Beam/ vs DP/ and /Devices

Crysis

I’ve already got a AR/Devices and an Ice/Devices.  Both were fun but I’d like to trade out the primary.

Which and would you use....Beam or DP?

Im thinking DP and Devices synergize well.  But really struggling to hit defense caps in MIDS without gimping my damage.

Anyone have a DP/Devices build that at least softcaps positional or S/L Def?

I found it pretty easy to softcap Ranged with sets like Thunderstrike and Artillery. But I guess it depends on what you consider to be “gimped” damage. I am still experimenting with the build, so I don’t have anything fit for sharing yet, but it seems pretty fun for me, so far.

What kind of benchmarks are you looking at? Do you have a specific play style? I enjoy soloing on my DP/Dev as well as teaming, so that affects my priorities.

3 hours ago, The_Cheeseman said:

I found it pretty easy to softcap Ranged with sets like Thunderstrike and Artillery. But I guess it depends on what you consider to be “gimped” damage. I am still experimenting with the build, so I don’t have anything fit for sharing yet, but it seems pretty fun for me, so far.

What kind of benchmarks are you looking at? Do you have a specific play style? I enjoy soloing on my DP/Dev as well as teaming, so that affects my priorities.

Good to hear and I agree.

The thing I've discovered about DP is that it can work either ranged or at melee levels, although your animations look a bit goofy when in melee distance outside of HOB.  

So I've been trying to come up with a build that emphasizes not Ranged +DEF, but rather AOE and Melee.  Seems like /Devices really benefits from Melee distance.  I discovered Judgement>Vorpal Radial recently, and that has a very large +DEF bonus for a short duration after using it.  That, along with Rune of Protection from the Sorcery Pool and Hybrid>Melee would give me extreme Melee survivability for the post-50 game, maybe even some farming.   

So for once, I'm not even trying to build to Ranged softcap DEF.  But most sets actually are taking me that direction, which isn't where I want to be.

• Like 1

I agree that both Dual Pistols and Devices prefer being in the middle of packs. I like to open fights by stealthing into the spawn, laying down a Trip Mine, and then immediately following up with Hail of Bullets. Then I either leap out of the pack to use Bullet Rain and Empty Clips, or if there are just bosses left, drop Caltrops on myself and start picking them off with ST blasts.

It’s noteworthy that Trip Mine grants a sizable damage bonus from Defiance when you place it, and its detonation doesn’t end the extra, out-of-combat damage buff from Targeting Drone, so the above combo amounts to a significant damage boost to Hail of Bullets.

Another great thing about DP is that nearly every one of its attacks can slot the Force Feedback +Recharge proc, making it possible to keep it up almost constantly during combat. Trip Mine can also take that proc, and it triggers each time you lay a mine. If you forego recharge slotting in Trip Mine, and use the proc instead, you can drop mines regularly to help recharge your other powers, even when not in combat.

I also find DP’s inherent knockdown a very useful soft control tool. It makes Hail of Bullets’ animation time much more forgiving and allows you to juggle bosses pretty reliably. Swap ammo also let’s you trade that utility for extra damage in teams or when KB is counterproductive.

Overall, I have been really enjoying my DP/Dev blaster, it’s a fun, active play style and allows for a variety of potential tactics for handling encounters. I mostly just made the character because I wanted to try playing solo with /Devices, but it has far exceeded my expectations. Not that it isn’t still immensely satisfying to asplode all four of the New Praetorian EBs at once with a pile of mines, though. 😉

• Like 1

I like the fact that when they 'stop' at the edge of your caltrop patch to turn and shoot, they are still within the radius of Hail.

Consider more fighting pool. Touch of Death is a decent set for the bonuses.

And, of course, the melee hybrid +defense with 9 target taunt is a bit godlike with DP. between the hybrid, hail defense bonus, and unleash potential, you should be able to get your melee and range defense bouncing around cap (a little lower for aoe) without too many problems, and without influencing your damage too much. And Agility Alpha is definitely worth it because... Well, hail every 20 seconds kind of kicks ass.

You won't match a spines/fire brute for farming, but you can absolutely hit DA solo at reasonably high difficulties and spawn counts without looking like a Jackass. You would spend well over 2/3rds of your time well over cap, and a little purple occasionally covers any gaps.

Edited by Frostweaver

I was very happy with a 3 or 4 slotted Caltrops on my /Traps Corr.  Either at my feet as I stood within my own triage beacon, to protect my mortar or simply as a means of safely getting into melee range to lay down some mines during combat.  I get reliable holds out of the dang things with the right procs in there, and they do decent damage (which stacks well with Scourge on a Corr).  Highly underrated gadget, so useful.

I’ll fool around with a build taking all the fighting pool....Boxing+Kick+CrossPunch.  

BTW: Total sidebar but since I’ll be adding it to this build as well, Vorpal looks badass!  Cloned, energy versions of you roundhouse kicking an entire spawn at once.  Very much adds to the animation themes of Dual Pistols.  Nowhere near as much damage as Ion but hey you don’t play DP just for the damage.  It’s about style points.  Vorpal is also (I think) the only Judgement power that adds a self buff (+DEF to all for about 10-12 seconds I think).  While I took Vorpal on my “Rambo” AR/TA build, I think it will play even better on a DP/Dev build.  

Edited by Crysis
  • Like 1

Okay, so I was looking even more closely and realized a few things.
1. fully capping defenses is a total slotting nightmare outside of incarnates.
2. The combo's strengths and synergies work from PUNISHING enemies in melee, not preventing them from getting there.

3. one or two enemies in melee are a joke. 10+ in melee are dangerous

4. The only time I really NEED capped defense is when +4/x8 incarnate enemies are beating on me.
5. The most dangerous enemies are hard targets

6. Play to my strengths instead of shoring up my weaknesses. My strengths are DPS (instead of massive front loaded DPA) and a huge number of nasty tricks to keep things flopping, stunned, slowed, feared, panicked, or otherwise not shooting at me.

So I decided that with a combination of fairly decent uncapped defenses, the incredible regen potential of field op, a few extra HP to help that potential, and really good resistances (for a blaster), I could reserve a series of energency packs in my back pocket for if I REALLY get into trouble. I cobbled this together out of another 50 dp/devices That was suffering from enormous neglect, gave it a new costume, a new name, and have been running it through the DA arcs solo at +3/x8 to get a real feel for it...

So far, it's been far exceeding expectations. But I figure I will throw in some potential answers to questions you might ask 🙂

1. Why time bomb instead of trip mine?; Welp, Toe bombing is awesome and all that, but DP is WAY too busy keeping up a steady stream of DPS... and I hate setting up prepared positions, I'd rather just sneak into a group, drop the bomb, kick in a purple and melee radial and then go to town. We are NOT fire with massively front-loaded DPA... that 700+ points will definitely be useful 10 seconds from now, AND give me a chance to recover from the alpha while the bosses bounce.  Note that this is not set in stone... if melee radial interferes too much, I may switch back to toe-bombing, assuming I can find the time in a tight DP aoe attack chain. I am going to have to test a lot more before I make a final decision, but it looks like both might eventually be relegated to emergency mule status, at which point it doesn't matter which one I use. Time bomb is hugely situational which is why a lot of people think it sucks, but I find it's a hammer that pounds down a lot of nails.

2. why no hasten?; because DP's attack chain is tight, and I absolutely despise mez.... operative allows for HUGE endurance recovery, enough so that I get to put CLARION on auto instead of worrying about ageless. These guys are often going to be in melee, and high-level stuff stuns a LOT. And see above... I like being able to have 'emergency plays' like Unleash potential in my pocket, and you cannot use them if you are wobbling backwards with stars around your head. Not to mention, bullet rain procs force feedback every single time I shoot it at a group... and the FF proc does not stack (it extends) which means I am always at high recharge in a fight already.

3. Tactics?; Because I actually PVP occasionally, and screw triple-stealth stalkers. The only thing that EVER makes me miss is streakbreakers. Not to mention, between that, piercing, weaken resolve with an achilles proc that goes off almost every time, an executioner's shot every 3 seconds, and daggers, Even AV's aren't that much of a challenge, and DA content has been known to layer over -150% to-hit penalties at times. I simply don't want to worry about targetting debuffers, too busy. (and also defense mule)

4. Gun drone? I have talked gun drone up before, but with DP it's really not neccessary, doesn't add much to a fight, and with the melee radial I frankly don't want it sucking up aggro from ME if I move. I have quite decent resistance, and I have other emergency plays in my pocket already... and to be honest, the content I play against tends to dispose of a drone faster than a lore pet on a fire farm.

5. Suppressive fire? Yeah, sappers suck.

I don't have anything to offer on a BR/dev since I don't like BR very much at all. I think it's a Sentinel set cobbled onto blasters, badly, and needs some real attention to fix the 'sentinel defaults'.  The only time it was up to blaster standards was during that brief bug where every attack could cause disintegration... and even then it was still slightly below blaster standard.

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Leverage: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Secondary Power Set: Devices
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leadership
Power Pool: Force of Will
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(7)
Level 1: Toxic Web Grenade -- TraoftheH-Immob/Acc(A)
Level 2: Empty Clips -- SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(11)
Level 4: Pistols -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Dam%(15), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Apc-Acc/Rchg(17), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17)
Level 6: Swap Ammo
Level 8: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Bullet Rain -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(19), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Rgn-Knock%(21), FrcFdb-Rechg%(23)
Level 12: Targeting Drone -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(23), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(25), GssSynFr--Build%(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(27)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), GldArm-3defTpProc(31)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(34)
Level 20: Field Operative -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Prv-Absorb%(34), Prv-Heal(34), PwrTrns-+Heal(36), PwrTrns-EndMod(36), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(36)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)
Level 24: Mighty Leap -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(37)
Level 26: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 28: Suppressive Fire -- BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(39)
Level 30: Caltrops -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(40), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(40), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(40), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(42), PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(42)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg(45)
Level 35: Time Bomb -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 38: Piercing Rounds -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Dam(46), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(50)
Level 41: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 44: Weaken Resolve -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 47: Tactics -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(50)
Level 49: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Defiance
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-EndRdx(37)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Run-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump-I(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13)
Level 6: Chemical Ammunition
Level 6: Cryo Ammunition
Level 6: Incendiary Ammunition
Level 50: Void Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Seers Radial Superior Ally
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Diamagnetic Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany
------------

45 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

Okay, so I was looking even more closely and realized a few things.
1. fully capping defenses is a total slotting nightmare outside of incarnates.
2. The combo's strengths and synergies work from PUNISHING enemies in melee, not preventing them from getting there.

3. one or two enemies in melee are a joke. 10+ in melee are dangerous

4. The only time I really NEED capped defense is when +4/x8 incarnate enemies are beating on me.
5. The most dangerous enemies are hard targets

6. Play to my strengths instead of shoring up my weaknesses. My strengths are DPS (instead of massive front loaded DPA) and a huge number of nasty tricks to keep things flopping, stunned, slowed, feared, panicked, or otherwise not shooting at me.

So I decided that with a combination of fairly decent uncapped defenses, the incredible regen potential of field op, a few extra HP to help that potential, and really good resistances (for a blaster), I could reserve a series of energency packs in my back pocket for if I REALLY get into trouble. I cobbled this together out of another 50 dp/devices That was suffering from enormous neglect, gave it a new costume, a new name, and have been running it through the DA arcs solo at +3/x8 to get a real feel for it...

So far, it's been far exceeding expectations. But I figure I will throw in some potential answers to questions you might ask 🙂

1. Why time bomb instead of trip mine?; Welp, Toe bombing is awesome and all that, but DP is WAY too busy keeping up a steady stream of DPS... and I hate setting up prepared positions, I'd rather just sneak into a group, drop the bomb, kick in a purple and melee radial and then go to town. We are NOT fire with massively front-loaded DPA... that 700+ points will definitely be useful 10 seconds from now, AND give me a chance to recover from the alpha while the bosses bounce.  Note that this is not set in stone... if melee radial interferes too much, I may switch back to toe-bombing, assuming I can find the time in a tight DP aoe attack chain. I am going to have to test a lot more before I make a final decision, but it looks like both might eventually be relegated to emergency mule status, at which point it doesn't matter which one I use. Time bomb is hugely situational which is why a lot of people think it sucks, but I find it's a hammer that pounds down a lot of nails.

2. why no hasten?; because DP's attack chain is tight, and I absolutely despise mez.... operative allows for HUGE endurance recovery, enough so that I get to put CLARION on auto instead of worrying about ageless. These guys are often going to be in melee, and high-level stuff stuns a LOT. And see above... I like being able to have 'emergency plays' like Unleash potential in my pocket, and you cannot use them if you are wobbling backwards with stars around your head. Not to mention, bullet rain procs force feedback every single time I shoot it at a group... and the FF proc does not stack (it extends) which means I am always at high recharge in a fight already.

3. Tactics?; Because I actually PVP occasionally, and screw triple-stealth stalkers. The only thing that EVER makes me miss is streakbreakers. Not to mention, between that, piercing, weaken resolve with an achilles proc that goes off almost every time, an executioner's shot every 3 seconds, and daggers, Even AV's aren't that much of a challenge, and DA content has been known to layer over -150% to-hit penalties at times. I simply don't want to worry about targetting debuffers, too busy. (and also defense mule)

4. Gun drone? I have talked gun drone up before, but with DP it's really not neccessary, doesn't add much to a fight, and with the melee radial I frankly don't want it sucking up aggro from ME if I move. I have quite decent resistance, and I have other emergency plays in my pocket already... and to be honest, the content I play against tends to dispose of a drone faster than a lore pet on a fire farm.

5. Suppressive fire? Yeah, sappers suck.

I don't have anything to offer on a BR/dev since I don't like BR very much at all. I think it's a Sentinel set cobbled onto blasters, badly, and needs some real attention to fix the 'sentinel defaults'.  The only time it was up to blaster standards was during that brief bug where every attack could cause disintegration... and even then it was still slightly below blaster standard.

Reveal hidden contents

Leverage: Level 50 Magic Blaster
Primary Power Set: Dual Pistols
Power Pool: Force of Will
Ancillary Pool: Mu Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Dual Wield -- SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(A), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(3), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(5), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(7)
Level 1: Toxic Web Grenade -- TraoftheH-Immob/Acc(A)
Level 2: Empty Clips -- SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(A), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(7), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(9), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(11)
Level 4: Pistols -- Apc-Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Dam%(15), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(15), Apc-Acc/Rchg(17), Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(17)
Level 6: Swap Ammo
Level 8: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 10: Bullet Rain -- Rgn-Dmg/Rchg(A), Rgn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), Rgn-Acc/Rchg(19), Rgn-Dmg/EndRdx(21), Rgn-Knock%(21), FrcFdb-Rechg%(23)
Level 12: Targeting Drone -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(23), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(25), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(25), GssSynFr--Build%(27), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(27)
Level 14: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 16: Tough -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A), UnbGrd-ResDam(29), StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(29), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(31), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(31), GldArm-3defTpProc(31)
Level 18: Executioner's Shot -- SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(33), SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(33), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(34)
Level 20: Field Operative -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Prv-Absorb%(34), Prv-Heal(34), PwrTrns-+Heal(36), PwrTrns-EndMod(36), PwrTrns-Dam/EndMod(36)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(37)
Level 24: Mighty Leap -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel(37)
Level 26: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 28: Suppressive Fire -- BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(A), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(39), BslGaz-Acc/Rchg(39)
Level 30: Caltrops -- PcnoftheT--Rchg%(A), PcnoftheT-EndRdx/Rchg/Slow(40), PcnoftheT-Rng/Slow(40), PcnoftheT-Acc/EndRdx(40), PcnoftheT-Dmg/Slow(42), PcnoftheT-Acc/Slow(42)
Level 32: Hail of Bullets -- Obl-%Dam(A), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(43), Obl-Acc/Rchg(43), Obl-Dmg(45)
Level 35: Time Bomb -- SprAvl-Acc/Dmg(A), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(45), SprAvl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(46), SprAvl-Dmg/EndRdx(46)
Level 38: Piercing Rounds -- Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech/End(A), Bmbdmt-Dam(46), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(50)
Level 41: Charged Armor -- UnbGrd-ResDam(A), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(48), UnbGrd-ResDam/EndRdx(48), UnbGrd-Rchg/ResDam(48)
Level 44: Weaken Resolve -- AchHee-ResDeb%(A)
Level 47: Tactics -- RctRtc-ToHit(A), RctRtc-Pcptn(50)
Level 49: Unleash Potential -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), RechRdx-I(50)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A), Clr-EndRdx(37)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(13)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(13)
Level 6: Chemical Ammunition
Level 6: Cryo Ammunition
Level 6: Incendiary Ammunition
Level 50: Void Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Seers Radial Superior Ally
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon
Level 50: Melee Radial Embodiment
Level 50: Diamagnetic Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Clarion Core Epiphany
------------

Thanks for this, very helpful.

After a few more cups of coffee this AM I pretty much arrived at the same conclusion in that pushing hard for Melee capped Defense wasn't only next to impossible, but it was totally causing me to do stupid things with slotting.  Like waste a bunch of slots on the Fighting pool and Brawl stupid.  It just didn't make a lot of sense.  I was also having to really pare down primary attacks to do this, so fools errand overall.

However, I CAN do a fantastic job with high +RES by going down the Sorcery pool.  With decent enough +RECH it's up pretty frequently.  That, plus HOB native +DEF (and Hybrid Melee and Vorpal once I get Incarnates), is really the only melee distance survival I need.

Interesting perspectives on Time Bomb and Gun Drone.  While I agree with Drone overall, it's a nice pocket distraction to pull the alpha away from me or to distract the boss/EB/AV.

Decisions decisions...always tradeoffs....

Thanks again!

Meh, I don't actually find vorpal very useful, because like hail, it's defense bonus only lasts for 5 seconds.
unlike hail, though, you cannot knock it's timer down to 25 seconds.

I like the dark one better. it's debuffs last longer, and it's centered on me so no awkward cone positionings. Unlike empty clips, which is just a monster angle.

I am not as familiar with sorcery as I am with will, because I love jumping movement and weaken resolve is just such pure awesome, but if you can make it work, more power to you... My gunner is natural, so sorcery may suit your concept better.

Edited by Frostweaver

43 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

Meh, I don't actually find vorpal very useful, because like hail, it's defense bonus only lasts for 5 seconds.
unlike hail, though, you cannot knock it's timer down to 25 seconds.

I like the dark one better. it's debuffs last longer, and it's centered on me so no awkward cone positionings. Unlike empty clips, which is just a monster angle.

I am not as familiar with sorcery as I am with will, because I love jumping movement and weaken resolve is just such pure awesome, but if you can make it work, more power to you... My gunner is natural, so sorcery may suit your concept better.

Mine is actually more of an homage to Inspector Gadget, meant to be silly, not serious.

Which makes Mighty Leap even more thematically suitable since it's basically my "Go Go Gadget Springs!" travel power.

But that's also another reason to love Gun Drone.  It's just gadget-y.

57 minutes ago, Crysis said:

Mine is actually more of an homage to Inspector Gadget, meant to be silly, not serious.

Which makes Mighty Leap even more thematically suitable since it's basically my "Go Go Gadget Springs!" travel power.

But that's also another reason to love Gun Drone.  It's just gadget-y.

Man, your concept is so much easier than mine.

Mine is a Cowboy from the 1800's. Who got hanged as a horse thief because he was in teh wrong place at the wrong time, not because he was actually a horse thief.
200 years later a necromancer sucks his soul and the souls of hundreds of other historical 'criminals' into the bodies of a bunch of dumb robots in order to try and make them smart, useful minions... Half of them were not actually 'bad guys' so the necromancer in question is now in the Zig magical isolation wing.
So I had the hardest time even figuring out his origin... was he Natural? (His gun skills were all natural) was he tech? (robot Body) or was he Magic? (Necromancy)

1 hour ago, Frostweaver said:

Man, your concept is so much easier than mine.

Mine is a Cowboy from the 1800's. Who got hanged as a horse thief because he was in teh wrong place at the wrong time, not because he was actually a horse thief.
200 years later a necromancer sucks his soul and the souls of hundreds of other historical 'criminals' into the bodies of a bunch of dumb robots in order to try and make them smart, useful minions... Half of them were not actually 'bad guys' so the necromancer in question is now in the Zig magical isolation wing.
So I had the hardest time even figuring out his origin... was he Natural? (His gun skills were all natural) was he tech? (robot Body) or was he Magic? (Necromancy)

Pretty cool.

Started seeing quite a few Westworld homage toons recently.  One had a bio that was basically putting an AI consciousness that was built using data-mined and extrapolated combination sources of all the great western gunmen from the movies and history into a body of a robot.  I found the bio very fitting.

6 hours ago, Crysis said:

Pretty cool.

Started seeing quite a few Westworld homage toons recently.  One had a bio that was basically putting an AI consciousness that was built using data-mined and extrapolated combination sources of all the great western gunmen from the movies and history into a body of a robot.  I found the bio very fitting.

Thanks, but to me Westworld was an 80's suspense scifi starring Yul Brynner. This character has been around since around 92'.

Most of my concepts are Champions(The Super Roleplaying Game!) Characters that I have played PnP off and on for decades.

Still, I have been trying to figure out costume elements for your 'inspector gadget' type... Mind putting up a pic?

15 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

Thanks, but to me Westworld was an 80's suspense scifi starring Yul Brynner. This character has been around since around 92'.

Most of my concepts are Champions(The Super Roleplaying Game!) Characters that I have played PnP off and on for decades.

Still, I have been trying to figure out costume elements for your 'inspector gadget' type... Mind putting up a pic?

Still have all my Champions rule sets, addendum's, scenario packs, etc up on my bookshelf.  Loved that game.

Here's Inspector Gadget.  Simple and as true to the cartoon as I could get him.

image.png.523a2220ffdbfb168af6acd80698e677.png

And just for bonus grins, another of my "silly" themed characters, my Thugs MM named "Stay Classy."  

image.thumb.png.7c69dfed3806a321fb05816fa444770d.png

Edited by Crysis

Nice, the money aura is perfect.

Now you have inspired me to try... get this... a water/devices.

Why? Because devices works well as a full on ranged set, and because it's kind of a bitch to softcap defenses, it works especially well for sets that have 'odd' mitigation. Water, like ice, has some definitely odd sorts of mitigation, and whirlpool+caltrops procced with immob and stun could do some frightening things, not to mention dropping movement to floor without any enhancements.

The healing over time from Dehydrate added to field op could make for some truly sick regen... and it's kinda custom made for the whole icy epic, with hoarfrost jacking you to regen scrapper levels, or the dark epic... You could absolutely use OG without so much risk

Edited by Frostweaver

I’m honestly still getting used to building Blasters for Sustain.  Such an incredibly different take vs Blasters pre i24.  I have an Ice/Devices here, literally a rebuild from Live days.  Same exact slotting and all.  I just pulled up my old saved MIDS build, double checked it against my final Sentinel export from 2012, and remade him.

Even without taking advantage of new slotting techniques from FO and Taser and stuff he played like nothing I remember.  He was primarily a zone PVP build but the new absorb and Regen/Recovery aspect just makes so much difference.  Glass cannons no more.

I would like to warn against settling for "good, but not softcapped" defenses. Due to how the calculations are made, every point of defense you add increases the value of every additional point you add afterwards. Investing in ~30% defense isn't that much easier than 45%, and the last 15% is going to do more for your survivability than the first 30.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Crysis said:

I’m honestly still getting used to building Blasters for Sustain.  Such an incredibly different take vs Blasters pre i24.  I have an Ice/Devices here, literally a rebuild from Live days.  Same exact slotting and all.  I just pulled up my old saved MIDS build, double checked it against my final Sentinel export from 2012, and remade him.

Even without taking advantage of new slotting techniques from FO and Taser and stuff he played like nothing I remember.  He was primarily a zone PVP build but the new absorb and Regen/Recovery aspect just makes so much difference.  Glass cannons no more.

Yep, I had the same experience with my OG Energy² Blaster (see sig).  I was playing/building him with the same mentality I had in retail, and I was getting frustrated, so I ended up shelving him to play Sentinels.  Then I figured out how the new secondaries worked and I was like, "WTFBBQ?!?!?!"  I wish I had known this on 4/24/19, or else I wouldn't have wasted months playing other characters.  I came back to my Blaster, built him with the new sustain powers, and he's a beast now.

Edited by Rathulfr

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

• 2 weeks later
On 4/27/2020 at 8:24 PM, Crysis said:

I’ve already got a AR/Devices and an Ice/Devices.  Both were fun but I’d like to trade out the primary.

Which and would you use....Beam or DP?

Im thinking DP and Devices synergize well.  But really struggling to hit defense caps in MIDS without gimping my damage.

Anyone have a DP/Devices build that at least softcaps positional or S/L Def?

I went with Beam/Devices, although I am sure I will eventually end up with a DP/Devices.

I am always surprised how sturdy this character is.  Soft-cap Ranged and S/L, and 59%+ resistance to all.  I usually this build as a hover blaster and it works well because the sets I have add fly speed, so I'm not moving so sloooow....

Beam/Devices

Spoiler

War Beam: Level 50 Natural Blaster
Primary Power Set: Beam Rifle
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Mace Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Single Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(11), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 1: Toxic Web Grenade -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(37), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(37), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(40), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(40), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(40)
Level 2: Charged Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(3), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(5), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(15), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(17)
Level 4: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(25)
Level 6: Disintegrate -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(7), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(7), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(11), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(23), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(36)
Level 8: Super Speed -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 10: Targeting Drone -- GssSynFr--ToHit(A)
Level 12: Lancer Shot -- Thn-Acc/Dmg(A), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx(13), Thn-Dmg/Rchg(13), Thn-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(15), Thn-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), Thn-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(25)
Level 14: Aim -- GssSynFr--Build%(A)
Level 16: Smoke Grenade -- ToHitDeb-I(A)
Level 18: Penetrating Ray -- SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprDfnBrr-Dmg/Rchg(19), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(19), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(21), SprDfnBrr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(23), SprDfnBrr-Rchg/+Status Protect(43)
Level 20: Field Operative -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(27), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(43), Rct-ResDam%(43), Ksm-ToHit+(48)
Level 22: Kick -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(36), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(42), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(42)
Level 24: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(46), UnbGrd-Max HP%(50)
Level 26: Air Superiority -- KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(A), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(31), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(31)
Level 28: Trip Mine -- Obl-Dmg(A), Obl-Acc/Rchg(29), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(29), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(31), Obl-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), Obl-%Dam(46)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(37), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(39)
Level 32: Overcharge -- SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg(A), SprBlsWrt-Dmg/Rchg(33), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(33), SprBlsWrt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), SprBlsWrt-Rchg/Dmg%(36)
Level 35: Scorpion Shield -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(42)
Level 38: Maneuvers -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(39), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48)
Level 41: Hover -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(45), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(45)
Level 44: Fly -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(46)
Level 47: Afterburner -- BlsoftheZ-ResKB(A), BlsoftheZ-Travel/EndRdx(50)
Level 49: Assault -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Acc-I(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 2: Health -- Mrc-Rcvry+(A), Prv-Absorb%(45), Pnc-Heal/+End(48)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(34)
Level 0: Freedom Phalanx Reserve
Level 0: Portal Jockey
Level 0: Task Force Commander
Level 0: The Atlas Medallion
Level 50: Degenerative Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Assault Core Embodiment
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement
Level 50: Vanguard Core Superior Ally
Level 50: Agility Radial Paragon