How to get City of Heroes running on Linux

Daggenthal

Hey there! Klypso from Homecoming/Excelsior here. This is a guide on how to play City of Heroes on Linux. We will be running the 64-Bit version of City of Heroes, if you are curious.

This guide presumes that you already have you GPU drivers installed. NVIDIA users (may) have to install it themselves, while AMD users (may) not have to, but it doesn't hurt to check. If you have any issues, PLEASE make sure you've installed your GPU drivers properly. Also, if you're using an iGPU (Integrated GPU), disabling it should fix some issues that you may run into.

Edit: There has been an official post by GM Tahquitz on how to use the new Homecoming launcher in order to download / install / setup HC to run on Linux. Please check it out here if you have issues with this one, or you want to use the official guide: Official Guide by GM Tahquitz.

Edit 2: There have been some issues with rolling release distros that're on WINE 5.18 where HC doesn't launch at all, or has issues launching. I've been currently bypassing this issue by using the 32-bit client instead of the 64-bit one. Please, if you are having issues as well, try setting your Architecture to the 32-bit version within the official HC launcher, or through Tequila by using the second option.

Tips are BLUE

Attentions are RED

My system specs:

*Pop!_OS 20.04

*i7-4770 with Kernel version 5.4.0-7634-generic

*Nvidia GTX 970 (using driver 440.100)

*16GB DDR3 RAM

To be able to do this, you'll need the files for i24 / Homecoming. If you don't already have it, then you can click this link here to download the files. They will be out of date, so we'll be updating them later on in the guide ourselves.

Please note that FireFox can't download files past a certain size with that link, so you will need to use Chrome / Chromium to download the game.

Prerequisites:
    *Linux
    *A dedicated graphics card (although integrated graphics should run as well, although I haven't tested)
    *A dual-core CPU (Tested on an i3-4130, i7-4770, and an AMD FX 4300 CPU) or better.
    *At least 4GB of RAM

The start of the guide

Now, we're going to need to have 3 things already for this process to be simplified. These three things are as followed:

1. A copy of City of Heroes already, one that we have ourselves that we can simply copy over, or the one downloaded from the link above.
  2. Wine to already be installed. If you don't have it, you can easily install it yourself by following the guide here VIA the official WineHQ website for your current flavor of Linux. Just search for your flavor (Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora) and open the Terminal, then copy-paste the commands it gives you to follow. Make sure to grab winehq-stable.
  3. For Lutris to be installed. Grab it here. 

We're going to go ahead and make sure that you have WINE properly installed. To do this, please run this in your Terminal. Do note that your version may be different than mine as this guide ages.

Wine.png.d44251d40efb32c3382230ded55c2638.png

Next, we have to add City of Heroes: Homecoming (CoH: HC) to Lutris. The video below will show you how to do so. Please note that it's a little fast as I need to be quick due to "Max total size" limits for uploading, and as such I had to compress the videos. Please, full-screen the videos so you can follow along.

When you run CoH: HC (Tequila) for the first time, you'll encounter 3 of these pop-ups. They're necessary to run the program, so please, install them.

W3.png.3eb0e989ea3e1c4aee06e39182b41a5c.png

Once that's done and those files are installed, we need to navigate to the CoH: HC directory, which is shown in this video. Please note that your directory may be different if you've placed it in a different folder.

While validating files, you (may) come across an error that states "Insufficient Memory". Getting past this is simple, just exit out of Tequila first, and then click "Ok", as shown below

Please note that it will always say that "The file Tequila.exe already exists", just click "Ok", as it doesn't matter.

That's it! Every time you want to play CoH: HC, you need to run Lutris, then CoH: HC, then the 64-bit version of the game. Tequila will automatically update as it normally does.

I hope this helps you with getting CoH: HC running on Linux! If you have any issues, please, post something here and I'll try my best to help you out!

Edited by Klypso
Fixed spelling errors
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Flitze said:

Works like a charm, thanks ! Loading maps is somewhat slower than Windows but somehow the character selection loads way faster which makes switching toons much faster under Linux.

I'm glad to hear that! Yeah, I was having the same issue, but then I moved it to my SSD and all was well. Let me know if you have any issues!

8 hours ago, skabooty said:

Let me know if you have any issues!

Indeed, I have. Not a big one, though. How do I get Tequila to be able to access encrypted websites ? (Though I guess it's more something missing in Wine...)

The beta client manifest is here: https://manifest.cohhc.gg/testing.xml

Tequila error message:

Manifest download error for https://manifest.cohhc.gg/testing.xml
Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)

15 hours ago, Flitze said:

Indeed, I have. Not a big one, though. How do I get Tequila to be able to access encrypted websites ? (Though I guess it's more something missing in Wine...)

The beta client manifest is here: https://manifest.cohhc.gg/testing.xml

Tequila error message:

Manifest download error for https://manifest.cohhc.gg/testing.xml
Error: SecureChannelFailure (The authentication or decryption has failed.)

You're trying to access the Pineapple server, right? If so, it should just work automatically. I haven't tested it myself, but I just presumed so.

That does seem like an issue with Wine, though. I'll have to try it out sometime myself and see if I can figure it out. Good luck! Sorry for the late responses, as I've been quite busy lately haha

I'm not THE best when it comes to WINE or Lutris, but I know enough to set things up. I'm curious, though. De-tick D9VK and use DXVK, and see if that improves your loadtimes + fps for you. You can check the fps by typing /showfps 1 in the chat box.

I have two OS' on the same PC, Win 7 and Linux.

So I can compare the performance of both. And the problem with the beta manifest I have only with Wine. But maybe I shall try Proton...

Btw. FPS are not the problem at all but in MAG iTrial I didn't see some of the storm patches created by Tyrant. This didn't happen in Windows so far.

4 hours ago, Flitze said:

I have two OS' on the same PC, Win 7 and Linux.

So I can compare the performance of both. And the problem with the beta manifest I have only with Wine. But maybe I shall try Proton...

Btw. FPS are not the problem at all but in MAG iTrial I didn't see some of the storm patches created by Tyrant. This didn't happen in Windows so far.

That's quite strange that those patches didn't appear, maybe it was a graphical setting? Do note that Proton is also Wine, just Valves version of it, so let me know how it goes for you!

No change concerning https, regardless which Wine/Proton version I'm using. I think it's a problem of a quirky Wine installation. When I have time I may try to deinstall everything Wine-related and reinstall it. Other players had issues with those non-shown patches, too. Maybe graphics settings.

Thanks for your help ! 🙂

Edited by Flitze
submitted too early

On 2/12/2020 at 4:06 PM, Flitze said:

No change concerning https, regardless which Wine/Proton version I'm using. I think it's a problem of a quirky Wine installation. When I have time I may try to deinstall everything Wine-related and reinstall it. Other players had issues with those non-shown patches, too. Maybe graphics settings.

Thanks for your help ! 🙂

Apologies for not responding fast enough! I'm so busy lately, that I don't have a chance to relax and check this. Aaaah I'm curious if Windows users also have those issues, and you're welcome! I hope it all works out in the end :D

• 3 weeks later

Thanks for your post it helped a lot. I read your post and the info at WineHQ and Lutris but followed the steps in another post because it was more directed at Linux Mint 19.3 (which I use) and there seemed to be another step involved.

https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-wine-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-desktop/

i only had a few minor issues:

-I had never used Lutris before so it took a bit to find the right setting in the left panel- something about how it sees Wine. Once i had that figured out Tequila began working.

-Since I had all the Paragonchat files I planned to use the same folder but Tequila didn't like that so did a clean install.

-As Tequila finished up it complained that Paragonchat.exe was missing. i just copied the file from my other folder and Tequila finished the install. (I have passed this point on in another forum post).

So I am running an Intel i5-64, Nvidia Geforce 750ti, 8g ram, Linux Mint 19.3. i used Wine 5 stable and the latest Lutris.

I load from Lutris and it starts a bit slow then Tequila tells me it is patched. Once the launcher is up the game loads fast and is as smooth and fun as when I played on Windows 7 a few weeks ago.

It's good to be home!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gromartwo said:

Thanks for your post it helped a lot. I read your post and the info at WineHQ and Lutris but followed the steps in another post because it was more directed at Linux Mint 19.3 (which I use) and there seemed to be another step involved.

https://computingforgeeks.com/how-to-install-wine-on-ubuntu-linux-mint-desktop/

i only had a few minor issues:

-I had never used Lutris before so it took a bit to find the right setting in the left panel- something about how it sees Wine. Once i had that figured out Tequila began working.

-Since I had all the Paragonchat files I planned to use the same folder but Tequila didn't like that so did a clean install.

-As Tequila finished up it complained that Paragonchat.exe was missing. i just copied the file from my other folder and Tequila finished the install. (I have passed this point on in another forum post).

So I am running an Intel i5-64, Nvidia Geforce 750ti, 8g ram, Linux Mint 19.3. i used Wine 5 stable and the latest Lutris.

I load from Lutris and it starts a bit slow then Tequila tells me it is patched. Once the launcher is up the game loads fast and is as smooth and fun as when I played on Windows 7 a few weeks ago.

It's good to be home!

That's very strange, as our versions are built on the same build (Ubuntu derivative, which is also a fork off of Debian), so you can just follow along in this guide and it will work just as well! I'm sorry you had so many issues, but I am glad they're resolved! Let me know if you have any more issues!

I was thinking about creating a video where I go through this process again, but let me know what you think! This works on (nearly) all flavors of Linux. The steps I've provided will work on Debian (Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kubuntu, Lubuntu), while Arch, Fedora, Gentoo, and the others may need some extra work.

Edited by skabooty

Since I've been fooling around with one lately and know absolutely nothing about linux other than a few lines i copy and pasted from various websites, what do you think is the likelihood of getting CoH running on the Raspberry Pi. The model I have is the Pi 4B 4Gb version. I run a 32Gb MicroSD and an external drive via USB on it. It is a quad core and currently clocked at 1.8Ghz

22 hours ago, skabooty said:

That's very strange, as our versions are built on the same build (Ubuntu derivative, which is also a fork off of Debian), so you can just follow along in this guide and it will work just as well! I'm sorry you had so many issues, but I am glad they're resolved! Let me know if you have any more issues!

I was thinking about creating a video where I go through this process again, but let me know what you think! This works on (nearly) all flavors of Linux. The steps I've provided will work on Debian (Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kubuntu, Lubuntu), while Arch, Fedora, Gentoo, and the others may need some extra work.

I think the first two issues were just me being overly cautious and unfamiliar with Wine and Lutris. The Paragonchat one is odd and could stump a new user of COH but in a fix they could just click on the appropriate COH install.

Your tutorial is great. The only reason I used another is you are using a later build and other sites offered easy copy options for the kernel I'm using. I think a video would be a great idea and you could link to the WineHQ and Lutris sites (they have info for other distributions too) and possibly the site I used.

I didn't use an installer from Lutris  (https://lutris.net/games/city-of-heroes/) but noticed the Paragonchat issue mentioned:

When run for the first time it will ask for an install directory. You can use what is selected by default.

The Tequila client may have issues downloading some of the other software it can run like paragon chat. This will prevent the play button from appearing. You can by pass that by just double clicking on Homecoming in the navbar to load the game.

After loading the game you might need to hit "Alt-Enter" to change to windowed mode as the resolution may not be supported.

There was a patch today and Tequila installed it properly.

I haven't tried going to the beta server but remember some issues with "manifest.cohhc.gg/testing.xml" back when using Windows. I stuck to the old beta manifest then.

I did try "Alt-Enter" to change resolution and then resized my window but changed back to full screen and had to reposition all of my game windows. lol. One benefit of Windowed mode was I could check things in the wiki if needed.

Edited by gromartwo

On 3/17/2020 at 10:04 PM, gromartwo said:

Your tutorial is great. The only reason I used another is you are using a later build and other sites offered easy copy options for the kernel I'm using. I think a video would be a great idea and you could link to the WineHQ and Lutris sites (they have info for other distributions too) and possibly the site I used.

Ah, apologies if you didn't notice them, but I had already linked to both Lutris and Wines' download pages for specific distributions haha.

Also, for your mention of being unfamiliar with Wine + Lutris; Lutris is a simplified program launcher, and Wine is the collection of tools that are required to run games.

There really shouldn't be any issue with the Kernel, as you can copy + paste the commands I had listed, and it will download the latest versions for whatever build you're using, but that's okay! In the end, I am happy you got it working 😄

Yeah, I downloaded my patches as well with no issues, and honestly never had any problems with them!

I'm sorry for the late responses, the website doesn't notify me quickly when I get one.

Edited by skabooty

On 3/17/2020 at 2:57 PM, kanga2 said:

Since I've been fooling around with one lately and know absolutely nothing about linux other than a few lines i copy and pasted from various websites, what do you think is the likelihood of getting CoH running on the Raspberry Pi. The model I have is the Pi 4B 4Gb version. I run a 32Gb MicroSD and an external drive via USB on it. It is a quad core and currently clocked at 1.8Ghz

I've checked out the specs of the model you currently have, and compared it to the (old) requirements that I could find for CoH/V. The RPi 4B 4GB SHOULD be able to run it. The CPU is good enough, but I'm unsure about the on-board GPU of the RPi 4B. NOOBS (the version of Debian that they use), is, well, Debian. That alone should enable you to be able to install Wine and Lutris. 

I'd love to get my own RPi as I've wanted one for years now, and this would be a good (and fun) experiment to try!

Let me know how it works / runs for you!

1 hour ago, TrishaTwilight said:

This was great, everything worked and it launched. However, now that I have closed it, how do I get it back?

Lutris or CoH? You just need to re-launch Lutris, then click on CoH and launch it; You can exit out of the Lutris launcher, and also exit out of Tequila once the game is loading 😄 If you are on Gnome, you can just press the Windows (Super) key to search, and just type Lutris and press enter.

I'm glad that it helped you out!

Let us know if you have any luck getting CoH running on the Raspberry Pi. You might have to use qemm to emulate an x86 CPU, since rpi uses an ARM SOC.

AFAIK, qemm is the most efficient way to emulate an x86 on ARM.

Someone more capable than I might be able to take the source code and recompile the client for ARM. That would almost certainly let the Pi run CoH, it has done well with other games, at least on the 4GB Pi 4.

Personally, I use PlayOnLinux to run CoH on Fedora 31, and it works quite well. But that's on an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, so YMMV.

Edited by DoctorDitko

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

1 minute ago, DoctorDitko said:

Let us know if you have any luck getting CoH running on the Raspberry Pi. You might have to use qemm to emulate an x86 CPU, since rpi uses an ARM SOC.

AFAIK, qemm is the most efficient way to emulate an x86 on ARM.

Someone more capable than I might be able to take the source code and recompile the client for ARM. That would almost certainly let the Pi run CoH, it has done well with other games, at least on the 4GB Pi 4.

Personally, I use PlayOnLinux to run CoH on Fedora 31, and it works quite well.

That's wonderful to know! I'll have to look into that personally, as I know it HAS the specs to run it, while the only issue may be the onboard GPU.

I'm currently finalizing a script I've worked on for a few hours that just checks which version people are using (for Ubuntu / Mint / Pop!_OS") and sets them up with Wine and Lutris.

Cool!

I'll try to translate for RPM-based distros like Fedora once you're done.

(I'm stuck working from home for a while, and one of my jobs is to practice shell scripting. I think this qualifies!)

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

3 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Cool!

I'll try to translate for RPM-based distros like Fedora once you're done.

(I'm stuck working from home for a while, and one of my jobs is to practice shell scripting. I think this qualifies!)

I can add in Fedora 30/31 support real fast if you'd like! It'd just take a little longer to thoroughly test, because I spin up VM's and re-run the script every time to make sure nothing went wrong. I could honestly add support for openSUSE and Arch as well, but for I keep debating on it. What do you think?

Just now, kanga2 said:

Not sure this is going to work on ARM but i'll give it a shot

As long as you can install Wine and Lutris, you can play CoH. If the script doesn't work, look up how to do it (install Wine and Lutris) for your version 😄

1 minute ago, skabooty said:

As long as you can install Wine and Lutris, you can play CoH. If the script doesn't work, look up how to do it (install Wine and Lutris) for your version 😄

Well I know Wine isn't an issue. we'll see 🙂