Define a defender

DrInfernus

2 hours ago, Peacemoon said:

Not really for me, AB does massive recharge bonus which is much superior IMO. They are very different buffs in my opinion just similar recharge and duration. 

They’re literally as direct a comparable as you can get in distinct powers that aren’t reskins, in my opinion. Actually, personally I consider all

AB, Forge, and PB to be the comparables, with different strengths/weaknesses so my mindset is a little different. They’re all variants of the same function for the set (single target damage increase) in my head. 

same way clear mind/thaw/enforced morale/clarity are the comparables... but I suppose that’s all just opinions.

speaking of which, clarity should totally be an aoe. It ain’t special enough 😞 

Edited by kiramon

On 6/29/2020 at 9:50 AM, Doomguide2005 said:

Short answer ... for the same reason 'you' aren't.  

Long(er) answer will have to wait as real life calls.

Longer answer, they don't want to for any of a large number of reasons.  Including liking Empathy more.  Not thinking the difference is enough to matter, thinking Empathy is superior in some way.   Preferring Thermal.  Don't want to play a redside villain reformed or otherwise.  Don't like what Pain Domination implies.  Etc., etc..

And none of the above really addresses my first paragraph.   And the second mostly relates to how potent those buffs are.  There's nothing in essence 'wrong' with the Empathy set when an 8-man all Empath team can produce those numbers.  The problem isn't in Empathy per se but more a side effect of end game conditions in which AoE is king whether in attacks, buffs or debuffs crossed with highly self sufficient high end builds.  The more removed from leagues of 50+3, t4'd builds the more Empathy's utility will increase.

And if more than a trace of those min/max optimized builds are melee/non-support then while the components might be maxed the league most certainly isn't.

Edited by Doomguide2005

I think force multiplier term captures the buff/debuff aspect of defenders nicely.   

Another way of looking at defenders is as a catalyst.  Good defenders speed up the teams ability to achieve their goal, by making the team stronger (buffs), enemies weaker (debuffs) and more survivable (heals/mez protection). 

Many high level toons are geared for self sufficient solo play which is why defenders focused on team survival (empathy) tend to be less catalyzing in end game content.  Debuffs, however, continue to add value  no matter how built out your 50+3 scrapper teammate is--provided they haven't run off to solo the map. 

Edited by Windchime