Forum password issue

Eric the Grey

Good Morning.

Not sure if this should go here, or in the forum suggestions, but this seems more likely.  For the past few weeks, the forum is not remembering my password.  I have Chrome save it, so it should be automatic, but even when I type it in, what I have set doesn't work.

I reset my password using the forgot password link, and I'm good until the next time, then I have to do it all over again.  

Is this a browser issue, or a known issue with the forum software?  Any suggestions on a fix?

😎 Eric the Grey

You will want to remember that you have a Password for your Forum account, and a totally different one for Game Login. they are not typically the same.

Since this is the first I've heard of this particular problem, ( Usually people try using their forum account to enter the game ), I suggest verifying both the forum and game accounts and passwords, if this is not the problem my apologies in advance.

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

• Retired Game Master
2 hours ago, Eric the Grey said:

Good Morning.

Not sure if this should go here, or in the forum suggestions, but this seems more likely.  For the past few weeks, the forum is not remembering my password.  I have Chrome save it, so it should be automatic, but even when I type it in, what I have set doesn't work.

I reset my password using the forgot password link, and I'm good until the next time, then I have to do it all over again.  

Is this a browser issue, or a known issue with the forum software?  Any suggestions on a fix?

😎 Eric the Grey

Saved passwords on a web browser is a different mechanism than "Remember Me".  Saved Passwords is 100% your browser remembering username and password fields.  If your browser isn't remembering your password on this forum, your user profile might be affected.  (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari... etc.: instructions vary, and this isn't really a game client issue, so I can't help past that much. But at least this will get you searching for the right issue elsewhere.)

"Remember Me" is our Forum saving a cookie to automatically authorize you when re-opening the browser.  You can see the computers set to "Remember Me" and have the ability to force log off any of them in your Account Settings under "Recent Used Devices" at any time while logged in.

Some possibilities on why this would stop working:

• Plug-Ins or Extensions for Privacy may be interfering with the cookie being saved.
  • Your Browser privacy settings for cookie handling may be too strict.  Also using a Private Browsing tab (InPrivate, Incognito, etc.) also prevents session cookies from being saved between uses, so closing a Private Tab wipes them out when finished.  "Remember Me" never works when Private Browsing.
  • Certain Browser Updates (Chrome and Firefox have done this each once in the last few years) that increase security with user profile handling require a new user profile going forward, invalidating prior cookies, saved passwords and history.   This doesn't happen very often.
  • Computers on a domain or part of Mobile Device Management may have a policy rejecting cookies from unknown sites.
  • You're using a new computer user account.  Windows separates user profiles with a unique user database and AppData folder for user Registry and Storage Settings on many apps, INCLUDING web browsers.  So you're starting from scratch on your browser.
  • Anti-malware or security software may also be a factor.  (Norton, ESET, McAfee, etc.)  Security software often has browser security settings that also affect the use of cookies.

These two features DO NOT intersect. 

• If you set a different password on the forum, and your Saved Passwords are not updated, your browser will keep filling the wrong password. 
  • And "Remember Me" cookies do not have your password at all, just a temporary authorization code to bypass login that only works on your computer alone (you'll never see the code, it's in the cookie itself and is transparently sent in the background).  It DOES expire if you change your password (the authorization code will be voided) or if you click "Logout" at any time (either on the actual computer involved, or through "Recent Used Devices" in settings on this Forum).

You don't have to use both.  If you want the browser to remember the password, you don't have to check "Remember Me."   And if you have your password well memorized, "Remember Me" is sufficient to save some time from logging in without storing your password in the browser in the first place.

Edited by GM Tahquitz
  • Like 1

Make sure the browser isn't set to purge the cache and that something's not doing that automatically.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

9 hours ago, GM Tahquitz said:

Some possibilities on why this would stop working:

• Plug-Ins or Extensions for Privacy may be interfering with the cookie being saved.
  • Your Browser privacy settings for cookie handling may be too strict.  Also using a Private Browsing tab (InPrivate, Incognito, etc.) also prevents session cookies from being saved between uses, so closing a Private Tab wipes them out when finished.  "Remember Me" never works when Private Browsing.
  • Certain Browser Updates (Chrome and Firefox have done this each once in the last few years) that increase security with user profile handling require a new user profile going forward, invalidating prior cookies, saved passwords and history.   This doesn't happen very often.
  • Computers on a domain or part of Mobile Device Management may have a policy rejecting cookies from unknown sites.
  • You're using a new computer user account.  Windows separates user profiles with a unique user database and AppData folder for user Registry and Storage Settings on many apps, INCLUDING web browsers.  So you're starting from scratch on your browser.
  • Anti-malware or security software may also be a factor.  (Norton, ESET, McAfee, etc.)  Security software often has browser security settings that also affect the use of cookies.

These two features DO NOT intersect. 

• If you set a different password on the forum, and your Saved Passwords are not updated, your browser will keep filling the wrong password. 
  • And "Remember Me" cookies do not have your password at all, just a temporary authorization code to bypass login that only works on your computer alone (you'll never see the code, it's in the cookie itself and is transparently sent in the background).  It DOES expire if you change your password (the authorization code will be voided) or if you click "Logout" at any time (either on the actual computer involved, or through "Recent Used Devices" in settings on this Forum).

You don't have to use both.  If you want the browser to remember the password, you don't have to check "Remember Me."   And if you have your password well memorized, "Remember Me" is sufficient to save some time from logging in without storing your password in the browser in the first place.

Ok.  I should have clarified a bit more.  

1. I use the Remember Me option.  The site doesn't remember, and I have to log in every time I restart my browser.

2. Chrome has saved my password, but the system won't accept it.  

3. I type in my username and password, and the site won't accept it.

4. I reset it, back to my original password, and I get logged in, but only until I restart my browser again.  Then, I start over again, having to reset. 

While typing this, I had an idea. Going to check it out and come back. 

Edit:  Tested my secondary account and it works without a problem.  

Cleared cache and tried again, same thing. 

However, I think I've figured it out. For some reason, the forum has stopped accepting my username (EricTheGrey) and only accepts my email address, but it will log me in.  I guess it's fixed.  

Thanks for the assist at any rate. 

😎Eric the Grey

Edited by Eric the Grey
  • Like 1

• Retired Game Master
12 hours ago, Eric the Grey said:

Ok.  I should have clarified a bit more.  

1. I use the Remember Me option.  The site doesn't remember, and I have to log in every time I restart my browser.

2. Chrome has saved my password, but the system won't accept it.  

3. I type in my username and password, and the site won't accept it.

4. I reset it, back to my original password, and I get logged in, but only until I restart my browser again.  Then, I start over again, having to reset. 

While typing this, I had an idea. Going to check it out and come back. 

Edit:  Tested my secondary account and it works without a problem.  

Cleared cache and tried again, same thing. 

However, I think I've figured it out. For some reason, the forum has stopped accepting my username (EricTheGrey) and only accepts my email address, but it will log me in.  I guess it's fixed.  

Thanks for the assist at any rate. 

😎Eric the Grey

1. The browser is rejecting the cookie.  Probably for one of the prior reasons I've already typed.

2. You can go to Settings in Chrome and delete saved passwords for homecomingservers.com.  Then when you enter the working password, Chrome will prompt to save the correct one.

(3 and 4 are probably solved if 1 and 2 are taken care of.)

Your browser cache doesn't include cookies: only past webpages and client-side scripts.  Cookies do persist after clearing the cache out.  The only other reason why it might not accept your credentials: spaces do count.  If your forum login is "Eric The Grey", "EricTheGrey" isn't the same username to the forum.  (But as you've already seen, email address instead of user name also works.)

Edited by GM Tahquitz

8 minutes ago, GM Tahquitz said:

1. The browser is rejecting the cookie.  Probably for one of the prior reasons I've already typed.

2. You can go to Settings in Chrome and delete saved passwords for homecomingservers.com.  Then when you enter the working password, Chrome will prompt to save the correct one.

(3 and 4 are probably solved if 1 and 2 are taken care of.)

Your browser cache doesn't include cookies: only past webpages and client-side scripts.  Cookies do persist after clearing the cache out.  The only other reason why it might not accept your credentials: spaces do count.  If your forum login is "Eric The Grey", "EricTheGrey" isn't the same username to the forum.  (But as you've already seen, email address instead of user name also works.)

Clearing the cache probably didn't help, because I did not choose to delete cookies (I have way too many sites that I prefer to stay logged into), but one never knows.   I did go in and have Chrome forget my login on the site.  

At any rate, thanks again for the help.  🙂 

😎 Eric the Grey

• Like 1

I have a nasty habit of using clean disk and ticking all the boxes.  That DOES delete the cookies and leaves me in a world of hurt.  For 3 months I could only email from phone lol.

I believe that on the chrome delete history clear cache thingies there are options to delete cookies and maybe even per site, like I dont let it delete facebook cookie but pls delete ivisitedthissitebyaccident.com cookie 😁

My dad has a spreadsheet (I made for him) with all his sites, logins and passwords.  Really not a secure way to do things but saves him time in the long run.

9 hours ago, EmmySky said:

I have a nasty habit of using clean disk and ticking all the boxes.  That DOES delete the cookies and leaves me in a world of hurt.  For 3 months I could only email from phone lol.

I believe that on the chrome delete history clear cache thingies there are options to delete cookies and maybe even per site, like I dont let it delete facebook cookie but pls delete ivisitedthissitebyaccident.com cookie 😁

My dad has a spreadsheet (I made for him) with all his sites, logins and passwords.  Really not a secure way to do things but saves him time in the long run.

Yea.  I work tech support myself, and clearing browser cache is sometimes vital in getting people into their web conference meetings.  This is mostly IE, not Chrome, but even Chrome needs it sometimes.  I always recommend NOT deleting all the cookies, just the main cache, because cookies rarely make that much of a difference in these cases.  Cookies are not the big risk that some would have you believe, IMO. 

As to having a spreadsheet, I have mine in a Word document which is currently 8 pages long... LOL  It helps. 

😎 Eric the Grey

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)