'Tough Enough' - Tanking Theory

marcussmythe

I have a Dark/SS and a Dark/Rad and neither have endurance problems endgame. Defence is over 50% which can be debuffed, but then i still have capped resists and an amazing heal every 8-10 seconds or so and some minor CC if i wanted. I like it 🙂

I would think Cardiac and Barrier would work , especially with Dark consumption, although a long fight on a single target may prove otherwise. There are other means to recover endurance though on those odd occasions. Or use Ageless and any alpha you wish.

One thing that does help though is slow resistance. I would try to get at least 50%.

Edited by Gobbledegook

22 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

Thats uncanny how close both of our decisions are running on these builds, I actually capped nrg res at 90 but felt it compromised too much on damage to do it so I reverted back to the build at 80.

It may just be where things "naturally" end up, because I saw a couple iterations of a DA/MA Tanker build by @EnjoyTheJourney with some differences in powers and slotting, but very similar numbers on the survival side.

Capped energy resistance on Dark Armor is impressive. But yeah, I do understand cutting back for other things, particularly when you'll normally get there anyway. Even the scaling resistance IO makes a big difference when we're approaching the cap. I targeted 84% resistance to most on my Brute, figuring I'd either get the 6% from the scaling resists or from Barrier any time it actually mattered.

34 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

I also went cardiac, and thought about barrier actually, its hard to pass up the recharge of ageless in my mind, but I may end up running both and flipping situationally.

I may do that on my Brute. I made some compromises to go from 305 to 360 DPS that left me unable to handle, say, the to-hit debuff of Carnies. Ageless Radial fixes that, so I could switch back and forth between Barrier and Ageless depending on what group I'm fighting and probably make do. Or I may just drop back to 305 DPS. I don't need to solo Giant Monsters or L54 AVs with 50% lethal damage resistance, and the survivability was a little better before. Or I may just play my Tanker all the time now. 😉

37 minutes ago, Infinitum said:

What hybrid are you running?

I plan to run Assault. When I had Melee on my Brute, I almost never touched it, so that's probably doubly true for a Tanker. It also gives me the DPS for L54 AVs, at least the ones without resists. Though if I instead went Ageless, and DPS was less my concern, I'd probably go Melee so I'd have an answer to resistance debuffs. Not a hugely powerful one, but something at least.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 12:14 PM, Werner said:

It also gives me the DPS for L54 AVs, at least the ones without resists. Though if I instead went Ageless, and DPS was less my concern, I'd probably go Melee so I'd have an answer to resistance debuffs. Not a hugely powerful one, but something at least.

I find a lot depends on the AV.  The real nightmare for me to DPS down was the Praetorian Manticore - I foolishly launched the mission at 54, forgetting he shifts up to +4 - making him 58 to my 53.  That was horrible.

Currently struggling with the right plan and inspiration mix for Tin Mage Bobcat.  I can get her - Ive just got to separate her from the Walkers, wear her down, dagger her as much as possible during unstoppable, and hope it doesnt bug out - her unstoppable doesnt always crash her HP, and doesnt always stop giving her resists when it should crash.

Giant Monsters, OTOH, are actually much easier for me - even with their higher HP totals, the fact that they arent level shifted to hell and back means that my Lore and Daggers can keep their regen under control much more easily.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute