Elec Affinity vs Kin?

Zherphi

General thoughts on the support and performance of an Elect Affinity defender vs a Kin (either Def or Corr) as far as team play goes? I really like the idea of battery charging the team's endurance.. but also know Kin is super OP. It's honestly making the decision to level anything other then Kin a self debate.

My $0.02 (Canadian, so maybe half that for my US friends 🙂 )

I would say that Kin is better at high levels, Elec is better for low. By extension, then, based on an entirely too limited amount of time, I'd argue that Kin supports teams that are generally optimized, while Elec is better at patching up teams that don't quite have it all together.

As a late blooming set, Kin is OK early (Speed Boost at 12/20 is what people want), but aside from that doesn't really bring much to the table til it goes godmode post-32/38 with Fulcrum Shift online (maybe 26/35 for Transference, but FS is the big payoff here). Elec, on the other hand, seems like it gets all its really good tools early (Faraday at 8/16 being the big one) at the expense of a endgame spike power, and so is in a better position to support teams from way early on, and a generally smooth ride throughout.

@Cutter

So many alts, so little time...

Defender =  1st EA , 2nd Kin

EA is strongest on Defender and being a good team support into a great team support it thrives on defenders. Kin is overpowered on Defender  over caps and get wasted except on brutes

Coruptor/Controllers = Kin 1st, EA 2nd

For coruptors KIN is more balance and with player higher damage cap and scourge mechanic gets to it full potential. Controllers have pets imps and creepers which  have proven monstrous  with kin.  EA is weaker and with it's primary  in keeping team alive it does not complement well.

Mastermind = wash

Depends on combo and playstyle 

Edited by Ironscarlet

Kinetics is far stronger offensively, but quite weak defensively. EA is far stronger defensively, but weak offensively. I think that's the way to distinguish between them, rather than which is stronger.

If I ran one as a Controller, I would match EA with a higher-damage primary and lean on EA for survival. Fire Control would be the best option, probably. And if I ran Kinetics, I would match it with a primary that could defend strongly (especially early), and also hopefully had some damage to multiply... Plant and Dark seem like the options for it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later
On 4/6/2020 at 5:52 PM, Coyote said:

Kinetics is far stronger offensively, but quite weak defensively. EA is far stronger defensively, but weak offensively. I think that's the way to distinguish between them, rather than which is stronger.

Exactly this.

I was doing some testing of Electric Affinity builds and procs on Beta server this weekend trying to work out what tricks could be done with the set.       There's wasn't anything really impressive that EA could do solo, but I realized that a beastly "Feedback Loop" super duo could be made from a custom built Kin and EA duo mainly for the reason you outline they cover each over weakness, because they both can buff +Rech in a Feedback loop, they'll be easily able to cap Dmg and get massive +Rech, plus will have tons of mezz control, etc.       I'll make a write up about my Super Duo concept when I have some more time.

• Like 2