[How2] Basic Installation Guide [Windows]

WanderingAries

***This guide assumes that you are Not running Windows 10 (or newer) with S-Mode enabled. See this MSFT link to deal with S-Mode***

I've updated a bit of the wording as this was originally written when the Launcher was in Beta, so all of the images will refer to Beta, but you can now ignore that and any references to use that as a pathname.

Backup Tequila: (Skip if you're doing this as a fresh install / new to the game)

Spoiler

Not going into detail, but basically just right click and copy/paste the folder in-place and you'll have it backed up. Windows will auto-name it for you.

19_Filesystem.png.ff2e3d0f8b0a2421d78859133f03ac13.png

1. Navigate to the folder that houses the Tequila installation
  2. Copy the folder in place
  3. Name as you wish

Download New Launcher:

Spoiler

While this Should be simple, keep in mind that your security configuration will vary and you may have more steps. Post (in your own thread) for help as needed.

1. After following the download link, you'll likely trigger Windows smart screen or your browser's security because it's an EXE
  2. Look for words like "Keep" or "Save Anyway" and choose them
    • 1_DL.thumb.jpg.ccdf6a137eeae99111147180ea496f1a.jpg
  3. Smart Screen will likely come up and you'll need to click the arrow near where it should say "Show more details", then choose "Keep anyway"
    • 2_DL.jpg.17e1bf856fbd834cd95be766caf09c8c.jpg
  4. Eventually you'll get the last security warning offering to run the app, do that
    • 3_Run.jpg.4029e69e6bfbdb640f3a94da7be26fc1.jpg

Install New Launcher:

Spoiler

Most of this should be straight forward as it tries to walk you through it, but I'll throw some suggestions too.

1. By default, the game tries to install to C:\Games\Homecoming and for most, this will honestly be fine so long as that folder isn't your Tequila install already
    • 4_Save.jpg.9f15a925e64840f3d7cf545a3d457bb4.jpg
  2. If you need to change the location, then click the dots, otherwise just click Install.
  3. If you already have City of Heroes installed, then you'll get a request to copy your user data (even the extras!) over to the new install. Make your choice and keep reading. (Most choose Yes)
    • 6_Migrate.jpg.2d62b1a57fa2b3517d873152c418f231.jpg
  4. Lastly, you'll get the standard installation EULA. Read what you wish, but unless you click Accept, then why are you here?
    • 7_Migrate.jpg.3a1a44fb48b6a10eea9701f624dc5ceb.jpg

Alternate Install Location:

Spoiler

Do this if you need to either before or during the installation process.

1. As you can see, I already had a Games folder and chose to install to everything to my (abbreviated) City of Heroes folder called "COX" (On live, that's what we called it when "City of Villains" / "Going Rogue" released) located at C:\Games\COX. Just selecting the folder "COX" below and hitting "OK" will tell the game to install it to C:\Games\COX\Homecoming as it will create its own folder called "Homecoming" by default. Click "OK" to go back to the install window and then Click "Install" to proceed.
    • 5_Save.jpg.744ae068ee8aa87a1fc54b7341bed23b.jpg

Launcher Main Screen (Initial Install):

Spoiler

Now that the hard part is done, lets go over some of the basics of the launcher itself.

8_Launch.thumb.jpg.6a025b29d03226b1a9be4001c03396f9.jpg

• Settings
    • The gear in the upper right corner is a single click away from all of the available settings available in the launcher.
  • Login
    • Top center of the screen links to a browser based sign-in window.
  • Server Status
    • Bottom center of the screen and appears the most obvious of it all.
  • Download
    • The down arrow next to a game listing that you can click to trigger an immediate download of the files.
  • Hide (?)
    • Haven't tested, but the X next to a game listing is likely used to simply hide it from the window instead of going through the launcher's settings menu.

Launcher Main Screen (General):

Spoiler

This will be your daily fix of game information and controls for the launcher.

722245432_22_Mainlauncher.thumb.png.aa5e723132b841a3d296518dfe6f03ff.png

• Settings
    • The gear in the upper right corner is a single click away from all of the available settings available in the launcher.
  • Login
    • Top center of the screen links to a browser based sign-in window has two options: Login or Logout. Once you've logged in before, then it'll have your username and logout. Currently, if you've Ever logged in and hit logout, then it will currently log you back in automatically.
  • Server Status
    • Bottom center of the screen and appears the most obvious of it all. You can't do anything with this, it's just for show.
  • Play
    • "Shall we play a game?" Pick a game, any game...seriously, pick one and go!
  • Download (not show)
    • The down arrow next to a game listing that you can click to trigger an immediate download of the files.
  • Hide (?)
    • Haven't tested, but the X next to a game listing is likely used to simply hide it from the window instead of going through the launcher's settings menu.
  • Options
    • Like in most browsers, this is a set of three dots on the right of the game listing that will give you three, single click options: Verify, Settings, and Uninstall.
    • Verify will check the game's installation files.
      • 334050360_11_3Dots.jpg.ec1d1e42859290219dd106366e560e3b.jpg
      • 12_Verify.jpg.dff1440847c17f7d81a5a0d05d27fbda.jpg
    • Settings opens the launcher settings window to That game installation's tab.
    • Uninstall will launch the uninstaller for That game listing.
      • 13_Uninstall.jpg.d9fc34ae8dab8f391f85f04bbd1b9fa8.jpg

Login Management via Browser:

Spoiler

Login:

1. Once you click the login button for the First time, you'll get the following.
    • 14_Login.jpg.36aa20e00d938083b76cbfa82e61d3c6.jpg
  2. I'm assuming that it launches your default browser and that you're already signed into your forum account. If so then you'll be auto-logged into the browser with the last forum account you were signed in with. (not tested).
    • 16_WebSignin.thumb.jpg.dd3395e22d9797277d033e13c4af0d9b.jpg
  3. Either click "Continue as" or "Use a different account".
  4. Clicking continue will give you the following message. Now go back to the launcher as the tab won't self-close.
    • 17_LoginSuccess.jpg.98a455374a9be48b37ade9976863d701.jpg

Change User:

1. If you clicked the "Use a different account" option, then you'll be brought here to continue
    • 18_LOginAlt.jpg.b020535e2ff6578585afe2013d011ebc.jpg
  2. Fill it out and follow the prompts

Settings Basics:

Spoiler

Here I'll go over the basic settings you have with the launcher

General Settings Tab

This shows you the installation location of the game as well as giving you two main settings to adjust.

9_Settings.jpg.9d3d4a285ef6ce5d496bd49a7593c44a.jpg

• Exit after launching
    • This will close the launcher after you've clicked the Play button on the main screen.
  • Allow multiple instances
    • This keeps the launcher open after clicking Play, allowing you to Multibox (play more than one account at once).

Game Installation Tab

Each game has its own tab with the same options for each.

10_Settings.jpg.4feceedcfbd2affe96da54bff47aa025.jpg

• Automatically update [Game Name]
    • This will look for updates when you open the launcher (?).
  • Hide
    • This will hide this game from the main game listing.
  • Architecture
    • This allows you to choose which platform to run the game. This may be disabled if you have a 32 bit system. (can't test)
  • Reset graphics on next run
    • This likely is there for troubleshooting a graphics setup issue OR for when you have the game installed onto a thumbdrive.
  • Show debug console
    • This will likely show a window with active debugging output and/or commands. (not test)
  • Extra launch parameters
    • This is a very helpful command line tool that allows you to send pre-launch commands to every instance.
    • Here I've put the command that will make the game drop to 5 fps if it's not in the foreground. Great for when you have to Alt-Tab

Basics of the File Structure:

Spoiler

So I kind of did an extra step when I tried this out first as I didn't know the game was going to nest the folder Homecoming inside of the folder I chose during installation. It was a 50/50 chance and being portable, it's not a big deal to move it afterwards. So the root folder that I thought I was going to have when completed was C:\Games\COX\Homecoming Beta, but the game's root folder ended up being C:\Games\COX\Homecoming Beta\Homecoming. No biggy, but that's what it is.

20_Filesystem.png.7274cab032c195102b118222dd3432c9.png

Within the game's root is a reorganization of what was, but quite a bit cleaner, yet maybe a little more complex.

21_Fylesystem.png.9eea6072f8de53e8512fc12e37252e2f.png

• Accounts
    • This is where all of your account folders are housed and separated by account name as before.
  • Assets
    • The game's main assets, aka PIGG files.
  • Bin
    • The main game operational files and shortcuts.
  • Cache
    • Yet another assets type folder likely used for the game's temporary files (since it's portable).
  • Costumes
    • The home of all those millions of hours of customization are housed.
  • Data
    • The place where all those mods will go.
  • Logs
    • Likely a game log folder.
  • Powercust
    • The home of your custom power choices you saved.
  • Settings
    • Pretty sure this is the general settings folder for the games and launcher. It also includes those text files for things like Keybinds and others originally found in the Tequila root folder.

The Official Tech Deep Dive:

How to Migrate Files that the Launcher "Missed"

And that's it basically. Just a down and dirty thing I did, but if I had time I'd probably made it more magical (someone else please do!).

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Ok, I think I'm done now...my fingers hurt and my food's getting cold.

*pokes @GM Tahquitz*

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

18 hours ago, Blackfeather said:

The technical deep dive seems to have some information on the file structure - perhaps just link to that for people?

Simple enough request

9 hours ago, twospirited said:

as part of the steps, some antiviruses or windows settings will block the installer. right click > properties

do this before running the installer. sometimes windows won't unblock it. at least it won't for my comp, and i've had this happe on fresh installs.

I take it that's Win10. I haven't messed with that since the launcher came out. Do you think that's defender or smart screen blocking? I'm in the middle of rebuilding my MBP drive right now, so it'll be a minute before I can test again.

so

1 hour ago, WanderingAries said:

I take it that's Win10. I haven't messed with that since the launcher came out. Do you think that's defender or smart screen blocking? I'm in the middle of rebuilding my MBP drive right now, so it'll be a minute before I can test again.

it could be either, haven't dove in to looking which, sounds more like smartscreen to me though. figure i'd put that screengrab up, since i'd rather be safe than disable it and be sorry y'know? lol

45 minutes ago, PartyKake said:

Attempting to install new client, I get this:

image.png.e77c62563ed6d923eec86ce35ffadde1.png

any ideas what this means?

(I read the thread first)

Not off hand, but I'd start a new thread about it. Make sure to describe the installation environment: OS, where it went, etc.

• 2 weeks later
1 hour ago, frencheese90 said:

After installing the launcher and waiting for the game to install, when I click ready it brings up the loading bar but then it vanishes and the game closes. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

Sounds like you're talking about the Tequila launcher. It would be best to check/post-in those threads as I feel like it's been answered (since it's asked often in the past). I think the answer is security based (what isn't TBH).

• 3 months later
  • GM Tock pinned this topic
  • 2 months later

I am getting this..

I tried to run as administrator as well.. Just hangs..

I  thought it was looking for other instances of COH to copy files over so I let it run over night.. 

Still no luck..

It is windows 10.

image.png.de567790eed17df21fb1c8979514ff7c.png

30 minutes ago, plainguy said:

I am getting this..

I  thought it was looking for other instances of COH to copy files over so I let it run over night.. 

Still no luck..

It is windows 10.

Just following up .. I ran the old tequila install and it worked.. 

I assumed it wouldn't be working..

7 hours ago, plainguy said:

I am getting this..

Still no luck..

It is windows 10.

Your AV blocking the process perhaps? That's the most common issue. You can have both launchers if you wish, but the HC Launcher will get the most support in the end.

19 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Your AV blocking the process perhaps? That's the most common issue. You can have both launchers if you wish, but the HC Launcher will get the most support in the end.

Negative on AV blocking unfortunately.. 

I was thinking it was hanging up looking for the old files to copy over.. 

5 hours ago, plainguy said:

Negative on AV blocking unfortunately.. 

I was thinking it was hanging up looking for the old files to copy over.. 

Usually a simple Delete (folder) / Reinstall works just fine with this launcher though.

57 minutes ago, WanderingAries said:

Usually a simple Delete (folder) / Reinstall works just fine with this launcher though.

It didn't create the folders..  

I know odd.. 

On 6/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, plainguy said:

It didn't create the folders..  

I know odd.. 

You're making sure to install it to something Not being gripped tightly by the OS right? That's why the recommendation is something like C:\Games\CoH as opposed to Documents, Downloads, etc.

On 6/8/2021 at 8:46 PM, WanderingAries said:

You're making sure to install it to something Not being gripped tightly by the OS right? That's why the recommendation is something like C:\Games\CoH as opposed to Documents, Downloads, etc.

yea actually its on another drive. 

1 minute ago, plainguy said:

yea actually its on another drive. 

Good, one less variable then unless it happens to be in a manually assigned system temp folder. :p

• 2 weeks later

It's still in beta, but I got this installed on Win11 with absolutely no hickups.

• 1 month later

It's been a minute, but I Did manage to now test Win11 running on my 3770k (as opposed to the VM test above) with no obvious issues so far. Roamed around Atlas a bit and my GTX 970 with pretty high settings was in the 30s for FPS. It killed my old Windows gadgets though, so I'll have to see if I can reinstall them as I Like being able to see my detailed hardware performance stats at a glance. I do hate that I can't move the taskbar to the top though.

• 2 months later

Hi, up above in the hidden content of the “Launcher main screen (initial installation)” section it shows an image of the launcher with the three choices from top to bottom as Main game then Prerelease then at bottom Beta.

My OCD and past life as an enginering project manager likes that order as it is in progress order.

So when did that order change, because my launcher now shows Main game at top then Beta and Pre-release at bottom!

Not a game changer just makes my eye twitch a little every time I open the launcher.

Any info will be greatfully received, thanks guys.

• City Council

We changed the default order because far more people use Beta than Prerelease, so it made sense to put that in a more convenient spot.

Hardly anyone ever logs into Prerelease other than developers doing a final quality check before go live. At some point in the future it may be hidden by default (you can toggle this in the options page) to avoid any possible confusion.

The good news is that the default order is just that, a suggestion, and you can re-order them however you like by simply dragging the little cards around. The default only applies if you haven’t ever customized the order, so once you do that it will stick forever, or at least until you change it again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1