Why is MIND CONTROL so weak?

r0y

On 5/22/2020 at 1:21 PM, Zanthyna said:

Telekinesis:

Don't change the mechanics of this power. It's iconic and one of the few where skill actually matters. Just walk-back the ED nerf.  Allow it to target 16. Thematically, it totally fits with Mind. Telekinesis means moving things with your mind.

I agree. The real limitation to this power is that it only affects 5 targets. That is not enough to fend off an overpull or really much of anything. 

Now, having watched this discussion a bit, I have a few questions about the interaction between TK and TP (Teleport). Hopefully these have not already been answered and I missed them. First, if I pick someone up with TK, can I then Teleport just to/past them and bop them with a melee attack as they float by? Can I use Teleport Foe to bring them to me while they are still held in the TK? Would they float away too quick to then bop them with a melee attack? On a Mind/Savage Dominator, could I use Feral Charge to hit a TK held target?

Thinking about it, it seems that TK is much more useful on a Dom because you could hold your opponents and pick them off with your ranged secondary attacks.

• 11 months later

lower recharge on all aoe controls

Merger 

mass confusion into confusion as one power and make it work like seeds

change telekinesis into a mass lift  damage and mag 3 disorient 

make terrify do more damage fear and immobilize

if we were to get a pet. Make it a like a psionic fear monster with mind control powers and lift 

thats what I would kind of hope for

Maybe I'm just an old hat to this particular game, but I'm -VERY- leery of some of the suggestions posited...especially regarding TK. I'm my observations of powersets in general, I've noted how general and broad in scope the powersets tend to be (for the most part). In testing well over a few hundred characters, I've found that you can generally acquire roughly two or so powers from the primary and still accomplish whatever task at hand while maintaining a strong theme regarding said character. For example: a mind controller who doesn't actually have any mind controlling ability at all save for the ability to influence the world via telekinesis - this is adequately represented via Lift and Telekinesis. I don't mind the alterations suggested, I personally would -LOVE- to see some sort of vector control as I know melee characters would love if TK repelled TOWARD the caster or Lift knocked towards the player instead of up. However, removing TK entirely is something I'm adamantly against because it's an astoundingly powerful ability, especially in the hand of a controller that knows how to use it. Please don't dumb down Mind Controllers...for those who don't like TK, you'd probably be more happy  playing a Psychic Blast Defender.

Make Fear a status that triggers containment. This sort of happens with Ice Storm IIRC, Fear sets an additional tick of damage just like immobilize, held etc.

Raise the target limit on TK or substantially lower the endurance cost, it's still the same as it was back in the beginning before target caps. TK's target cap is way too small, it used to be a power balanced by PLAYER skill and endurance. They gutted it's target cap without adjusting the end cost at all. 

If TK WAS changed to a "pull mobs to this point" (which I agree, is a lot more complex than it sounds), consider making that act a bit more like an immob, setting containment and keeping the mobs packed tight together, but able to hit back. I LIKE using it to take out bosses though, best solution for Paragon Protectors so they don't get MoG off. Great thematic style too... "STOP!" :: dramatic hand gesture :: 🙂

Mind/ is a very tactical powerset. It's a single target monster when soloing at x1 or x2, and a grandmaster at controlling Adds (additional spawns that aggro). It's the "Control" end of the AOE Damage <---> AOE Control spectrum. As a consequence, It lacks AOE damage, and having no every spawn durable AOE containment setting powers is a gap that is keenly felt in the late game, which tends to move strongly towards AOE. You need to really lean into confusion, and use Mass Hyp before Terrify if TD is still recharging.