Poison Trap in Poison vs Poison Trap in Traps?

JnEricsonx

Not really similar other than name.  Poison trap in poison is weak end/recovery debuff.  It's pretty terrible out of the box but it's a decent power if you load it with procs.  It also has a fast animation time (1 second) and moderate recharge.  Traps' poison trap is a very powerful -regen debuff (-1000%) that's great against AVs.  It's way slower than poison's version and has a much longer recharge.  The only thing the 2 powers really have in common is the small chance to hold and make enemies vomit.

Traps version is definitely better.  Some poison builds even skip poison trap since it's pretty useless outside of using it for proc damage.

Edited by josh1622
  • Like 1

I like 5 piece Arma (all but Damage) + Fury of the Gladiator proc in Poison Trap. PT's base recharge is low enough you keep 95% chance to proc with that setup. You get juicy set bonuses, a solid damage proc in Arma, + great -RES uptime on Fury of the Gladiator, stacking with your other -RES debuffs.

But, this is from the perspective of ST damage above all, and on a defender.

On a Thugs/Poison MM, if you're not dipping into patrons for a proc-heavy hold, you could go all out in Poison Trap. Stuff the Unbreakable Constraint proc, the Armageddon proc, Fury of the Gladiator, then any other 3 standard damage procs to your liking. You'd end up with a mininuke in your hands.

A /Poison may put the purple Hold proc into Paralytic Poison to turn that into a real attack. So that leaves you with 3 damage procs from the PBAoE sets plus the purple one, and the -Res proc. So with one slot left over and no more damage procs, I'd put Lockdown so that the initial Hold has a good chance to Hold Bosses.

On 6/28/2020 at 3:12 AM, nihilii said:

I like 5 piece Arma (all but Damage) + Fury of the Gladiator proc in Poison Trap. PT's base recharge is low enough you keep 95% chance to proc with that setup. You get juicy set bonuses, a solid damage proc in Arma, + great -RES uptime on Fury of the Gladiator, stacking with your other -RES debuffs.

isn't it a pseudo pet though so IIRC proc rate should be calculated based off a 10 sec recharge rate along with radius

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Chance Jackson said:

isn't it a pseudo pet though so IIRC proc rate should be calculated based off a 10 sec recharge rate along with radius

I'm pretty dumb when it comes to the arcane workings of procs. You may be right and I may have gotten the theory completely wrong. Truthfully, I followed Frosticus' excellent Poison guide:

which suggests slotting the power with procs is a good idea. I did, and it does feel effective ingame. Whenever I drop the power mobs seem to get hit with the proc more often than not (easy to see with just Arma in there, as if they take 2 digit damage at all, I know it's from the proc).

I mostly run a Poison/Fire defender focused on ST damage, and Fireball + Poison Trap tends to clear minions and lieuts fast enough as I focus on bosses. No doubt Fireball does the brunt of the work, but I have enough experience with Fire Blast without extra to know Fireball alone just doesn't match this clear speed.

(But come to think of it, it could also be that Poison's tremendous -RES boosts Fireball to the point it clears weak mobs much faster, regardless of Poison Trap.)

Edited by nihilii
  • Like 1

I love the Poison Trap from Poison on my Thug/Poison. It is a low cooldown, large area of effect hold. In +X/8 missions I can use it to hold most minions and lieutenants without much effort. It helps when solo to soften the incoming damage, since all I can personally do for pet defense is some resistances and defense soft cap. Just by watching damage to your pets and your party, you can tell the difference between using it and not using iI could proc it out, but I do not bother. I use the purple hold set in it which has the damage proc. The damage is nice when it goes off.

As for the differences with Traps Poison Trap, Josh got it right. The Traps one has a long cast time and can be interupted. It also has a -regen debuff. The Poison one feels more instant cast and cannot be interupted. It is supposed to have an endurance debuff, but I have never noticed it working much, even when I solo AVs.