Request? - Change High Heel Sound to Male Footstep Sound

Title pretty much says it all. Unsure if this is the right spot to request help with this? I'm looking for a way to change the high heel sounds into the male walking sounds. I'm using lizard feet, so it's a bit weird that I keep hearing the clicking of heels.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kalthea said:

Title pretty much says it all. Unsure if this is the right spot to request help with this? I'm looking for a way to change the high heel sounds into the male walking sounds. I'm using lizard feet, so it's a bit weird that I keep hearing the clicking of heels.

It's fairly easy to do yourself.

There are quite a few 'fet' sounds depending on body type and the surface being walked on though. (Over 350 actually).

Edited by Oubliette_Red
  • Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

You would first need to identify what surfaces where you hear footfall sounds that you don't like. Like sidewalks, street, tile, etc. Also, is your character female, male, or huge? This is important to know, so that any replacement files are named correctly.

You can do this by running around in zones or missions, but you can also edit your base to have a room full of different surfaces.

With all my delving into sounds, 'Feet' sounds are probably the most numerous. So try to mark down whenever you can, what surfaces you hear the hard-heeled boot sound, that way we can try to catch them all.

• Like 1

Dislike certain sounds? Silence/Modify specific sounds. Looking for modified whole powerset sfx?

Check out Michiyo's modder or Solerverse's thread.  Got a punny character? You should share it.

1 hour ago, Oubliette_Red said:

You would first need to identify what surfaces where you hear footfall sounds that you don't like. Like sidewalks, street, tile, etc. Also, is your character female, male, or huge? This is important to know, so that any replacement files are named correctly.

You can do this by running around in zones or missions, but you can also edit your base to have a room full of different surfaces.

With all my delving into sounds, 'Feet' sounds are probably the most numerous. So try to mark down whenever you can, what surfaces you hear the hard-heeled boot sound, that way we can try to catch them all.

Oh jeez. I'm gonna have to figure out how to explore the files then if I wanna do this.

4 minutes ago, Kalthea said:

Oh jeez. I'm gonna have to figure out how to explore the files then if I wanna do this.

Not necessarily.  If you provide further info, those of us used to sfx delving can probably locate them.

• Like 1

Just now, Oubliette_Red said:

Not necessarily.  If you provide further info, those of us used to sfx delving can probably locate them.

Would it help at all if I said that I just want the Female footstep sounds completely replaced with the Male footstep sounds? Not the Brute. I never run around with heels on my characters, so having the Male ones would be far more fitting on my characters.

So this may not affect everything, I just grabbed most of the hard surfaces and duped the male feet sfx and renamed them with the female sfx file names.

Extracting the files should place them in a 'Feet' folder and you should be able to drop the folder with all the sound files into your data\ogg folder.

If you do not have a data folder within your CoH file directory, you will need to create it, then within the data folder create an ogg folder, and then drop the Feet folder into the ogg folder.

Feet.7z

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

So this may not affect everything, I just grabbed most of the hard surfaces and duped the male feet sfx and renamed them with the female sfx file names.

Extracting the files should place them in a 'Feet' folder and you should be able to drop the folder with all the sound files into your data\ogg folder.

If you do not have a data folder within your CoH file directory, you will need to create it, then within the data folder create an ogg folder, and then drop the Feet folder into the ogg folder.

Feet.7z 161.6 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you so much for helpin' out with this!

After a quick installation into the data/ogg folder, I noticed that it didn't have a "feet" folder to slapped it in there. However, after installing, I don't seem to notice any difference running on Sidewalks, Streets, or inside City Hall or the University. It does seem to affect the flat rooftops on Croatoa, however.

20 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Extract these and put them in the 'Feet' folder.

Feet2.7z 48.15 kB · 0 downloads

Thank you once more, however I think I might be doing something incorrect. I listened to all the sound files, and they're different, but putting them into the DRIVE:\City of Heroes\Data\ogg\feet folder doesn't seem to be doing anything for me in-game.

3 minutes ago, Kalthea said:

Thank you once more, however I think I might be doing something incorrect. I listened to all the sound files, and they're different, but putting them into the DRIVE:\City of Heroes\Data\ogg\feet folder doesn't seem to be doing anything for me in-game.

Not that it should matter but have you closed and restarted Tequila?

If you have access to a base and have edit permissions, you can test the replaced files. Use the /sg_music <filename> to changes your bases music to the file you want to hear. You'll need to up your music volume to hear and since they are not loops, they will only play once. Then you should know if the modified sfx are playing or the original.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Oubliette_Red said:

Not that it should matter but have you closed and restarted Tequila?

If you have access to a base and have edit permissions, you can test the replaced files. Use the /sg_music <filename> to changes your bases music to the file you want to hear. You'll need to up your music volume to hear and since they are not loops, they will only play once. Then you should know if the modified sfx are playing or the original.

I did close Tequila, yes.

Upon doing the sound test that you suggested, the sounds are in fact not playing back as their replacements. Unfortunately, I don't know what I might have done incorrectly? I've already installed one mod, the maps one I believe, and that one is working fine.

I too have the maps mod, it shouldn't have any affect on the playing of sfx.

Not sure what else the issue could be.  😞

I will have to keep hunting.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I too have the maps mod, it shouldn't have any affect on the playing of sfx.

Not sure what else the issue could be.  😞

I will have to keep hunting.

Hey, found the problem by double-checking the Silence/Modify thing in your sig! The file path is meant to be data\sound\ogg, instead of just data\ogg. Slapping it into the sound folder managed to resolve the issue, and the sounds are playing just fine.

Thanks again for the help. It's still a bit awkward since I'm using lizard feet and can hear boots, but this works out on some other characters and is a good cover-all for now.

3 hours ago, Kalthea said:

Hey, found the problem by double-checking the Silence/Modify thing in your sig! The file path is meant to be data\sound\ogg, instead of just data\ogg. Slapping it into the sound folder managed to resolve the issue, and the sounds are playing just fine.

Thanks again for the help. It's still a bit awkward since I'm using lizard feet and can hear boots, but this works out on some other characters and is a good cover-all for now.

My fault entirely. Total brain-fart on that one, I blame it on the late hour.  🙂  Glad you figured it out.

Yeah, even male feet are booted, they're just a lower pitch than female so it's less noticeable. To get a softer sound we'd have to swap it out with something like carpet sfx or perhaps sand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

My fault entirely. Total brain-fart on that one, I blame it on the late hour.  🙂  Glad you figured it out.

Yeah, even male feet are booted, they're just a lower pitch than female so it's less noticeable. To get a softer sound we'd have to swap it out with something like carpet sfx or perhaps sand.

Only problem after doing that is that it would affect all the boot options as well. No biggie though, thanks a ton for helping out, I gave you ♥s on every post you put in here. Take care!