Blapper Build Advice - water/dark

KaizenSoze

Inspired by these two threads. I am working on a blapper.

I picked water because of it's KDs, stun, and generally being a fun set.

Darkness has good melee attacks, PBAOE, and touch of the unknown.

I am struggling with an attack chain, too many options. Looking for advice.

What powers are must haves and what are skip-able?

Dark consumption is a skip for instance, because of touch of the unknown.

Dehydrate vs Water Jet.

Here are a few things I have learned leveling my char up to 37.

Touch of the unknown is a proc monster. There are more procs available for it that you can slot.

• Absorb
  • End+
  • Damage
  • Stun
  • -Resist
  • Plus, it's existing fear, recovery, and regen

Dehydrate is also a proc monster, everything touch takes except the stun proc.

There is the potential to stack a lot of stuns, geyser, dark pit, oppressive gloom, and stun procs.

Here's my current thinking. Only level 39 now.

Spoiler

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Mask Of Blood: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Manipulation
Power Pool: Sorcery
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(7)
Level 1: Penumbral Grasp -- Acc(A)
Level 2: Water Burst -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg(A), FrcFdb-Rechg%(7), PstBls-Dmg/EndRdx(9), PstBls-Dmg/Rng(9), PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), PstBls-Dam%(11)
Level 4: Smite -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(15), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(17), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(17), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19), TchofDth-Dam%(37)
Level 6: Death Shroud -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(40), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-%Dam(43)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 10: Mystic Flight -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(13)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- Dcm-Build%(A), EntChs-Heal%(43), AchHee-ResDeb%(43), TchofLadG-%Dam(45), ImpSwf-Dam%(45), TchoftheN-%Dam(45)
Level 14: Spirit Ward -- RgnTss-Regen+(A)
Level 16: Soul Drain -- Acc(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 18: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(19)
Level 20: Touch of the Beyond -- Prv-Absorb%(A), UnsTrr-Stun%(21), GlmoftheA-Dam%(21), PrfShf-End%(23), EnrMnp-Stun%(23), TchoftheN-%Dam(25)
Level 22: Rune of Protection -- StdPrt-ResKB(A), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(25), GldArm-3defTpProc(27), UnbGrd-Max HP%(27), GldArm-RechRes(29), StdPrt-ResDam/EndRdx(29)
Level 24: Kick -- Acc(A)
Level 26: Steam Spray -- Ann-Acc/Dmg(A), Ann-Dmg/Rchg(31), Ann-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), Ann-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(33), Ann-ResDeb%(34)
Level 28: Tough -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(34), TtnCtn-ResDam/Rchg(34)
Level 30: Weave -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(31), Rct-ResDam%(46)
Level 32: Geyser -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(36), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(36), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(37)
Level 35: Dark Pit -- Stg-Stun/Rng(A), Stg-Acc/Rchg(46)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- TchofDth-Acc/Dmg(A), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx(39), TchofDth-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), TchofDth-Dmg/Rchg(39), TchofDth-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40), TchofDth-Dam%(40)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- TtnCtn-ResDam(A), TtnCtn-ResDam/EndRdx(46)
Level 44: Oppressive Gloom -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(48)
Level 47: Maneuvers -- RedFrt-Def(A), RedFrt-Def/EndRdx(48), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(48), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(50)
Level 49: Tactics -- GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(A), GssSynFr--Build%(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Pnc-Heal/+End(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(15)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
------------

Edited by KaizenSoze

Dehydrate is a must-take. I slot it with 3 Thunderstrikes (though for a Blapper, Ranged Defense may not be as useful so 2xDevastation may be good also), 1 damage proc, 1 Achilles, and 1 Theft of Essence.

Water Jet is a good power, not a great power. In most builds I would suggest taking it, 3xThunderstrike and then damage procs. No Recharge IOs in either of these powers to maximize the procs, and let the Enhanced feature recharge it for you. But for a blapper who has the option to use higher-DPA melee attacks... it may be reasonable to skip it.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:12 PM, KaizenSoze said:

Touch of the unknown is a proc monster. There are more procs available for it that you can slot.

• Absorb
  • End+
  • Damage
  • Stun
  • -Resist
  • Plus, it's existing fear, recovery, and regen

I know right? I needs no actual slotting itself to be perfectly viable as the 'survival' power of the set...if anything its kinda OP since its a bit more of a buff then the norm since its technically an attack.

As for Attacks...hm, water has alotta damn good aoe's so I can see why the single stuff is what's on the chopping block. Unless you're attached to the +hot from dehydrates full tidal effect, skippable...water spout's double hit is nicer. 

Edited by The Godchild

Status update. I made to 50, she's turning into a real predator.

Did an 4x8 ITF, only died once, even though she only has 10% def. I was in there with the melee a lot of the time.

Just starting to work on IO and AT sets. Damage, defense, and CC is only going to get better.

Fun attack chains when charging into melee:

Tidal Forces->Soul Drain->Geyser->Dark Pit. Everything is dead, knocked down, and stunned.

TF->Soul Drain->Water burst->step back and Steam Spray

Oppressive Gloom is working well. It stacks nicely with Dark Pit. The combo will stun bosses for a little bit.

This is char is an experiment I took, Mighty, judgement since I will be in melee most of the time. It is the PBAOE attack, which against even level Sky Raiders in the Market Crash TF, was hitting between 600-700.

Going with, Musculature, for the alpha. I thought about Agility, because I still have to watch my endurance, but I don't slot that many end pieces.

Endurance is my biggest issue at the moment. If I complete a full AOE and melee chain, endurance can be very low, if the procs don't fire.

Not  worried at this point, I have no sets slotted, no end reducers slotted, and only the 5% end accolade at this time.

Only soloing at 1x4, but she mows through that. Once, I get enough defense that a 1-2 purple insp can softcap, then I will racket up the difficultly.

She really shines in groups, she dives into mob piles, chases downs runners, drops big AOEs, and if the AVs doesn't have a nasty PBAOEs, she'll be in there punching.

If anyone wants to understand why blappers are fun, it's because they are a challenge. I have gotten bored with my other 50s because they quickly become a repetitive. Blappers have to know what benefits they are getting from teammates, what the mob capabilities are, when to head into melee, when to hang back. It adds variety to every fight. 

Godchild how is your blapper doing?

• Like 1

While End Reducers pretty much come naturally with IO set slotting, don't forget that Touch of the Beyond's supposed to be your sustain there. It's a 60s buff to regen and recovery, and those are the main counter to blaster endurance issues (especially an AoE loving set like Water).

If you use the Radial Core for Musculature, combined with at least one full-fledged Endmod, it'll take a real load off your back. It's also not a bad idea to have a full Healmod in there for the regen.

Touch of Nictus' proc and healmod aren't a bad pair for the healing side, while the new Endmod sets currently in beta are going to be a very nice addition to a power like this one even if you're just frankenslotting two or three pieces out of it.

• Like 1

If the idea is to stack stun with oppressive gloom and dark pit then I would probably ditch steam spray because repositioning can be a real chore. With the defenses you have and a lot of mezzes being ranged I have a hard time imagining you being able to keep death shroud and oppressive gloom on consistently especially pre-clarion. But I suppose that depends on your expectations with the final build. Is it supposed to take on x/8 mob packs of all factions and be resilient against adds or is the expectation lower?

For a build that revolves around the strategy of keeping mobs around you stunned the key powers that enable you to do this deserve better slotting. At the very least slot up dark pit for more recharge so it can be up more often.

I would not take the damage aura either on any blaster. The general philosophy with blasters is to kill stuff quick with enough mitigation for you to survive the retaliation and damage auras run counter to that. Those IOs are better off in Soul Drain, which deserves better slotting. This will also alleviate some of your end issues. Speaking of which...

I had a feeling you might run into end issues. I still run into end issues with my fire/elec even with the sustain due to my high dpa attacks. I'd take a hard look at dark consumption. You may not need it all the time after you IO your blaster out, but it's nice to have when you need it. Plus you can put a stun proc in there to compliment your strategy.

If I were to build this combo this is would be my first draft:

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Water Blast
Secondary Power Set: Darkness Manipulation
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Ancillary Pool: Soul Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Aqua Bolt -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(3), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(5), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7)
Level 1: Penumbral Grasp -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(29), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(31), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(33)
Level 2: Water Burst -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(36), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(37), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(37), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(40)
Level 4: Smite -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(11), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(13), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(13), HO:Nucle(15)
Level 6: Whirlpool -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(40)
Level 8: Tidal Forces -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-ToHit(15)
Level 10: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A)
Level 12: Dehydrate -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(34), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(34), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 14: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Soul Drain -- RctRtc-ToHit/Rchg(A), RctRtc-ToHit(17), Erd-Acc/Rchg(17), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 18: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 20: Touch of the Beyond -- SphIns-ToHitDeb(A), SphIns-Acc/ToHitDeb(21), SphIns-Acc/Rchg(23), SphIns-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SphIns-%ToHit(25)
Level 22: Tough -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(43), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(45), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(45), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(45)
Level 24: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 26: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(27), LucoftheG-Def(27)
Level 28: Dark Consumption -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36), SprAvl-Rchg/KDProc(50)
Level 30: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(31), LucoftheG-Def(31)
Level 32: Geyser -- Rgn-Dmg(A), Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(42), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(43)
Level 35: Dark Pit -- AbsAmz-Stun(A), AbsAmz-EndRdx/Stun(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Stun/Rchg(48), AbsAmz-Acc/Rchg(50), AbsAmz-ToHitDeb%(50)
Level 38: Midnight Grasp -- SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsCol-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx(39), SprBlsCol-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(39), SprBlsCol-Rchg/HoldProc(40)
Level 41: Dark Embrace -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(46), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(46), UnbGrd-Max HP%(48)
Level 44: Oppressive Gloom -- HO:Endo(A)
Level 47: Tactics -- HO:Cyto(A)
Level 49: Vengeance -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod-I(A)
Level 1: Combo Level 1
Level 1: Combo Level 2
Level 1: Combo Level 3
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey