Help me update my old guides?

Robotech_Master

Back in the day, I used to write quite a few guides for City of Heroes. With a little help from Archive.org and ParagonWiki, I've managed to locate more of them than I thought I would. Alas, anything else I wrote was lost with my writing directory when some old hard drive failed.

I've been thinking of perhaps revising and updating some of them--at least, the ones that are still relevant. Of course, being that I'm just getting back into the game after so long, there may be changes that I'm not even cognizant of at this point, so I'd welcome any suggestions or hints to what I should tweak. (At least updating the ones on ParagonWiki will be easy.)

Is there anything I need to change, or that's not true anymore? And does anyone have any feedback on the bits that are still good? :)

Here are links to what I've been able to locate...

The "XP Gain" guide is pretty obviously going to need a major overhaul, given that its latest version dates from before the I16 sidekicking system overhaul, so that entire section can be moved to the "Hall of Shame"…so any really obvious changes like that, I probably already know about. But I'm curious as to any changes to how herding works, as last thing I knew, Fiery Aura's burn patches causes mobs to freak and run away but that's apparently not true anymore.

Sadly, the one guide I really want to read again, about Fire tanking, seems to be gone for good, as it was posted to the RP Congress forums, which unfortunately didn't get crawled by the Internet Archive. If anyone knows anything about any archives of RP Congress posts, I'd love to hear about it. I posted a lot of stories there that I'd like to see again.

Thanks for checking them out.

If you liked what I had to say, please check out my City of Heroes guides!

So regarding your consignment house guide you might want to put in two Homecoming-specific updates.

First off the market has been changed so that set IOs of different levels are linked. So if (for example) I list a level 37 enhancement and you place a buy order for a level 50 version of the same item then my sell order can be used to fulfill your bid. The game simply replaces the enhancement I was selling with one of the level that you are buying (the same is ture for recipes). This also applies to Hamidon Enhancements versus Synthetic Hamidon Enhancements.

Secondly since Enhancement Converters are so much cheaper here than they were on live the economy is a bit different. Specifically for most IOs you're better off buying the enhancement rather than the recipe. On live you would pay a premium but here it can actually be cheaper since for popular IOs the majority of the supply comes from people crafting low-value recipes and then using converters to convert the enhancement into something valuable.

Defender Smash!

Huh...so if I want a Steadfast Protection knockback resist IO, I could just buy one of (the recipes for) the other two, and use a converter to switch it up?

From the point of view of someone wanting to slot up, that's pretty neat, but I can't help feeling like it takes something away from all the sellers...

Huh...so if I want a Steadfast Protection knockback resist IO, I could just buy one of (the recipes for) the other two, and use a converter to switch it up?

Yep, although sine that one is pretty obvious the other two IOs sell for similar prices.

From the point of view of someone wanting to slot up, that's pretty neat, but I can't help feeling like it takes something away from all the sellers...

Not really it just changes things up a bit. Rather than buying recipes and crafting IOs we're buying recipes, crafting IOs and then converting them into more valuable IOs before selling them. So a lot fo junk recipes are actually semi-valuable since they can be converted into more valuable IOs.

Defender Smash!

• 4 weeks later

Well, I've updated the leadership and consignment market guides with some I25 stuff (which I really hope the ParagonWiki folks don't have any trouble with, given they've apparently decided that the wiki itself is going to stop with I24), and I posted an updated version of the Bloody Bay guide to the ParagonWiki guides section, too. I may tweak the set recipes one at some future point.

But right now, I think I'm going to work on bringing my XP Gain/Debt Loss guide current, it being my magnum opus from the old days. So, any suggestions for things to put in there will be appreciated!