How to get City of Heroes running on Linux

Daggenthal

2 hours ago, ColdZero said:

Glad you were able to get it running, and thank you for posting this here as well! Apparently they're working on a native client launcher for Windows, macOS, and Linux, so we shouldn't have these issues anymore anytime soon!

That would be awesome. Then we can talk all the playerbase into leaving Microso.... oh wait, that's not why we're here. 🙂

• 2 weeks later

Help.

I've been in the game under my Fedora 32 with everything working fine until yesterday. I ran a dfb for a new char and the game we completed the trial. Was zoning back to atlas and bam, game crash.

When I tried to log in, Tequila comes up like normal, it accepts my login info, shows me a char list, I select the char and the game loads to about 90%, the screen seems to shift to the left and the game freezes.

When I shut it down it's in a non-responsive state and I have to force quit.

Since then I've tried logging in different chars, servers, deleted the char that was on that dfb, verified the files through Tequila, played with graphics settings, even did an uninstall/reinstall and I get the same issue.

Did see this in general log files but dunno if it's related.

Wine loader has no accepted cmdline for client 38689 yet, deferring.

Skipping ioprio on client [38574,38574]: ioprio was (0) but we expected (4)

Could not inspect tasks for client [38530]! Skipping ioprio optimisation.

I'm not seeing any log info from Lutris nor any logs at all in /Home/Me/Games/CoH./logs/game directory.

To make matters stranger, I was trying to reload the game and got a char to log in. It was one I quit in a finished mish so he was logging back to Steel Canyon. So I did a change char and getting the freeze again.

On further investigation, any char I have in Atlas park will not load but if they exist in other places they will log in.

Any ideas on how to correct this or what .log files I can/should be looking at to determine the root issue?

Any help would be much appreciated.

hey all!

i can get the client to run in 32-bit, but not 64-bit. any idea what i might be missing? when it launches it just sits at the splash screen. the login boxes never appear.

i'm not using Lutris or Tequila. i'm using etoh downloader and just my native Wine with Q4Wine.

thanks!

Edited by nikodemo

10 minutes ago, nikodemo said:

hey all!

i can get the client to run in 32-bit, but not 64-bit. any idea what i might be missing? when it launches it just sits at the splash screen. the login boxes never appear.

i'm not using Lutris or Tequila. i'm using etoh downloader and just my native Wine with Q4Wine.

thanks!

Hey there! I've never heard of etoh-downloader before until now, so I won't be of any use / help here for issues with that.

I've used Tequila with Lutris, and the same for Island Rum, and they're both quite easy to setup and use for Homecoming, so I'd recommend those until the HC team releases their native Linux launcher.

I apologise for not being of any help with that launcher / downloader, and I know that my response isn't that useful with your current issue. As long as you have WINE downloaded and everything's set to use DXVK, you shouldn't have any / too many issues.

I'll look into etoh-downloader whenever I get the chance, but I'm currently nowhere near a computer, so I'm unable to at the moment.

In the meantime I'd recommend following my simple guide with setting up Tequila in Lutris, as you hopefully shouldn't have any issues with that.

Tequila running out of memory so much when downloading really bothered me so I wrote a simple bash script to replace it.

It depends on aria2c, curl and xq

#!/usr/bin/env bash
manifest_url='http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml'
xqprg='.manifest.filelist.file[] | [."@name", ."@md5", .url] | flatten | join(" ")'
curl -s "$manifest_url" | xq -r "$xqprg" | while read name md5 urls
do aria2c --checksum=md5="$md5" --out="$name" $urls
done

Anyway, onto another issue

The 64bit version does not work properly for me. the character creator does not display the character model at all, I have yet to see what it looks like in game, might check that at a later time.

The 32bit version however does work as far as ive seen so its not a big problem though.

searching the forums the only thread with something similar was this thread, in how it has the same error messages in the log (the 32 bit version has them too, but that works so i dunno)

1 minute ago, taiyu said:

Tequila running out of memory so much when downloading really bothered me so I wrote a simple bash script to replace it.

It depends on aria2c, curl and xq

#!/usr/bin/env bash
manifest_url='http://patch.savecoh.com/manifest.xml'
xqprg='.manifest.filelist.file[] | [."@name", ."@md5", .url] | flatten | join(" ")'
curl -s "$manifest_url" | xq -r "$xqprg" | while read name md5 urls
do aria2c --checksum=md5="$md5" --out="$name" $urls
done

Anyway, onto another issue

The 64bit version does not work properly for me. the character creator does not display the character model at all, I have yet to see what it looks like in game, might check that at a later time.

The 32bit version however does work as far as ive seen so its not a big problem though.

searching the forums the only thread with something similar was this thread, in how it has the same error messages in the log (the 32 bit version has them too, but that works so i dunno)

If you already had your copy of City of Heroes downloaded, all you needed to do is just locate it in Tequila, and then it will run out of memory 3 times while checking the files; Just exit it and restart it all 3 times, and then it won't happen again.

It's extremely strange how you're having these issues in the first place, honestly haha

I've only ran the 64-bit executable for the game, and never have touched the 32-bit version, so I've never encountered any of those issues you've mentioned.  Honestly, I'm unsure of how to fix / work on your issue; If you already have the game downloaded, just copy it over and locate it in Tequila. I've also provided a cleaned copy of the game, so you can just download that and point Tequila to that, it's also in the guide.

• 1 month later

I got everything up and running, ran the game, now I get incorrect game version error. 

I'm running the following:

RAM: 32 gig

Graphics: Nvidia 1060 with the 450 drivers.

I run a lot of games on this rig, so I'm surprised this game isn't updating correctly. 

Edited by Copulator

• 2 weeks later

I've been running CoX on Linux Mint 20 for a couple months. No issues at all. Easy install via Play on Linux. I'm playing on a dinosaur of a laptop Dell i3, 4gb ram & integrated graphics 😛

I was getting some frame drops on big fights, MSR's ect until I lowered graphics to performance settings.

• 1 month later

I had tequila working using WINETRICKS before... I tried to follow the Lutris instructions here, but Lutris fails on startup. When I start it from the command line I get this (with the middle junk removed for clarity). I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling Lutris. Same thing... Maybe something else needs to be updated?? There is nothing in the directory noted... but why not? Is it supposed to be installed, or maybe created on first run but doesn't have permissions?

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/games/lutris", line 54, in <module>
    from lutris.gui.application import Application  # pylint: disable=no-name-in-module
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/gui/application.py", line 53, in <module>
    from .lutriswindow import LutrisWindow
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/gui/lutriswindow.py", line 26, in <module>
    from lutris.gui.widgets.sidebar import LutrisSidebar
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/gui/widgets/sidebar.py", line 6, in <module>
    from lutris import platforms, runners, services
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/platforms.py", line 19, in <module>
    _init_platforms()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/platforms.py", line 14, in _init_platforms
    runner = runners.import_runner(runner_name)()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/runners/wine.py", line 229, in __init__
    "default": dxvk.DXVKManager().version,
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/wine/dxvk.py", line 56, in version
    return self.versions[0]
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/wine/dxvk.py", line 45, in versions
    self._versions = self.load_dxvk_versions()
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/lutris/util/wine/dxvk.py", line 65, in load_dxvk_versions
    with open(versions_path, "r") as dxvk_version_file:
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/chuck/.local/share/lutris/runtime/dxvk/dxvk_versions.json'

I tried just downloading hclauncher.exe, and right clicking on that... so far it has installed some other things like MONO (which allows for dot net stuff to run), and then something about Gecko, and now the HomeComing launcher is running and downloading files. I'm not sure if it will allow me to LAUNCH or not. I guess we will see!

TINKERERS and LEOTARDED personal supergroups on Reunion; open bases! codes TB-9014 and LT-1051

TinkerBell (MAIN) super reflexes / martial arts tanker & badge hunter; Sarabraxus, energy / energy blaster; Sarathustra, fire / therm corruptor

Scotch Bonnie / Caroline Reaper, fire/ss brutes & fire farmers; Granny Fix It / Green Granny / Great Granny, empathy/psi defenders; plus a few others.

@Xarah formerly on Champion, Triumph, Victory, now @chuckv2 / @chuckv3 / @chuckv4 on Reunion

• 11 months later