Getting to the tutoral

retiredair25

Was the new character a Peacebringer, Warshade, Arachnos Soldier, or Arachnos Widow? Those ATs don't have access to the tutorial. Everyone else should get a prompt asking if you wish to run the tutorial before a prompt to create character and enter game.

• Like 1

There are also some really wobbly-not-so-great tutorials in the forms of Twinshot and Dr. Graves' arcs on Blueside and Redside respectively.
They're not great, because in several spots they "teach" you to do something with the text . . . at a point where you already had to have done that thing to reach that text.

So, yeah; best way to do it is:

When you start a new character, on the Origin Tab, be sure to select City of Heroes:  Freedom.

TutTut1.pNg.8a57c4795caf17dd032e24b1d5c9abae.pNg

(while Going Rogue does have a tutorial, the content is generally considered much more challenging, particularly for new players.)

Next, on the Archetype Tab, be sure to select one of the follow 11 Archetypes:

Blaster, Controller, Defender, Scrapper, Tanker, Sentinel, Brute, Stalker, Mastermind, Dominator, Corruptor

TutTut2.pNg.9885ba8ef2783a365a7fc49aba5e942a.pNg

(the Peacebringer, Warshade, Arachnos Soldier, and Arachnos Widow Archetypes start the game by skipping the Tutorial.)

When you get to the Register screen and click the "Next" button in the bottom right corner, a pop-up should occur asking if you want to play the tutorial.  Hit "Yes."

TutTut3.pNg.c0876685678a961c464c844088b9ff9e.pNg

Finally, the game will offer you three potential Tutorial Zones to choose from.

Outbreak is the original Hero Tutorial.  It's kind of slow, but allows you the chance to earn the Isolator Badge.

Breakout is the original Villain Tutorial.  It's the quickest tutorial, and allows you to pick up the Jail Bird Badge.

The Ruined Galaxy City is a "modern" Tutorial with voiceovers and some modified game mechanics which won't show up again until late-game content.  I personally don't recommend it, but it may be worth checking it out in addition to the traditional tutorials, just to cover more bases when it comes to learning the game.

TutTut4.pNg.feaf477b2bd3d0d0b415b53b7eb29174.pNg

I hope this helps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, siolfir said:

Thanks for getting the screenshots - I'm not in a position to get them right now since I'm on the forums when I should be at least pretending to be productive at work. 😉

My very first character on Legacy, I went straight to Atlas Park. Looked around and saw all the people, saw all the tool bars with only the barest idea of what they were for. I immediately logged back to the character select screen, deleted and recreated the character (fortunately I had saved her costume when I had made her) and selected 'Outbreak' to run through the tutorial. For a first-timer I found it helpful, as well as the original contacts in AP that sent you on gopher missions that introduced you to things like Wentworth's and vendors and such.

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.