How to get City of Heroes running on Linux

Daggenthal

14 hours ago, Panthonca7034 said:

I meant the CoH Client, I'm not 100% confident the CoH server will run on 32GB of RAM and I'm trying to migrate away from Windows eventually, and I like Linux so it seemed like a Good OS to test with.

My friend runs on Debian stable (I think 10.4 or so?) with 8GB or RAM and has no issues.

I think the game will probably run on even less, I used to run it on a machine with 4GB back in the day.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

• 3 weeks later

This not only worked like a charm, but thank you so much for explaining exactly what each command was doing. I converted over to a Linux Mint user a few months ago and I am still learning so it is greatly appreciated. I can not believe I'm able to relive my CoH days. Now if only I can find some of my old Supergroup!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hyperieous said:

This not only worked like a charm, but thank you so much for explaining exactly what each command was doing. I converted over to a Linux Mint user a few months ago and I am still learning so it is greatly appreciated. I can not believe I'm able to relive my CoH days. Now if only I can find some of my old Supergroup!!!

I'm glad I could help you out! I tried my best with explaining everything clearly for newer Linux users. I've been meaning to slightly update it, but I've been so busy lately, that I haven't had time to do it hahaha.

I'll definitely get on it, though. Best of luck with finding them!

Hello & thanks for all this. I'm afraid I'm having a problem. 

Am reasonably new to the world of Linux but I have managed to get the above working smoothly on Linux Mint, Cinnamon 19.3. 
Having just moved to LM 20 + Cinnamon I find myself unable to complete the install for Homecoming. 

• Have installed the latest Lutris & Wine as part of my system rebuild. 
  • Am also able to complete all the way to Step 8 with no problems. 
  • When I try to launch the game though, I get an error - "The file /home/username/Non Linux Games/Coh Homecoming/CoH/-tequila.exe could not be found. 

(I've checked & /home/myusername/Non Linux Games/CoH Homecoming/CoH/Tequila.exe is still there). 

So, attempting to debug... 
- I've used Wine Configuration to create a drive path "G: to /home/username/Non Linux Games/ 

(which as you can see is where I've extracted CoH Homecoming.zip - same as I did under LM19.3)
(But still no luck). 

I've tried running tequila from within Wine Console
("Can't recognise 'tequila' as an internal or external command, or batch script). 

So am now out of my depth. Your assistance would be appreciated. 
- TIA,

1 hour ago, Tonori said:

Hello & thanks for all this. I'm afraid I'm having a problem. 

Am reasonably new to the world of Linux but I have managed to get the above working smoothly on Linux Mint, Cinnamon 19.3. 
Having just moved to LM 20 + Cinnamon I find myself unable to complete the install for Homecoming. 

• Have installed the latest Lutris & Wine as part of my system rebuild. 
  • Am also able to complete all the way to Step 8 with no problems. 
  • When I try to launch the game though, I get an error - "The file /home/username/Non Linux Games/Coh Homecoming/CoH/-tequila.exe could not be found. 

(I've checked & /home/myusername/Non Linux Games/CoH Homecoming/CoH/Tequila.exe is still there). 

So, attempting to debug... 
- I've used Wine Configuration to create a drive path "G: to /home/username/Non Linux Games/ 

(which as you can see is where I've extracted CoH Homecoming.zip - same as I did under LM19.3)
(But still no luck). 

I've tried running tequila from within Wine Console
("Can't recognise 'tequila' as an internal or external command, or batch script). 

So am now out of my depth. Your assistance would be appreciated. 
- TIA,

Give me a few minutes to install Linux Mint 20.04 with Cinnamon, and I'll give it a shot myself!

#Edit: I got it to run without any issues after modifying my script to detect Ulyana (Linux Mint 20.04), and didn't have that issue. I do believe it's because it's coming up with -tequila.exe at the end of the error, when it should just say tequila.exe. See if you've accidentally renamed it? Also, try out the except down below, as it should work without any issues, and you won't be using Tequila, instead you'll be using Island Rum.

I don't know if you copy-pasted that message, but at the end it says /CoH/-tequila.exe, which would be the wrong program, as it has a - infront of tequila.exe, which I'm sure you noticed.

I've been needing to update the guide, but due to current conditions, I've been extremely busy lately, but I'll go ahead and guide you towards a website that has Island Rum pre-built already for Linux. This should get you up and running, and will be the de-facto way to install+run CoH as long as it's supported by the maintainers.

Here's my excerpt from another post: This is where this except is coming from, if you want to read all of it.

Now, we're going to need to have 3 things already for this process to be simplified. These three things are as followed:

1. A copy of City of Heroes already, one that we have ourselves that we can simply copy over, or the one downloaded from the link in my guide.
  2. Wine to already be installed. If you don't have it, you can easily install it yourself by following the guide here VIA the official WineHQ website for your current flavor of Linux.
  3. A copy of the Linux version of Island Rum.

Now, with those 3 things out of the way, we need to extract islandrum-linux.zip that we've just donloaded; This can easily be done by locating the file in your ~/Downloads folder, right clicking it, and clicking "Extract Here".

Once this is done, we'll need to go inside the folders (islandrum-linux / Island Rum), and then we'll find Island Rum.x86_64.

The next step is to either right click it and click on "Run", or double-click; If we're doing this in the Terminal like I did, we just need to cd all the way to where we are, and type ./Island\ Rum.x86_64.

Now, we can either let this fully download and install the game ourselves, or, if we already have the game downloaded / a copy of it ourselves, we can just point to our new path and Island Rum will detect the change in location and just patch it.

To do this, click on the little Palm-Tree in the upper left, and a drop-down menu will appear. From here we just go down to Options, and where it says "Install Path" and has a white text-box, click inside the box to change the path. What we want to do is locate our CoH folder that we've downloaded / already have, and then we click the floppy-disk / save icon in the bottom right. Once completed, Island Rum will populate with the new location, and should download some updates.

Once that's done, click on the big right-arrow at the Bottom Right, download some Mono files that are needed (this has to be done, so just click on "Install" until it's over), and CoH 64-bit should start right away!

Try giving that a shot while I diagnose your issue on Cinnamon! Best of luck to you!

Edited by ColdZero
Added an Edit

ruminstallattempt1

Thank you so much for getting back to me so swiftly. Respect. 
Unfortunately I got caught up in a work project & am just getting to this now. 

TLDR = it started to work but quickly became an endless loop - recorded on my phone (sorry for wobble). ruminstallattempt1

I can confirm though that the error msg above is accurate. It was a dash not a tilda & the original file is not renamed. That was the message the way it came out

Also, just to emphasise I did not use your script but downloaded the latest lutris & wine from their respective websites. 
I was successful using these in installing both SWTOR & GW2 after failing to install COH.

Edited by Tonori
thought of more to say...

On 7/6/2020 at 4:48 AM, Tonori said:

ruminstallattempt1Unavailable

Thank you so much for getting back to me so swiftly. Respect. 
Unfortunately I got caught up in a work project & am just getting to this now. 

TLDR = it started to work but quickly became an endless loop - recorded on my phone (sorry for wobble).  ruminstallattempt1Unavailable

I can confirm though that the error msg above is accurate. It was a dash not a tilda & the original file is not renamed. That was the message the way it came out

Also, just to emphasise I did not use your script but downloaded the latest lutris & wine from their respective websites. 
I was successful using these in installing both SWTOR & GW2 after failing to install COH.

Apologies, as I've been busy hanging out with friends a lot more recently, and I haven't been able to respond quickly.

For some reason I am unable to watch the files you've uploaded, so I can't seem to figure it out that way. (Edit: If you can, upload it as a private video and post the link here, or DM me the link if you'd prefer it that way!)

Are you using your own files, or the ones that I've hosted on Mega? If you want, you can download my copy (it needs to be updated), that comes completely clean. You will need to copy over your saves / screenshots, though, if you want to keep them.

If Lutris and Wine work already, and you're able to play games on them, then the fault comes with CoH itself. Try grabbing my copy of it, and let me know how it turns out! All my script did was determine your flavor / version of Linux that you're using, properly install wine-stable for it, and then install Lutris, so there's nothing truly fancy with it besides that.

I'm actually really curious as to why yours won't boot up, so, keep me posted please! I'll keep trying to help you as much as I can!

Edited by ColdZero
Added edit about posting the link to YouTube / or as a private DM.

I could really use some hand-holding here. New to Linux and just installed Mint 20 yesterday. I followed instructions here and elsewhere on installing Wine and Island Rum. I had City on my Windows 7 partition and copied it over to my documents folder and installed Island Rum next to that.

I ran Rum and pointed it to the CoH folder. It ran the manifest and says "Ready To Play". When I try to launch it says "Launching Homecoming (64-bit) for about 10 seconds, then reverts back to "Ready To Play".

When I Re-Scan, it processes through all the files, so I'm almost positive I've pointed Rum to the right spot.

I installed Lutris, but have no idea what I'm supposed to do there, or even if it should be pointing to City or Island Rum.

Any ideas on what to try next?

1 minute ago, Trick said:

I could really use some hand-holding here. New to Linux and just installed Mint 20 yesterday. I followed instructions here and elsewhere on installing Wine and Island Rum. I had City on my Windows 7 partition and copied it over to my documents folder and installed Island Rum next to that.

I ran Rum and pointed it to the CoH folder. It ran the manifest and says "Ready To Play". When I try to launch it says "Launching Homecoming (64-bit) for about 10 seconds, then reverts back to "Ready To Play".

When I Re-Scan, it processes through all the files, so I'm almost positive I've pointed Rum to the right spot.

I installed Lutris, but have no idea what I'm supposed to do there, or even if it should be pointing to City or Island Rum.

Any ideas on what to try next?

You're the second user to say that they're having issues with Linux Mint 20.04. I'm beginning to wonder if it's something on their side, as I also had issues with my script and had to re-write a good bit of it, just to make it work specifically for LM 20.04.

For now, I'd suggest reverting back to LM 19.3, or swapping to Ubuntu (I know), or even Debian itself / Fedora, until I can finally figure this issue out. Strangely enough, doing it myself, I never encountered any issues... so I honestly am at a loss as to why it's not working, and so I'm continually trying to reproduce these errors.

What specs do you have? GPU / CPU is mainly what I need. One fix I had was where the game wouldn't open, and that was due to me being on Intel and leaving my iGPU (Integrated Graphics) on. I had to disable it in the Bios, and then I was able to play.

11 minutes ago, ColdZero said:

You're the second user to say that they're having issues with Linux Mint 20.04. I'm beginning to wonder if it's something on their side, as I also had issues with my script and had to re-write a good bit of it, just to make it work specifically for LM 20.04.

For now, I'd suggest reverting back to LM 19.3, or swapping to Ubuntu (I know), or even Debian itself / Fedora, until I can finally figure this issue out. Strangely enough, doing it myself, I never encountered any issues... so I honestly am at a loss as to why it's not working, and so I'm continually trying to reproduce these errors.

What specs do you have? GPU / CPU is mainly what I need. One fix I had was where the game wouldn't open, and that was due to me being on Intel and leaving my iGPU (Integrated Graphics) on. I had to disable it in the Bios, and then I was able to play.

Unfortunately, there's no reverting for me, as this was my first Linux install. Also, somehow during the process, both my bios and grub are refusing to see my prior Windows 7 installation and I can't figure out how to boot back into Win7. Even selecting the HD with Win7 during bootup doesn't work.

I appreciate your efforts and hope a solution is soon forthcoming!

4 minutes ago, Trick said:

Unfortunately, there's no reverting for me, as this was my first Linux install. Also, somehow during the process, both my bios and grub are refusing to see my prior Windows 7 installation and I can't figure out how to boot back into Win7. Even selecting the HD with Win7 during bootup doesn't work.

I appreciate your efforts and hope a solution is soon forthcoming!

For your Lutris question, here's something I wrote out for you. Also, with your inability to see your W7 installation, I will also leave you a link to fix GRUB, as that's typically the issue when you're unable to see your Windows installation anymore. If you accidentally wiped Windows, then there's no way to fix that. If instead you chose "Install alongside Windows Bootloader", then the link I've given you should suffice.

Ah, Lutris; I really should've left my old version of the guide up... Anyways, with Lutris, it's basically a launcher for games / programs that you can run with Wine. Think of it like Steam, but you need to manually give it a "Runner", which is its rendering device.

Anyways, go into the upper left where the + is, and click "Add Game...". Once done, and we're in the tab "Game info", name the game you're using (Here I type CoH: HC), and click on the "Runner" drop-down box to select "Wine".

Once that is done, go to the "Game Options" tab, and for the Executable, browse to your Tequila.exe that's located inside your CoH folder. Do this again for Working Directory, but don't select anything, just navigate to the CoH folder and go inside of it where everything is.

Next, go to "Runner options" , and enable "VKD3D". If the game still doesn't work, disable "DXVK", and then click save. Click on CoH:HC, and click "Play".

It will run, and say that you need to download some Mono files; Download them (usually 3), and then while the program is executing, it will say it's running out of memory. Close Tequila by clicking the X, and then click "Ok" on the pop-up. Now, just re-run CoH:HC to launch Tequila again, and re-do this process until it's all done. It should work by now.

Don't worry! I'll keep trying until I figure something out!

40 minutes ago, ColdZero said:

For your Lutris question, here's something I wrote out for you. Also, with your inability to see your W7 installation, I will also leave you a link to fix GRUB, as that's typically the issue when you're unable to see your Windows installation anymore. If you accidentally wiped Windows, then there's no way to fix that. If instead you chose "Install alongside Windows Bootloader", then the link I've given you should suffice.

Don't worry! I'll keep trying until I figure something out!

Thanks, man!

I know my W7 is still there. I can mount and view the partition and I can see all the folders are intact. I'm hopefully getting help from the Mint IRC group tomorrow on getting that sorted. I'll check out your GRUB link in the meantime. Thanks again!

30 minutes ago, Trick said:

Thanks, man!

I know my W7 is still there. I can mount and view the partition and I can see all the folders are intact. I'm hopefully getting help from the Mint IRC group tomorrow on getting that sorted. I'll check out your GRUB link in the meantime. Thanks again!

Let me know when you can try out the Lutris thing, and let me know if it fixes the issue for you! If It does, I'll rewrite the old guide and tack it back onto here.

That link SHOULD help you get W7 to show back up, and if not, good luck with the IRC group! Anytime, and good luck!

On 7/9/2020 at 5:00 PM, ColdZero said:

Let me know when you can try out the Lutris thing, and let me know if it fixes the issue for you! If It does, I'll rewrite the old guide and tack it back onto here.

That link SHOULD help you get W7 to show back up, and if not, good luck with the IRC group! Anytime, and good luck!

Thanks again! I had some technical issues I needed to work out and have been gone for a few days. I eventually got my system to find Windows again by creating a boot disk for the boot repair program. It was able to write me a new MBR. After all those issues, and the fact that I was still very new to Linux, I decided to reformat my Linux drive and install Mint again, but 19.3 instead of 20. I figured 19.3 would be more stable and more things would work. The jury's still out on that theory.

I haven't had a chance to dig into Lutris, yet. It's still a bit daunting with me knowing nothing about Linux. Also, since I haven't installed anything else, I couldn't even test it to see if it worked, then I've got (at least) 4 possible points of breakage (Lutris, Wine, Island Rum, CoH) and no idea how to troubleshoot.

Now that I'm running 19.3, do you recommend going back and trying your instructions again, first?

1 hour ago, Trick said:

Thanks again! I had some technical issues I needed to work out and have been gone for a few days. I eventually got my system to find Windows again by creating a boot disk for the boot repair program. It was able to write me a new MBR. After all those issues, and the fact that I was still very new to Linux, I decided to reformat my Linux drive and install Mint again, but 19.3 instead of 20. I figured 19.3 would be more stable and more things would work. The jury's still out on that theory.

I haven't had a chance to dig into Lutris, yet. It's still a bit daunting with me knowing nothing about Linux. Also, since I haven't installed anything else, I couldn't even test it to see if it worked, then I've got (at least) 4 possible points of breakage (Lutris, Wine, Island Rum, CoH) and no idea how to troubleshoot.

Now that I'm running 19.3, do you recommend going back and trying your instructions again, first?

Well, my instructions now consist of just going to the Wine website, and following the list of commands to grab. For you, it will be this set of commands to run inside your Terminal, but first, make sure to update your installation.

sudo apt update -y

The instructions for Wine that you, specifically, will use, are as followed:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 

wget -O - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add - 

sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main' 

sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable -y

Now, another way of doing this instead of copy-pasting it all manually, you can just add the && operator in between each commands, which looks like this:

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && wget -O - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add - && sudo add-apt-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main' && sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable -y

For you to obtain Lutris, we'll do it through the Terminal again, with the instructions from their website.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:lutris-team/lutris &&  sudo apt-get update &&  sudo apt-get install lutris -y

Now you should have both of those installed. Lutris may say something about how they've moved to lutris-stable, but that should be updated soon automatically.

Anyways, now you just need to either install it the old way, or follow along with my guide and see if you can get it running!

You've already gotten the steps done where you need Wine installed, now you just need to grab Island Rum and follow along with the guide! Let me know if you have any other issues!

26 minutes ago, ColdZero said:

Now you should have both of those installed. Lutris may say something about how they've moved to lutris-stable, but that should be updated soon automatically.

Anyways, now you just need to either install it the old way, or follow along with my guide and see if you can get it running!

You've already gotten the steps done where you need Wine installed, now you just need to grab Island Rum and follow along with the guide! Let me know if you have any other issues!

Cool. Is there a reason why I should follow the commands above to install Wine rather than just install from Mint's Software Manager?

Hey. I was thinking I needed to copy my City folder over -- I installed City on a separate drive from Windows. Should it be possible to somehow point either Wine or Lutris to that folder and use the same install for both Windows and Mint?

Also, excuse my ignorance. Should I try to get City running just in Wine first and then try to incorporate Lutris?

Edited by Trick

19 minutes ago, Trick said:

Cool. Is there a reason why I should follow the commands above to install Wine rather than just install from Mint's Software Manager?

Hey. I was thinking I needed to copy my City folder over -- I installed City on a separate drive from Windows. Should it be possible to somehow point either Wine or Lutris to that folder and use the same install for both Windows and Mint?

Also, excuse my ignorance. Should I try to get City running just in Wine first and then try to incorporate Lutris?

Personally, I prefer using CLI, so that's why I use the Terminal all the time, and my commands are for the Terminal, but typically you're guaranteed to get more "up-to-date" packages if done by CLI, than if you were to use a GUI package manager, but then again it really depends on which GUI Package Manager you use.

Yes, you should copy over CoH to your Linux folder; The only reason why you'd access your Windows drive to run CoH on Linux, is mainly for screenshots + outfits to be synchronized, but honestly you can just copy those over, or you'll always have to make sure that your Windows drive is mounted BEFORE you run CoH, as you'll run into errors where it says that the game directory doesn't exist, and then you just have to open it up in your file-manager to auto-mount the drive. It's do-able, but you can give yourself a headache if you forget to mount it and wonder why it isn't working anymore.

You seem to be confused at to what WINE actually does, so let me explain it for you real quick! WINE itself stands for "Wine Is Not an Emulator", but think of it as the execution layer for the programs. Yes, you can specifically, manually, run games via CLI with WINE, but it's much easier to use a program to run games on WINE, such as Lutris. So, you should instead think of "I'm using Lutris to run CoH, but it's using WINE as an execution layer". Well, that's how I would, but someone could correct me if I'm wrong!

Honestly, you should try using Island Rum, as it's mainly designed for CoH usage, but if you'd prefer to use Lutris, that's fine as well! Just make sure that when you're setting up CoH: HC in Lutris, to not use some "Automatically set up CoH in Lutris" tool, as those could be out of date and just ruin your setup.

Let me know if you're going to be using Island Rum, and if not, I can quickly write out how to set this up for Lutris.

Edited by ColdZero

I'm slowly beginning to understand. At least in regards to WINE.

From what you said, it sounded like I could either run City using Lutris OR Island Rum. I thought Island Rum was required to "bypass" the need for NCSoft's authentication servers. At the very least, I thought I would be using Lutris to run Island Rum (which, in turn, runs City). Am I mistaken?

Just now, Trick said:

I'm slowly beginning to understand. At least in regards to WINE.

From what you said, it sounded like I could either run City using Lutris OR Island Rum. I thought Island Rum was required to "bypass" the need for NCSoft's authentication servers. At the very least, I thought I would be using Lutris to run Island Rum (which, in turn, runs City). Am I mistaken?

Exactly! Lutris and Island Rum are launches to play games, whereas Lutris is a global launcher (like Steam and its many games), while Island Rum is specifically tailored for City of Heroes.

No need to bypass any authentication servers, as they've been down for so long, and the Source-Code was leaked a year+ ago, so there's no real need to do any bypassing.

Yes, you're mistaken, which is okay! They're both just game launchers. Lutris is like Steam, where you can add 'Non-Steam Games" to your library, and run them, whereas Island Rum was made specifically to run City of Heroes without any true hassle.

I tried installing Wine per your commands. At some point (I didn't see what % complete it was), it appeared to dump out and said

Errors were encountered while processing: /tmp/...109-libsanel_1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2.2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Also, when I copy over City, where should I put it? In my Documents folder?

Edited by Trick

3 minutes ago, Trick said:

I tried installing Wine per your commands. At some point (I didn't see what % complete it was), it appeared to dump out and said

Errors were encountered while processing: /tmp/...109-libsanel_1.0.27-1~experimental3ubuntu2.2_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

That's quite strange as to why it's pumping out an experimental build for the package... Here, remove WINE completely by doing this:

sudo apt remove wine-stable --purge -y

Then, try installing it through the GUI that you mentioned earlier (Software Manager), and see if the error is reproduced. Did you do an update + upgrade before running that command?

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y

If not, purge WINE first, then run the update / upgrade command, and THEN try doing it again. If the error persists, re-purge it, and try to use the Package Manager.

Edited by ColdZero

2 minutes ago, ColdZero said:

Did you do an update + upgrade before running that command?

Yes, when I ran it first, it said there were 7 updated items. I went to Update Manager, updated through there, then ran the command again and it told me everything was then up-to-date before I ran the WINE commands.

Found a thread on linuxmint.com on how to install WINE on Mint 19.3 by installing the WINE installer and running that. I issued the command in the terminal and that failed.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 wine-installer : Depends: winehq-stable but it is not going to be installed or
                           winehq-devel but it is not going to be installed or
                           winehq-staging but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

So yeah. Not sure what I did wrong, but no idea how to fix.

Edited by Trick

So much for 19.3 being stable, at least for me. So far, nothing I've tried to install has worked so far. Been trying 3 days to get my scanner to work. Granted, that's about all I've tried to install so far. Thought I'd take a break from that and up my spirits by installing something else.

2 minutes ago, Trick said:

So much for 19.3 being stable, at least for me. So far, nothing I've tried to install has worked so far. Been trying 3 days to get my scanner to work. Granted, that's about all I've tried to install so far. Thought I'd take a break from that and up my spirits by installing something else.

I'm sorry that you're having issues. Some scanners / printers work, and some don't, but I've never used any of them for Linux.

If you can, please purge WINE with the command that I listed earlier, and try running my custom command that I personally use for 19.3

sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 && wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key && wget -qO - https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/winehq.key | sudo apt-key add - && sudo apt-add-repository 'deb https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/ bionic main' -y && sudo add-apt-repository ppa:cybermax-dexter/sdl2-backport -y && sudo apt-get update && wget -O- -q https://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/xUbuntu_18.04/Release.key | sudo apt-key add -    && echo "deb http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Emulators:/Wine:/Debian/xUbuntu_18.04 ./" | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/wine-obs.list && sudo apt update && sudo apt install --install-recommends winehq-stable -y

But, before you do that: Purge WINE, then do an update, and THEN run that command.