Is no one else concerned by the trickbot virus warnings?

Kelvar

Reported in the installation guide in the announcements forum? That seems to have just blown by without any response despite several people experiencing the warning from their virus scanners...

Ok for those concerned this thread is helpful: https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,1317.15.html

When I searched trickbot on the forum search that thread didn't show up, I found it through googling more general information. It may be useful to share the thread above in the announcement thread because in the announcement thread the issues just seems to die off without resolution.

No, because so long as you're downloading it from the place they tell you to, then any reaction like that is definitely a false positive.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Virus scanners work by detecting patterns, and if it recognizes a potentially unsafe pattern, it checks against a list of programs which is known to cause false positives - they have a pattern reminiscent of a virus in some area, and if it matches that list, it won't warn after all. (Very simplified.).

This is an archive. Archives are compressed, so the patterns do not match the actual code, but it can still look suspicious to the AV, and seeing as it's not all that official a program, it's not been added to exceptions. That's why this is most likely a false positive - a reported virus that isn't.

(I know this isn't 100% accurate or even correct, but it contains the gist of it.).