How do skies work?

Ceiling must be max height.  Max height ceiling can be set to 'none'; if you are using any pattern no sky will work.  Add sky. 

QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291

How do you remove the pattern ? I mean, I have a room with max height ceiling yet as I previously set a room style to the whole base, I still see the ceiling and not the sky.

I was also wondering if there is a way to remove walls or to have a landscape applied to them ? For instance, I want to have a room that would be "outside" the base, like a balcony or a street between two bluidings (with vehicles, citizens NPC and so on), so I want to remove the ceilling in order to see the sky, but I would also appreciate to be able to remove the walls to see an Independence Port background landscape, or an Atlas Park or Galaxy City one. Is this possible?

superG2.png

Additionally the sky options in the place object menu are only 5x5 square instances. The view of the sky only applies while you are IN that perimeter so if you put one in a room but then look into the room from an adjacent hall or door outside the sky shown will be whatever your base's default is. If you set multiple boxes next to each other you'll experience a fade out/fade back in effect as you move from one to another; overlapping may work better but it gets messy fast.

It's much better to use the base default sky command instead. I'm not sure what a good use of the placeable skyboxes would be but my guess would be for making a room off to itself special.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!

Additionally the sky options in the place object menu are only 5x5 square instances. The view of the sky only applies while you are IN that perimeter so if you put one in a room but then look into the room from an adjacent hall or door outside the sky shown will be whatever your base's default is. If you set multiple boxes next to each other you'll experience a fade out/fade back in effect as you move from one to another; overlapping may work better but it gets messy fast.

It's much better to use the base default sky command instead. I'm not sure what a good use of the placeable skyboxes would be but my guess would be for making a room off to itself special.

That's my thinking. SG default skybox general use, room-specific skybox for specific ambiance.

On that note, I wish bases had place-able windows, even with the lack of cityscape or other borderscapes.

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

That's my thinking. SG default skybox general use, room-specific skybox for specific ambiance.

On that note, I wish bases had place-able windows, even with the lack of cityscape or other borderscapes.

Have you not seen Leandro's latest stream? Or most of the base building screen shots on discord?

Build outside the grid and you can have as many windows as you want:

Thank you for reversing NC's snap...

@Lightyears - Excelsior

Have you not seen Leandro's latest stream? Or most of the base building screen shots on discord?

Build outside the grid and you can have as many windows as you want: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/427246330

I have not, but I am now. I'm not sure how much I want to build outside the grid, because I'd have to build my own walls and roof outside the grid, but let me watch the whole video first.

Interesting commands:

enterbase - enter your SG's base

enterbasebysgid <INT> - enter somebody's base presumable by the numerical ID of the passcode.

vscale <INT> - increases vscale graphic option to have the GPU draw more of the base (useful for very large bases)

nocall <0/1> - turns collision/ clipping on or off for editing character

Wonder if these will work outside of the closed beta.

Also, have some Inf.

Edit: wow, this is like a master class, even with Leo being "not a base builder" :D

Obsidius

Excelsior Server | The Nightwatch

NW-738

room-specific skybox for specific ambiance.

The problem I have with that in practice is the look-in effect. Like I had a large room and I put a small skylight in the center and put Storm Palace sky above it, 2x2 area out of the 5x5 box. When I walked into the room the sky light looked normal and then changed visibly as I got closer, and became magenta. In order to maintain immersion you'd have to put a room off far enough from the main base that you could drop multiple overlapping skyboxes to create a viewing corridor as you came to the doorway of the room.  That much overlapping makes me leery of it being practical to do... but maybe I'm worried for nothing.

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!