Mind/Emapathy Builds?

horo22

3 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

What are his goals for the build?

(Off topic: I feel this question gets kicked around a lot; sometimes people want to see a sample build just to see what's possible.)

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

4 hours ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

(Off topic: I feel this question gets kicked around a lot; sometimes people want to see a sample build just to see what's possible.)

Totally agree.  Unfortunately I've no clue if Mids' is even an option for me since my only access to the internet is via my phone (or I'd happily put one up).  I saw a fair number of views without a reply so figured to try get something going.

• Like 1

It was a fair question to ask...but I think just suggesting a general build would have been a reasonable response.

But again...I understand the question.

He has made the run to post-50, added incarnate powers but he's uncertain if he maybe missed something he should have grabbed or over/under-slotted some.  Plus help on IO sets would be great.

His goal is general 50+ team missions now...taskforces and the like.

I don't have a Mind/Empath.  I do have a Mind/Kin.  Perhaps the Mind Control portions may be of some use as an example. 

• I took all 9 Mind Control powers.  Every. Last. One of them.  I have considered ditching Teleknesis, but it *has* come in handy in rare situations
  • I do not use Mid's.  I wing stuff and eyeball what will give more or less of a set bonus I want. 
  • Do I consider my built Authoritative?  Hell no.
  • Does it work well for me?  Hell yes.

image.thumb.png.8803760f16ea56ad6db585f31b010bfe.png

• Lockdown's in both single target and AE hold.  The chance for +2 mag is hard to say no to for either power, and the six slot bonus is +3.75% ranged defense... not exactly hard to take. 
  • Could I adjust this for Even More +Recharge?  Sure.  But this guy is Mind/KIN.  Siphon speed is going to give me lots of personal +Recharge, so I have less need to go completely wild slotting LotG +7.5% recharges.
  • I like Stealth. Your milage may vary.  But lets me very easily thin a herd with non-aggroing Confuses if I bit off more than I probably should chew when soloing.
  • I should probably toss some boosters in fulcrum shift and maybe free up at least one Acc slot there. 
  • For Alpha, I use Nerve, because +Hold and +Confuse, and a giant heaping scoop of extra +Acc isnt' hard to take.  The math may be different for a Mind/Emp, but for Mind/Kin, I never ever EVER want to miss with any of my attacks no matter what. Practically everything has an Acc check.
  • For Lore, I use Polar Lights.  Small, unobtrusive.  Dont' look like they would permanent give civililians nightmares for the rest of thier life (/eye Banished Pantheon pets....).  And still good AE.
  • Levitate, Terrify, Psionic Toranado [yes, deliberate] are my bread and butter powers to do damage. (and of, course, Confuses...) Mesmerize and Dominate are inevitable parts of a rotation, but I slot those for CONTROL, not for Damage dealing.  Also, if I'm exempted to 35+, I'll have a ton of stacks of Fulcrum Shift rolling, so I can boost my damage that way.  Would not be the case for Mind/Emp.
  • I probably should ditch Repel in favor of Siphon Power, but I've loved Repel ever since I used it to freight-train a group to safety in Perez Park back in the Elder Days.
Edited by MTeague
  • Like 1

And I'm somewhat the opposite of MTeague.  Had one Mind Controller back on live and a lot of Empaths though all but one was a Defender.   The Controller was an Earth/Emp.

Usually on my Empaths I'd take Healing Aura, Heal Other, Clear Mind, Fortitude, Recovery Aura, Regen Aura, Adrenaline Boost.  I generally skip Absorb Pain and Resurrect.  First and foremost on my Empaths on a teaming build I'm looking for recharge, then some recharge, then even more recharge.  I pretty much ignore(d) adding defense by and large.  My mitigation was massive regen plus epic shields (typically resist based).  I'd be more likely to try adding defense these days.

HA and HO ->

one would be either 5 slotted Doctored Wounds (low cost) or Panacea (high cost). The other would be 6 slotted for Preventative Medicine 

CM -> just the base slot and usually for range.  But pretty much anything works in the slot.

Fortitude -> got anywhere from 3 to 6 slots with a variety of enhancements.   3 Membranes +/- a LotG global +recharge or 4 LotG,

or 5 Red Fortune + LotG global +recharge being common choices.

Recovery Aura -> 3 slots (recharge, endmod/recharge, endmod/recharge)

RegenAura -> 5 Doctored Wounds or 5 Panacea

Adrenaline Boost -> used to be 5 Doctored Wounds and an Endmod/recharge but with crashless nukes nowadays the endurance enhancement is unneeded.   

That's roughly where I'd start these days.  That and I'd look for a thread by Auroxis titled "Empathy/Sonic/Soul, The endgame friendly empath".  A good read even if you are running a controller.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Typo, cashless to crashless
  • Like 2

On 5/11/2020 at 9:24 AM, 5099y_74c05 said:

I understand you are advocating for the OP but why not offer up help yourself? I'm not chiding you so don't take it that way. I would love to answer the OPs question but feel unqualified; /Emp and /Pain are secondaries I have the least "stick time" on.

Personally, I think there is great nuance in builds and Doom's question helps calibrate a precise response. If I don't know what is wrong with your current build I can't help you get to your end state. Also crafting more sophisticated builds takes time; if the OP just wants a standard IO build (no sets) then they should specify that in their request.

I'm very NOT experienced in builds (yet?); up until recently I mainly just picked and slotted "whatever" when leveling up, which obviously has it's problems when it comes to "well this power sounds good on paper, but it's not very useful because..."

Also, I was just dropping an observation made shortly before I left work for the day.  😃  But OK, here goes:

"Trollers as I understand it like to slot best for recharge and Defense, but of course everyone liked \s defense."

Nailed it!!

• Like 1

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝