How to get City of Heroes running on Linux

Daggenthal

8 minutes ago, Trick said:

Did you have that link to Rufus, or do you think it’s okay to use Etcher since that’s what the Linux Mint site recommends?

Rufus, and it's here https://rufus.ie/

Don't get the portable one, just Rufus 3.11. I've never had any real issues with Rufus, and to be honest I've used it for a year now, and have had only one problem that was my own mistake. Just plug in the USB, select the ISO, and just format / wipe it. It will ask about DD mode or just, just keep clicking continue, as those modes only truly matter for specific things, and you shouldn't deviate from the normal settings that are automatically picked, at least 95% of the times.

5 hours ago, ColdZero said:

Rufus, and it's here https://rufus.ie/

Don't get the portable one, just Rufus 3.11. I've never had any real issues with Rufus, and to be honest I've used it for a year now, and have had only one problem that was my own mistake. Just plug in the USB, select the ISO, and just format / wipe it. It will ask about DD mode or just, just keep clicking continue, as those modes only truly matter for specific things, and you shouldn't deviate from the normal settings that are automatically picked, at least 95% of the times.

Okay. Formatting as FAT32 (default) and installing.

Just now, Trick said:

Okay. Formatting as FAT32 (default) and installing.

Alrighty, and when you have it installed after you reboot it, run my update command from earlier, and then once that's done, just run the script I posted as well! Hopefully it just works right away! At least it should, hahaha

Okay...no idea what this means. Immediately after starting to copy the ISO to the drive, I get this message...

This image uses Syslinux 6.03/20171017 but this application only includes the installation files for Syslinux 6.04/pre1.

As new versions of Syslinux are not compatible with one another, and it wouldn't be possible for Rufus to include them all, two additional files must be downloaded from the Internet (Idlinux.sys and Idlinux.bss): select Yes to download, No to cancel.

3 minutes ago, Trick said:

Reinstalling now. I selected to install 3rd party software for graphics and ... other media. 
Also selected: Erase Linux Mint 19.3 Tricia and reinstall. 

Typically whenever you install an OS, and it gives you the "3rd party software" option, that means stuff that isn't "Free and Open Source" like NVIDIA driver's

, or printer driver's, so you'll be wanting to select that for every install

2 minutes ago, Trick said:

When should I do the "first steps" stuff in the Welcome app (setup snapshots, update drivers, etc.)?

So once you've installed the OS, and the welcome screen pops up. Close out of it, and run my update script from a page ago. Once that finished, immediately follow the steps provided in the same post to run my script that installs Wine and Lutris

1 minute ago, ColdZero said:

So once you've installed the OS, and the welcome screen pops up. Close out of it, and run my update script from a page ago. Once that finished, immediately follow the steps provided in the same post to run my script that installs Wine and Lutris

Yeah, I was planning on that. I'm currently running your script. That didn't answer my question.

2 minutes ago, Trick said:

Yeah, I was planning on that. I'm currently running your script. That didn't answer my question.

Oh, so setting up a snapshot is something you do whenever you'd like. It's basically a restore point. Personally, I never do it even though I should. Drivers and the rest are automatically obtained, and updated, with that update command that I posted earlier. If you have an NVIDIA card, you'll have to install the driver manually yourself for that to work. Ubuntu automatically installs the NVIDIA drivers for you.

4 minutes ago, Trick said:

Do I just double-click on your script in the downloads folder to run it?

No, I have the steps posted in the same post as that one; Open up the Terminal, CD to it's directory wherever it's downloaded to, typically it's: cd ~/Downloads/ , and then sudo chmod +x Wine_and_Lutris_script.sh ; Once done, do ./Wi and press tab to autocomplete, then press enter to execute it

Edited by ColdZero

1 minute ago, ColdZero said:

No, I have the steps posted in the same post as that one; Open up the Terminal, CD to it's directory wherever it's downloaded to, typically it's: cd ~/Downloads/ , and then sudo chmod +x Wine_and_Lutris_script.sh ; Once done, do ./Wi and press tab to autocomplete

Okay. Sorry. That's just me being an idiot and not reading ahead.

6 minutes ago, ColdZero said:

Hahaha you're alright, don't worry! Let me know if any errors occurr.

None that I saw.

wine-5.0.1
2020-07-18 18:30:42,958: MAME XML generation launched in the background, not returning anything this time
2020-07-18 18:30:42,959: Getting full game list from MAME...
2020-07-18 18:30:42,960: MAME isn't installed, can't retrieve systems list.
lutris-0.5.7

1 minute ago, Trick said:

None that I saw.

wine-5.0.1
2020-07-18 18:30:42,958: MAME XML generation launched in the background, not returning anything this time
2020-07-18 18:30:42,959: Getting full game list from MAME...
2020-07-18 18:30:42,960: MAME isn't installed, can't retrieve systems list.
lutris-0.5.7

So the 3 2020 things that pop up are recent, and don't honestly matter. Congrats, we now have both Wine, and Lutris installed! Next is to add CoH to Lutris, which is another process in of itself haha

Just now, Trick said:

I'm fine with installing it via Island Rum if you prefer, or if it's easier.

Yeah, do it with Island Rum hahaha; So just follow the actual guide on the first page, and let me know if you have any issues. If it says that you need to download some more things that pop up, do it. You will want to move your copy of CoH over to your Linux drive now, as it will make the process much easier.

Right. That was a question I had earlier. Where should I put the City folder? I tried putting it in Documents last time, because I had no clue.

Yeah, so I always move mine to my Documents folder, so if you want to follow along exactly like I have it in the guide, move it there

*sigh* After all that, it does the exact same thing it did when I first tried to do this ages ago.

It says Ready To Play, I click on the arrow, it says Launching Homecoming (64-bit) and the arrow has a checkmark over it for about 10-15 seconds, then the checkmark disappears and it says "Ready To Play".

*sigh* After all that, it does the exact same thing it did when I first tried to do this ages ago.

It says Ready To Play, I click on the arrow, it says Launching Homecoming (64-bit) and the arrow has a checkmark over it for about 10-15 seconds, then the checkmark disappears and it says "Ready To Play".

What GPU do you have? Also, what CPU as well?

Edit: The issue is no longer WINE, nor the game, but moreso your GPU / CPU; If you're on Intel, disable your iGPU in your BIOS. If you have an AMD GPU, the drivers are automatically installed (typically).

If you have an NVIDIA GPU, you have to install the drivers yourself, which can be a complicated process to be honest. If you are using Ubuntu, then your NVIDIA drivers are pre-installed.

Edited by ColdZero
Edited