Filesystem Migration - Where does this file go now?

WanderingAries

Last Updated: 03-15-2020

***This will probably be most helpful for the non-Windows users, but hopefully it'll serve to help in general.

Note: I'm focusing on things a user might need/want to change / migrate, not the actual game files themselves, nor new files introduced by the change.

Help Wanted: Please comment with a screenshot of something I'm missing so I can add it! Notably AE content, Spanks!

New Launcher, New File Locations! 

Since I apparently like to roll ideas now a days, I figured I'd draw up the basic organizational changes made from the Classic CoH filesystem structure to the new Homecoming design. I'm not "planning" on going into too much depth about the files themselves (which you can find on PW I'm sure), where they are or where you need to put them is the main point of this. I'm going to write this as it is organized by the Windows File Explorer set to the default Alpha-sort (A-Z) and step into each desired folder accordingly.

Reference this thread for game specific files:

Classic Structure - The following will assume the root location of /Tequila

Spoiler
  1. /costumes
    • Location of the Costume files you created
  2. /Custom_Critter
    • Location that contains your custom critters that you create
    • /CRITTER_NAME.critter
  3. /CustomVillainGroup
    • Location that contains your custom villains that you create
    • /VILLAIN_NAME.cvg
  4. /data
    • Location of the Game customizations like Vidiot Maps, etc
  5. /GAMEACCOUNT_1
    • This will Actually read something like /wanderingaries and, in my example, be in a different order based on the alpha-sorting
    • I'll call this my Primary account folder
    • /Builds
      • Location of Character Builds a player has saved
      • /build.txt
        • The file the game created for the player's last (?) saved build
    • /playerslot.txt
      • The file the game looks to for the player's custom character arrangement for each server
    • /playernotes.txt
  6. /GAMEACCOUNT_2
    • Second Verse, Same as the First!
    • I'll call this my Secondary account folder
  7. /Missions
    • Location that contains your mission files that you create
    • /autosave.storyarc
      • This file appears to change based on the last AE edit but the contents are also reflected in the related Mission
    • /MY_STORY.storyarc
      • One for every mission you save
    • /MY_STORY.storyarc.backup
      • A full copy of a deleted Mission
      • This does not migrate to the new location on its own, so you'll likely need to manually move this if it has a purpose. I'm curious though as to whether the "autosave.storyarc" is the real backup file. Please feel free to fill me in.
  8. /PowerCust
    • Location of the Power Customization files you created
  9. /screenshots
    • Location of the Screenshot files you created
    • This does not migrate to the new location on its own, so you'll need to manually move this.
  10. /chat.txt
    • The default file the game looks to for chat Settings/Binds when creating a new character
  11. /keybinds.txt
    • The default file the game looks to for Keybinds when creating a new character
  12. /options.txt
    • The default file the game looks to for Game Configuration Settings
  13. /PlayerCreatedSouvenirClues.txt
    • AE file for the last player created souvenir clue
    • This file appears to change based on the last AE edit but the contents are also reflected in the related Mission
    • This now migrates with new installations of the Launcher
    • I'm curious though as to whether this was integrated into the individual mission as I see it included in the mission file. Please feel free to fill me in.
  14. /resume_info.txt
    • Originally used to auto-fill your desired account credentials
    • Now (rightfully) neutered by the added game client security
    • This will NOT be migrated by the new launcher because it is no longer functional
  15. /wdw.txt
    • The default file the game looks to for Window Configuration Settings

New Launcher Structure - The following will assume the root location of /Homecoming

Spoiler
  1. /accounts   <---New
    • The new location that consolidates all of your game accounts into one place  
    • /GAMEACCOUNT_1
      • /Builds
        • /build.txt
      • /playerslot.txt
      • /playernotes.txt
    • /GAMEACCOUNT_2
  2. /architect   <---New
    • The new location that consolidates all of your AE content into one place 
    • /critters   <---Renamed from Custom_Critter
      • /CRITTER_NAME.critter
    • /Missions
      • /autosave.storyarc
      • /MY_STORY.storyarc
      • /MY_STORY.storyarc.backup
        • This had to be manually moved here by the user
        • Important: When using the new launcher, the game does not see these files! In order to use the file, the user has to delete the added ".backup" file extension leaving "MY_STORY.storyarc" as the file name/extension combo.
    • /VillainGroups   <---Renamed from Custom_VillainGroup
      • /VILLAIN_NAME.cvg
    • /PlayerCreatedSouvenirClues.txt
  3. /costumes
  4. /data
  5. /PowerCust
  6. /screenshots
    • This had to be manually moved here by the user as it can potentially be very large
  7. /settings   <---New
    • The new location that consolidates all of the game's settings into one place, separated by game type 
    • /beta
      • This folder is for the Beta Server
      • This folder will not exist until this Server is installed AND run at least once!
      • The files were migrated from the root /Tequila folder
      • /chat.txt
      • /keybinds.txt
      • /options.txt
      • /wdw.txt
    • /live
      • This folder is for the Live Server
      • /chat.txt
      • /keybinds.txt
      • /options.txt
      • /wdw.txt
    • /pre
      • This folder is for the Pre-Release Server
      • This folder will not exist until this Server is installed AND run at least once!
      • /chat.txt
      • /keybinds.txt
      • /options.txt
      • /wdw.txt

Edited by WanderingAries
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

***Tested on Mojave, Catalina, and Big Sur (Beta)

God I love when a Program Designer thinks ahead!!!

Ok, so ALL of the above is basically the same for the Mac, but it's up to the User to migrate/copy the files manually for now, unless HC finds a way to do it in the future.

The following assumes that you did something like this and don't currently have the Old Installation located at Applications\coh:

Required Changes from Above:

1. The New Root Folder is nested by one folder
    • Applications\coh\Launcher
  2. Simply have two finder windows open and Copy/Move the files
    • If you're just Moving the files, then Drag 'n' Drop
    • If you're Copying the files, then you'll have to use Copy/Paste instead or it will move the files

And that's it, Just follow the above to copy the files and everything should work without a problem!

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

• 4 months later
4 hours ago, TemporalVileTerror said:

May want to add that playernotes.txt is stored in the same places as playerslot.txt

And on the (very large) list of commands I wasn't aware of...https://archive.paragonwiki.com/wiki/Playernote_(Slash_Command)

• 3 weeks later

Any advice on installing Mids or CoH modder and getting them to open with your WINE installation?

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

29 minutes ago, DoctorDitko said:

Any advice on installing Mids or CoH modder and getting them to open with your WINE installation?

That would be better answered by whomever is currently handling Mids...or You might ping someone like Manga that understands all of the above. I do believe someone wrote a thread about the process though. I vaguely recall a video being posted.

• 4 months later

Been trying to get this going on my Mac...

• Installing the new Launcher did not yield the paths called out here for me. 
  • image.png.258e35322c1528a55961a4c774c7b796.png
  • I am missing the "Applications\coh\Launcher" pathing. Instead the launcher folder is under settings. What gives?
  • Note: OLD install is my old version of launch files (Island Rum)

So I tried all over again...

• I made a copy of my coh folder and saved the copy to a new location
  • I reinstalled the new Homecoming launcher on top of the original install
  • Now the Applications/coh/ directory only has a folder called "LauncherOld"

A few things that seem left out of instructions:

• Am I using the original Island Rum launcher after installing new Homecoming Launcher?
  • Above it is stated:
    • image.thumb.png.5ed628369897b74ee6fa9a67dddb5a4f.png
    • What files are you saying we should Copy/Paste? All of them?

Could use a helping hand here.

Thanks!

Edited by Haze2021

Let's see if I can detangle it for you. So the contents of an Island Rum install are in Applications\coh by default, meaning that if you opened a Finder window and clicked on your Applications folder, then inside that is a folder called coh. I'd have to look up the file structure beyond that, but the difference between that and the new launcher is that within That folder, there is a folder called Launcher that serves as the root of the new file structure for that launcher. So when you're copying things from Island Rum (costumes, etc), then you have to keep this in mind when doing your drag/drop.

So for example, if you're copying your Costumes from Island Rum to the HC Launcher, then this would be dragging the Costumes folder into the folder Applications\coh\Launcher and dropping it there. This makes your costumes now located in Applications\coh\Launcher\Costumes. It's certainly confusing to those who have no clue about how files are stored (IE: the average person), but once you have both Finder windows open and look at the structure I've written above, then it Should be as simple as just making sure to drop your source folder into the right path. 

EDIT:

I'm cross-eyed from work, so I think I misread something after typing that. What is the current path to your original Island Rum backup you made above in which you see the TXT files (chat.txt, options.txt, etc)? Is it now Applications\coh\LauncherOld?

Edited by WanderingAries