A warning about building outside the base

Eoghnved

I'd just spent several weeks working on a base that was going to be a large spaceship.  After building extensive rooms above and below the main base, I started trying to set up the interior only to find out it was no longer possible to select room sections.  I had to delete the whole thing and just go to a large empty room, without a single interior item.  I wish I'd known that before I started.

I was working on a multilevel spaceship, with floors both above and below the main section.  I set up the basic structure for those parts first, then started on the middle.  Unfortunately, all the things above and below prevented selecting the interior sections and I had to throw out everything.  I'd been working on this for several weeks, so now I'll just have to use a minimalist design.  Keep the total items in the base below eight.

I have learned to add a layer of Ledges 2 blocks thick above my base line and below.  This adds a buffer so you can push stuff down or up as needed without it getting inside the base so you can build.  

Examples of this are in these bases I built on Indom

INCURSION-5731 (didn't layer and have this trouble)
LASERRANGERS-7198 (did it and works great)
RENEGADES-2257 (I have built the entire inside as well as the full town above with the layer technic, you can see it in the garage.)

• 4 weeks later

I have an extremely large canyon on top of my base.  Using the massive Isle stones I use the Ctrl click method to select the base floor. It is pretty reliable.  Just like Eva Destruction said above.

Main trouble I have is NPC.  Inside is insane enough. Outside its not possible to controll them.  SO only way I can is place them off somewhere isolated. (currently below my base) position them then move them way over where I want.  This is horribly tedious.  So I keep them to bare minimum.

WARNING. Do not place any storage till you are done.  I found moving them clears the undo (ctrl+z) IF I touch one I just hit escape while its on my curser and it clears the edit.

I found out I thought I was moving one thing I was moving others.  I found this out a little too late. So I had to spend a lot of time redoing. But now I hit escape as soon as I see what I expect to move is not moving.

My other base is tiny.  Has 2 stories inside the bounds of the main area. THese are created via the supplied Dividers and structures. THis was my 4th base and wow is building inside so much easier.