Preventative +Absorb Proc vs lvl 50 Heal/Absorb IO in Reaction Time

Chance Jackson

Preventive Medicine's %+Absorb will proc even if it is in a power that is not active (or automatic) as long as the toon is lvl 17+. It will proc only after you have taken some amount of damage, so don't expect to idle around with an extra Absorb barrier.

Writing only for myself: I typically chase Endurance and Global Recharge bonuses, and since Preventive Medicine gives both at 6-pieces, I prefer to put that set in a power (that accepts Healing sets) other than Health.

I am a big fan of the Preventive Medicine Proc....taking a lot of damage and seeing that Preventive Medicine pop-up on screen to help save your butt is always a joy :)

And I agree with tidge, I like to six slot that set as well,depending on what def/res I am chasing. 

A Pancea proc is my goto health proc.

My build is more or less locked with at least 40.8 def to all types except Psionic so I can't fit in a whole nother set but I can fit in a single lvl 50 health/absorb IO or Preventative +Absorb Proc depending on how big the latter is when it pops up it will make more sense then the former but I'm quite unsure ATM

If you are only dropping the Absorb proc in place, it won't matter where it goes. If I was only slotting Healing procs, I would go in this order:

1) Panacea (always)

2) Preventive Medicine (as @SuperPlyx wrote, getting an Absorb buffer can be a lifesaver.  I actually use it more to tell when I am taking damage!)

3) Miracle +Recovery (assuming I have the Performance Shifter %+End proc in Stamina)

I usually caution players about the diminishing returns from slotting Regeneration procs. IIRC, just having the inherent Health (unslotted) is a big boost to Regeneration. I think slotting an extra 10% Regeneration only reduces the time between healing ticks from something like 8.5 seconds to 7.5 seconds , assuming no other Regeneration bonuses except inherent Health. You are generally better chasing fractional Defense boosts. Diminishing returns applies to Endurance/Recovery as well, but increasing your Endurance spending is (generally) something you WANT to do... especially as a Blaster.

EDIT: I updated my numbers on the time between ticks for healing. My original numbers were from my memory of a toon with already high regen.

Edited by tidge

I don't think the responses have understood your question.  You want to compare the regular Generic Health IO slotted in Reaction Time (a blaster toggle that gives absorb over time) versus slotting the preventative medicine proc, correct?

Reaction Time's absorb is a base of 5% of your max health and it resets every 2 seconds.   Adding a level 50 IO increases that by an extra 2.1% of your base health.

If I recall correctly the preventative medicine proc is 3.5 times per minute for 5%.   

To compare the two you need to consider yourself how often you're getting hit.  If the PM proc triggers between hits it's better because it's bigger.  But if you're getting hit more frequently than that, the health IO is going to be better because it recharges every few seconds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

6 hours ago, Shred Monkey said:

I don't think the responses have understood your question.  You want to compare the regular Generic Health IO slotted in Reaction Time (a blaster toggle that gives absorb over time) versus slotting the preventative medicine proc, correct?

Reaction Time's absorb is a base of 5% of your max health and it resets every 2 seconds.   Adding a level 50 IO increases that by an extra 2.1% of your base health.

If I recall correctly the preventative medicine proc is 3.5 times per minute for 5%.   

To compare the two you need to consider yourself how often you're getting hit.  If the PM proc triggers between hits it's better because it's bigger.  But if you're getting hit more frequently than that, the health IO is going to be better because it recharges every few seconds.

Yup, I guess I might have communicated my question in an unclear way but you understood it the way I wanted it to be understood. 

I thought perhaps incorrectly that Preventative Medicine + Absorb only triggers when you are exceptionally low health

I can't find good hard numbers, but I think Preventative Medicine is 15-20% of your health, but only triggers at most once per 90s.  The chance to trigger in any 5s window goes up at lower health, and is basically guaranteed under 30% health.

I think Reaction time is a flat 60 HP absorb every 5 seconds (assuming it's similar to /Plant's Wild Fortress.)  So for my 50 AR/Plant, Preventative is 266hp/90s roughly 3hp/second.  A 42 Heal buff in Wild Fortress is 12*.42 roughly 5hp/second.  But you'd need to be getting hit every 5seconds for the extra Reaction Time absorb to really count, where Preventative is likely to get the full use since it's a bigger chunk.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 4:51 PM, senseichen said:

I can't find good hard numbers, but I think Preventative Medicine is 15-20% of your health, but only triggers at most once per 90s.  The chance to trigger in any 5s window goes up at lower health, and is basically guaranteed under 30% health.

I think Reaction time is a flat 60 HP absorb every 5 seconds (assuming it's similar to /Plant's Wild Fortress.)  So for my 50 AR/Plant, Preventative is 266hp/90s roughly 3hp/second.  A 42 Heal buff in Wild Fortress is 12*.42 roughly 5hp/second.  But you'd need to be getting hit every 5seconds for the extra Reaction Time absorb to really count, where Preventative is likely to get the full use since it's a bigger chunk.

Thank you

@jonwol2 it's been a lot of fun.  I just got to 50 with early Incarnate stuff.  I only took it initially to fit my name (Shoot and Leaves) but it's excellent.  

The new Blaster sustain helps a ton, and give you a lot of End to work with.  AR is an AoE machine, and the plant Hold and Immob go a long way early.  Immob+Ignite is crazy damage.  I ended up taking all the AR cones, so Ripper is a nice melee cone to finish off anything that gets to you.  Once you get APPs, Bonfire +KB to KD is great.  Char is a second longer range copy of the plant hold, and also awesome.  Vines is an AoE Hold with a CD dramatically lower than any Controller AoE Hold.  Not that you'll need to use it much.  

I only noticed after I hit 50 that Blaster Snipes give a 50% range buff for 10s.  Toxins, Sniper Shot on a yellow from 150', then dropping a Full Auto 120' cone and watching packs of whites melt offscreen as the run towards you and die before they get in range is golden.

I am quite fond of Preventative Medicine on all my characters.  It only ever procs if you have taken damage, so just seeing it there is a warning, 'hey, you had better look at your health bar.'  Since it can proc if your health is less than 100% it isn't always cause for alarm.  But the lower your health is, the better its chances. 

• Like 2
QVÆ TAM FERA IMMANISQVE NATVRA

TB ~ Amazon Army: AMAZON-963 | TB ~ Crowned Heads: CH-10012 | EX ~ The Holy Office: HOLY-1610 | EV ~ Firemullet Groupies: FM-5401 | IN ~ Sparta: SPARTA-3759 | RE ~ S.P.Q.R. - SPQR-5010

Spread My Legions - #207 | Lawyers of Ghastly Horror - #581 | Jerk Hackers! - #16299 | Ecloga Prima - #25362 | Deth Kick Champions! - #25818 | Heaven and Hell - #26231 | The Legion of Super Skulls - #27660 | Cathedral of Mild Discomfort - #38872 | The Birch Conspiracy! - #39291