Earth/Nature Controller Build

hyacathinose

I strongly agree with everything said above.  The only thing I'd say is I would not consider Quicksand skippable but that's one reason I do agree with the sentiment of "take them all" and see how things work for you.  I like QS for two reasons.  It's very effective for slowing most mobs to a crawl giving you time to drop other powers on them before they scatter or reach that corner you're hiding around and recharges quickly.  And secondly (or is that thirdly 😁) it's a very effective one slot power.  I grew fond of using a range enhancement in it as I'd often find the spot I'd want to drop it was just barely short of letting me hide around the corner unless I had that range boost ( if I didn't know better I'd  think they designed it that way🤪) Hiding around the corner to drop a patch whether it's QS, VG or EQ is an excellent way to avoid eating an alpha in return.

Quicksand also has -25% def.

The only problem with the power really is it sits in a great set of powers, and takes ages to cast!

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

Which is why especially on a lower level Earth I like to do it from behind something like a corner.  Really hard for those baddies to return fire when they can't see you (i.e. have no LoS).  And since they can't hit me a long animation is no biggie. Meanwhile like Psy said I follow up with my choice of patch(es) for those caught and further ruin their day.

Edited by Doomguide2005
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

Which is why especially on a lower level Earth I like to do it from behind something like a corner.  Really hard for those baddies to return fire when they can't see you (i.e. have no LoS).  And since they can't hit me a long animation is no biggie. Meanwhile like Psy said I follow up with my choice of patch(es) for those caught and further ruin their day.

Yep I’ve used that trick too, works really well!

I play Earth/storm and there’s a lot you can torture the enemies with behind a wall. Quicksand, rain and earthquake..! 

As mentioned it’s particularly good at low levels for accuracy. My unslotted aoe immobalise has 95% accuracy on same level mobs that are in quicksand.. it’s amazing! Also as a patch, it doesn’t have a to-hit check itself.

I think I only dropped it later on in favour of more diverse powers, and also better slots and bonuses.

Retired, October 2022.

Fallout Engineer Rad/AR Defender || Peacemoon Empathy/Psi Defender || Svarteir Dark/Dark Controller

Everlasting || UK Timezone

I do a lot of exemplar content so I doubt I'll ever not have it in my build. I still use it at 50 but I can see it being more optional at that point with so many other options available as I am more likely to open with other powers ... Stalagmites or Freezing Rain/Sleet as I am also running Storm (and Cold) as secondaries. 😁

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later

I'm continually amused by how differently people can play sets in this game while still being effective.   

On 3/18/2020 at 3:41 PM, 5099y_74c05 said:
  • Entangling Aura: Optional. I take it even with Earth as a primary. Gives more control options.

For me the entire reason to pair Earth Control with Nature is the aoe Hold stacking between Volcanic Gases and Entangling Aura with a Lockdown Proc in each.   With sufficient global recharge that gives you permanent area effect of Dominator level Hold Mag, but with Controller support and debuff powers.  The Earth/Nature combo starts off slow unless you're teaming.  But once you can pick up Stone Mastery attacks for Dmg letting you can easily solo.   And that Stone pet is a mini Tank with the two +Res pet IO's and Nature's buffs. 

If you have no experience with either set I recommend you take all the powers from both sets and respec later on. You may find utility in powers that other recommend skipping, especially if you are not a min-maxer. Personally I really like this combo and fills a team support role nicely.

I really like this advice and wish it were given out more often.

Quicksand

On 3/24/2020 at 8:06 AM, Psyonico said:

Quicksand + Earthquake = win, which is why I think it's a necessary power.  My Earth/Nature is not IO'd out, otherwise I'd post the build.  But even with generic IOs, he's very strong.

On 3/23/2020 at 8:51 PM, Doomguide2005 said:

The only thing I'd say is I would not consider Quicksand skippable but that's one reason I do agree with the sentiment of "take them all" and see how things work for you.  I like QS for two reasons.  It's very effective for slowing most mobs to a crawl giving you time to drop other powers on them before they scatter or reach that corner you're hiding around and recharges quickly.  And secondly (or is that thirdly 😁) it's a very effective one slot power.  I grew fond of using a range enhancement in it as I'd often find the spot I'd want to drop it was just barely short of letting me hide around the corner unless I had that range boost ( if I didn't know better I'd  think they designed it that way🤪) Hiding around the corner to drop a patch whether it's QS, VG or EQ is an excellent way to avoid eating an alpha in return.

So funny.   Because it's opposite for me.   I find the combination of long cast time and soft mitigation to make Quicksand skippable once you get your other powers.   It's not that it's bad by any means, it's just that Earth/Nature has so many other great powers that I never had the time to use Quicksand....  For comparison on Trick Arrrow I find the Glue Arrow slow patch to be core, because TA doesn't have that many good tools in it's chest....  So I do recognize the soft mitigation utility of slow patches, I just feel like like at higher levels Earth/Nature has better option in most cases. 

• Like 1