DM/ or Fire/ ??

ceto555

I have a DM/Bio scrapper and it's stupid good. Excellent defenses/resists and regeneration makes him hard to beat. Good ST damage, although AoE is a little lacking. Works wonders against tough enemies bc of the -to hit in DM. 

He's kinda like the Energizer bunny...just keeps going and going...

On 2/15/2020 at 11:25 AM, ceto555 said:

Hiya folks,

Looking to make another Scrapper for solo door missions then maybe raids or TF's at 50. Whats better all round for that, Dark Melee or Fire, was thinking of pairing up with either Bio or Willpower.

Thanks!

I would choose Fire for either of those secondaries for the very reasons Gauntlent_Prime gave. That being said, either one is a great choice.

It is a bit easier to get the top ST chain with DM if I remember correctly(bee a LONG time since I've done Fire). So if budget or recharge is an issue, that may give DM an edge in some cases.

11 hours ago, MunkiLord said:

I would choose Fire for either of those secondaries for the very reasons Gauntlent_Prime gave. That being said, either one is a great choice.

It is a bit easier to get the top ST chain with DM if I remember correctly(bee a LONG time since I've done Fire). So if budget or recharge is an issue, that may give DM an edge in some cases.

Also of note:  Even a poorly optimized attack chain in either of those sets with still be 110% playable and do very respectable damage.  Sometimes I think the forums may imply that a non-optimal attack chain is somehow bad (not saying you did Munki just seemed a apropos time to bring it up).  Even a poorly made character is quite often VERY playable as compared to other MMOs "broken" charactors.  There are also some diminishing return on investment on the way to full optimization.  Quite often once you get your Def/Res set up and are safe any bonuses to haste/dmg/DPS are just icing on the cake.

• Like 1

I don't particularly care for DM most situations because it just lacks good AOE, you can't get around that your two aoe's are Soul Drain and Shadow Maul, one is more for buffing yourself than actually doing damage, the other is a suboptimal cone. I'm going to be honest, if you ever really want DM, roll a Stalker, they will just deal more damage on ST in most cases and are more worth your time for all the AOE lost. Fire however has two very decent AOEs that I consider much better and the ST damage on fire is quite nice. I would pick DM over fire in the situations where you can get a proc-monkey AOE power.

I'd pick these with Dark/:

Dark/Bio (DNA siphon can be proc monkey'd)

Dark/Shield (shield charge can be proc monkey'd)

Dark/Rad (two great AOE proc monkeys: ground zero and radiation therapy)

Dark/Fiery (burn and double aura)

Dark/Dark (dark regeneration can be proc monkey'd)

All other secondaries I would choose Fiery Melee due to the fact that the other secondaries don't offer a way to really improve your AOE capability. 

Most do not want to sit in a battle and cone or ST a mob until they all one-by-one crumble, it's really slow. These are the secondaries that can be proc-monkey'd with their heals or give an AOE to help you with AOE damage.

On 2/15/2020 at 11:25 AM, ceto555 said:

Hiya folks,

Looking to make another Scrapper for solo door missions then maybe raids or TF's at 50. Whats better all round for that, Dark Melee or Fire, was thinking of pairing up with either Bio or Willpower.

Thanks!

I would highly recommend Dark/Shield. With a good build, there’s not much it can’t solo. The two sets are almost made for each other. Shield lacks a heal, Dark has a heal. Dark lacks AoE, Shield has Shield Charge. Add in two PBAoE damage buff powers (one an aura, the other a click) and the synergy just gets better.