How to get City of Heroes running on Linux

Daggenthal

• 2 weeks later
On 4/6/2020 at 7:01 PM, TrishaTwilight said:

Any idea if this method will work for chromebooks running the Linux(Beta)?

Low chance unless it has viable specs basically, so it really depends on the model of your Chomebook. If it has great specs / good specs, then give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

I'm sorry I didn't respond in time, this website didn't notify me of your message.

9 hours ago, skabooty said:

Low chance unless it has viable specs basically, so it really depends on the model of your Chomebook. If it has great specs / good specs, then give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

I'm sorry I didn't respond in time, this website didn't notify me of your message.

Going to give it a shot! If it works it'll be running at low settings for sure, but I'll let you know how it goes. Should be a fun (frustrating) adventure.

Edit: My current linux laptop running CoH only has an i5 8265u and it runs well at 1080p with pretty knocked down settings, so hopefully it'll at least be a passable 30FPS, maybe with a serious resolution drop.

Edited by TrishaTwilight

On 4/8/2020 at 11:42 AM, TrishaTwilight said:

Going to give it a shot! If it works it'll be running at low settings for sure, but I'll let you know how it goes. Should be a fun (frustrating) adventure.

Edit: My current linux laptop running CoH only has an i5 8265u and it runs well at 1080p with pretty knocked down settings, so hopefully it'll at least be a passable 30FPS, maybe with a serious resolution drop.

Sorry for the very late response, but keep me informed on how it goes! I'm quite curious actually 😄

On 5/15/2020 at 7:09 AM, ironjoe said:

I got it to work on my Asus C434 Chromebook using using the Debian Buster container. The main issue I had was that the dependency for libfaudio0_20.01-0~buster_i386.deb and libfaudio0_20.01-0~buster_amd64.deb were not being resolved by apt properly so I just installed those manually. After that I could get wine 5.0 and Lutris installed. 

That's awesome IronJoe! Were you able to get it running? How's the performance? I have my own Chromebook that I should try it on as well.

11 hours ago, ColdZero said:

That's awesome IronJoe! Were you able to get it running? How's the performance? I have my own Chromebook that I should try it on as well.

Oh yes. That's what I meant. It works great on lowest graphics settings. It will play at higher but tons of lag then but that's still more than I expected. The new AMD Chromebooks will probably play it at max settings. As it is though it's fine for gaming on the road somewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ironjoe said:

Oh yes. That's what I meant. It works great on lowest graphics settings. It will play at higher but tons of lag then but that's still more than I expected. The new AMD Chromebooks will probably play it at max settings. As it is though it's fine for gaming on the road somewhere.

Sorry for the very late responses, been quite busy lately, but that's awesome and amazing that it performs so well! I'm excited to see what all the new components can do in the future :D

• Like 1

On 5/15/2020 at 8:09 AM, ironjoe said:

I got it to work on my Asus C434 Chromebook using using the Debian Buster container. The main issue I had was that the dependency for libfaudio0_20.01-0~buster_i386.deb and libfaudio0_20.01-0~buster_amd64.deb were not being resolved by apt properly so I just installed those manually. After that I could get wine 5.0 and Lutris installed. 

Glad to hear it!

That Chromebook is Intel-based, though, not ARM, correct? Has anyone gotten anywhere with ARM-based devices?

(I would commit manslaughter do an Oranbega defeat all to get CoH running on my phone!)

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

On 5/20/2020 at 8:18 PM, DoctorDitko said:

Glad to hear it!

That Chromebook is Intel-based, though, not ARM, correct? Has anyone gotten anywhere with ARM-based devices?

(I would commit manslaughter do an Oranbega defeat all to get CoH running on my phone!)

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB that I could ATTEMPT to get CoH running on, if you'd like. I know some people were playing WoW on their phones, but they were streaming it from their computers, to their phones, which is different. If you were able to get this running on your phone, you'd have to re-design the UI to make it playable.

I've tried this on a 2011 era Macbook running Ubuntu 20.04, and it crashes the OS.  In summary:

- every step seems to work up to and including the start-up of Tequila.

- Tequila gives the error message about the missing .exe for Paragon Chat.

- so I double-click on Homecoming 64-Bit.

- the "LOADING" legend appears in the center of the screen.

- the OS crashes and reboots.

- if I try again, the tequila.exe file has vanished, and lutris gives an error message that it can't find it.

- if I copy it back over from my Downloads folder, and run lutris again, it crashes again.

When lutris starts, I get these messages in the terminal window:

2020-05-23 08:33:27,748: Running Lutris 0.5.6
2020-05-23 08:33:27,750: Using X.Org
2020-05-23 08:33:27,750: Running Mesa driver 20.0.4 on AMD TURKS (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.4.0-31-generic, LLVM 9.0.1) (0x6741)
2020-05-23 08:33:27,750: GPU: 8086:0126 106B:00DC using i915 drivers
2020-05-23 08:33:27,750: GPU: 1002:6741 106B:00E2 using radeon drivers
2020-05-23 08:33:27,814: Vulkan is not available or your system isn't Vulkan capable
2020-05-23 08:33:33,002: Updating DXVK versions

Anyone have any insight?

I've tried this on a 2011 era Macbook running Ubuntu 20.04, and it crashes the OS.  In summary:

- every step seems to work up to and including the start-up of Tequila.

- Tequila gives the error message about the missing .exe for Paragon Chat.

- so I double-click on Homecoming 64-Bit.

- the "LOADING" legend appears in the center of the screen.

- the OS crashes and reboots.

- if I try again, the tequila.exe file has vanished, and lutris gives an error message that it can't find it.

- if I copy it back over from my Downloads folder, and run lutris again, it crashes again.

I mentioned in another post about Paragon Chat. I had to install it from my paragonchat folder. The dumb thing is is that Tequila will install Icon.exe alongside IIRC - it was already in the COH/Homecoming folder after install. See if you can get the Paragonchat.exe from Titan Network. Also post in the support section here as Tequila should have everything needed to make the game run.

Don't click on any .exe except Tequila or things will crash, I had that happen too.

Lutris has an option to create a launcher for the game but i think that just activates Tequila. Once you get things going Lutris and COH work like a charm although Tequila will load a bit slow.

Edited by gromartwo

5 minutes ago, Panthonca7034 said:

@ColdZero

Can CoH be run from CentOS 6-8? I'm also trying to experiment installing on a Proliant 365 and an older PowerEdge 2650 but I need to know before I even embark on this

As long as you can install both Wine and Lutris, and you're on an x86 / x86_64 platform, the game SHOULD be able to run. I see some guides to installing both Wine and Lutris on CentOS 8, so you can give it a shot and let me know! I'll see if I can do anything to make it work on my end, as I've never touched CentOS before.

I had a friend just install the game on Linux.

We used the installer from http://telstar.eekstudio.com

He had to do two things:

sudo mkdir /user/local/games/coh

sudo chown 1000:1000 /usr/local/games/coh

Where 1000 is your user ID.

For the rest is was smooth sailing.

Hope that helps some people.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

BlueYellowRed.png.cffb9b692dd0484133ca1d9ee2c8c4ce.png

On 5/22/2020 at 11:58 PM, ColdZero said:

I have a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB that I could ATTEMPT to get CoH running on, if you'd like. I know some people were playing WoW on their phones, but they were streaming it from their computers, to their phones, which is different. If you were able to get this running on your phone, you'd have to re-design the UI to make it playable.

That uses a Broadcom 2711, Cortex-A-72 which is an ARM processor.

You cannot run x86 code on that. It is a completely different CPU architecture.

The adventurous Space Janitor reporting for duty. Cleaning the universe since 1992 and Paragon City, the Rogue Isles and Praetoria since 2011.

On 5/25/2020 at 5:06 AM, Panthonca7034 said:

@ColdZero

Can CoH be run from CentOS 6-8? I'm also trying to experiment installing on a Proliant 365 and an older PowerEdge 2650 but I need to know before I even embark on this

The client or the server of CoH? What are you talking about here?

My guess would be that CentOS 8 is certainly possible, if you otherwise have the RAM, graphics card and storage space. 6 and 7 maybe be?

5 hours ago, RogerWilco said:

That uses a Broadcom 2711, Cortex-A-72 which is an ARM processor.

You cannot run x86 code on that. It is a completely different CPU architecture.

Yeah, you're not wrong, and I knew that going into that response hahaha. I know it's truly not possible unless someone takes quite a bit of time out of their life in order to re-write, and re-compile the code.

To be fair, you can run... Well, let's say, "walk" x86 code on ARM platforms. It's just seldom worth it.

AFAIK, QEMU is the most performant solution, it emulates at a very low level.

But, in general, I think we'll need to recompile for an ARM target in order to play properly. Though I'd be happy if I could just access the Auction House from my phone! Or, heck, the costume maker, the character builder, or in-game "email."

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

13 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

To be fair, you can run... Well, let's say, "walk" x86 code on ARM platforms. It's just seldom worth it.

AFAIK, QEMU is the most performant solution, it emulates at a very low level.

But, in general, I think we'll need to recompile for an ARM target in order to play properly. Though I'd be happy if I could just access the Auction House from my phone! Or, heck, the costume maker, the character builder, or in-game "email."

We can dream.

I have no experience developing for ARM, so it's certainly not something I'd be thinking about picking up.

I'm just happy it runs on OSX and Linux.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:53 AM, RogerWilco said:

The client or the server of CoH? What are you talking about here?

My guess would be that CentOS 8 is certainly possible, if you otherwise have the RAM, graphics card and storage space. 6 and 7 maybe be?

I meant the CoH Client, I'm not 100% confident the CoH server will run on 32GB of RAM and I'm trying to migrate away from Windows eventually, and I like Linux so it seemed like a Good OS to test with.