

Ooooh I'm curious if it's the architectural difference then, as the Pi is ARM based, and CoH is x86-64 based, and so you'd have to emulate x86-64 on an ARM CPU, which can be quite intensive for said CPU

Just now, kanga2 said:

Did follow a guide and got doom 3 working on the thing, so I thought i'd be a little more ambitious, might be too much so, especially for me.

Do you have a link to the guide for Doom 3? I'm curious if I can learn something through it. I'm downloading NOOBS real quick to see if I can emulate it through KVM

5 minutes ago, kanga2 said:

shot1.png

Sorry for the late response, the website didn't notify me. Everything seems to be set fine, but I enable D9VK and DXVK, but I don't know if the Pi supports it. I currently have Raspbian running in an emulator, so I will see what I can do from my end and tell you what we'll need to do. I presume your "Game options" executable is set to Tequila.exe, yeah?

3 minutes ago, kanga2 said:

Yep. is all good. might not be up much longer. dead tired XD timezones and weird sleeping habits ftw!

Hahaha that's okay, sleep well! It's 2:42PM here for me xD I'll see what I can do for you! Can you install and run neofetch in the terminal for me, please?

sudo apt install neofetch -y && neofetch

That should work real fast

9 minutes ago, kanga2 said:

yep was quick

The current emulation is abhorrently slow, so I may not be able to do this quickly for you. The error says that you're trying to run a 64-bit program on the 32-bit version of Wine, which I've never had to deal with before as I always run 64-bit stuff. I'll have to check it out and work on it

3 hours ago, kanga2 said:

oh. got a command for getting the right one i can try? i am helpless with linux still

I'm sorry again for the late response. The website went down for maintenance, and I went to go workout instead. The emulator I was working in was very very underpowered, so I can't attempt to fix it myself from this end.

After an hour, I was finally able to run my script on their version of the RPi, and it didn't work. Did the script work for you? Were you able to get both Wine and Lutris installed with it? I may have to configure it some more.

Edit: After going through the source code for the Doom 3 port that you were using, it's all using OpenGL, while CoH uses DirectX. Also, the Pi can't run x86-64 as we had talked about, and the only reason why Doom 3 is able to run, is that its rendering engine was changed (using that link) to OpenGL. Basically, as far as I can tell (with my abilities on all of this at the moment), we're unable to run CoH on the Pi. If I had one myself, I could spend some time trying to get it all working, but the emulation that's currently available doesn't allow me to (It's all 1-core with 256MB of RAM to give you an example). For now, no, but I'm sure we'd be able to in the future. I'm sorry I couldn't get this figured out myself for you.

Edited by skabooty

3 hours ago, skabooty said:

I'm sorry again for the late response. The website went down for maintenance, and I went to go workout instead. The emulator I was working in was very very underpowered, so I can't attempt to fix it myself from this end.

After an hour, I was finally able to run my script on their version of the RPi, and it didn't work. Did the script work for you? Were you able to get both Wine and Lutris installed with it? I may have to configure it some more.

Edit: After going through the source code for the Doom 3 port that you were using, it's all using OpenGL, while CoH uses DirectX. Also, the Pi can't run x86-64 as we had talked about, and the only reason why Doom 3 is able to run, is that its rendering engine was changed (using that link) to OpenGL. Basically, as far as I can tell (with my abilities on all of this at the moment), we're unable to run CoH on the Pi. If I had one myself, I could spend some time trying to get it all working, but the emulation that's currently available doesn't allow me to (It's all 1-core with 256MB of RAM to give you an example). For now, no, but I'm sure we'd be able to in the future. I'm sorry I couldn't get this figured out myself for you.

No Worries, I appreciate the work though!

Yeah saw the site go down and while I did wait a while to send another response I was just too tired to continue :D . I tried a few other things through Lutris. I had Wizardry 8 copied onto the pi (i had forgotten it was a windows not dos title) and it would give me the same error. I also had lutris log into my GoG account but it wouldn't download the titles I selected. I found you could download different wines through lutris so I grabbed version 5.4 and did get a different error message but ultimately nothing I tried worked.

They're getting closer to a fully optimized Pi 4 Windows for Arm build that has x86 emulation built in. Might have to wait until then.

As for Doom, yeah I figured that was the case as while browsing a few forums about it their was talk of the source code being available so that's why it was possible.

3 minutes ago, kanga2 said:

No Worries, I appreciate the work though!

Yeah saw the site go down and while I did wait a while to send another response I was just too tired to continue 😄 . I tried a few other things through Lutris. I had Wizardry 8 copied onto the pi (i had forgotten it was a windows not dos title) and it would give me the same error. I also had lutris log into my GoG account but it wouldn't download the titles I selected. I found you could download different wines through lutris so I grabbed version 5.4 and did get a different error message but ultimately nothing I tried worked.

They're getting closer to a fully optimized Pi 4 Windows for Arm build that has x86 emulation built in. Might have to wait until then.

As for Doom, yeah I figured that was the case as while browsing a few forums about it their was talk of the source code being available so that's why it was possible.

Ooooh! I'll have to check that out for myself 😄 (Pi 4 Windows ARM)

I hope you're able to get something running on it, and that it doesn't give you too much trouble! Don't give up on Linux / using Linux, and if you have to use a virtual-machine to play games (or dual boot), do it 😄 I tinker enough with everything that I have, so I'm more willing to waste away hundreds of hours to make something run. Case in point, I spent an entire week (almost 2) JUST to get macOS running perfectly. I then tried to install it directly onto my SSD, which was another issue. Days later I got it fully installed, only to finally realize that my Wi-Fi USB that worked in the VM, doesn't actually have support, and I'd have to use Ethernet to actually USE the OS. I just wanted to test it out, and 2 weeks of doing that let me fully figure out what I wanted and allowed me to use it without having to install it.

So, if you do have to resort to going back to Windows to play some games, don't fret it! I know for a fact that CoH (and many other games) run on Linux with relative ease, but there are some games that don't. On an x86-64 bit CPU architecture, you'll be able to do it. Just keep on testing out Linux!

Just now, kanga2 said:

There is QEMU but from what I've found its a bit broken unless you get the pi to compile it. I have no idea what its performance would be though. 😄

QEMU on the Pi? I use KVM + QEMU and it works wonderfully on x86-64, but I don't know how it performs on the Pi, giving the architectural difference with how things are processed, but I'm sure that over time It'll get better! I know it's probably not an issue for something like Power9, which is an ARM based CPU that's extremely good. It's equal to Ryzen server / Intel server + desktop stations, but quite expensive, and all American made; Check it out sometime!