Ouroboros: Expand patron arcs to all alignments

On 4/17/2020 at 11:35 AM, Apparition said:

For three reasons.   First, the patron power pools should have been limited to villains and rogues in the first place.  If you go hero or vigilante, you should lose them.  But it's far, far too late for that.

Okay, so why shouldn't the epic pools be similarly restricted then?

On 4/17/2020 at 11:53 AM, Nanolathe said:

Second, the majority of the player base doesn't set foot in the rogue isles anyway... and then only does so to pick thematically appropriate powers that they feel are right for their heroic blue boys. Them "breaking character" if they want these powers won't last longer than the transit time between the end of the mission and Null. Patron Pools aren't really that much of a draw to play red side content beyond that 1 that you are required forced into playing through. The arcs are easily soloable and aren't a ringing endorsement of red sides differences.

But these arcs are a shining example of making things harder for villain characters. The patron pools were meant to be the villain answer to Epic Pools blue side. Why lock them behind mission arcs at all? Honestly? Keep the missions and the associated badges, but unlock the pools.

On 4/17/2020 at 11:35 AM, Apparition said:

Thirdly, the patron arcs were and are villainous content.  They should remain that way.  Red side doesn't have nearly as much content as blue side to begin with.  To take some of that red side content away and open it up to all alignments is just rubbing salt in the wound.

As I said above...don't get rid of the arcs and badges. Just don't lock the pools behind them. It'd be throwing villains a bone as much as heroes.

Just now, THEDarkTyger said:

Okay, so why shouldn't the epic pools be similarly restricted then?

But these arcs are a shining example of making things harder for villain characters. The patron pools were meant to be the villain answer to Epic Pools blue side. Why lock them behind mission arcs at all? Honestly? Keep the missions and the associated badges, but unlock the pools.

As I said above...don't get rid of the arcs and badges. Just don't lock the pools behind them. It'd be throwing villains a bone as much as heroes.

Actually, I'd say that the epic pools should be locked to heroes and vigilantes as well.  Not that it matters to me, I've never used them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Apparition said:

Actually, I'd say that the epic pools should be locked to heroes and vigilantes as well.  Not that it matters to me, I've never used them.

I honestly don't think any powers should be restricted by side. Hell, open up content completely. Let people be heroes or villains via RP, not content locking game mechanics.

• Like 1

The OP might find better suggestions in the Roleplay forum, especially if there is SERIOUS commitment to always taking Patron power pools. I've used Patron pools on two of my 'goody goodies': The Robotic/Traps MM wanted a peak at Black Scoprion's tech (and got in over his head); the Grav/Kin's powers were corrupted after running into Ghost Widow in Cimerora. In both cases I wanted to think of them as 'good', so I ran them through morality missions to get them back to blue side. Aside from my villains (and VEATs, who can ONLY take Patron pools) I've gotten more mileage from the classic Epic pools.

If the goal is to take a Patron Pool for claiming a level of power not available to the character, and the player has RP qualms about their hero taking that path... I say the system is working as intended.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Although I don't think it's a big deal, I can see the issue some might have with having to flip to the dark side to get power sets.

I think a reasonable compromise would be to add arcs on blue side to get equivalent power pools - just name them slightly different.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, THEDarkTyger said:

That's what I was arguing for - unlocking them. 🙃