Devs fix the lag.

ac9999

Doc, I salute you!  Keep fighting the good fight!

Also, it's been about a year now for me (had to finally cave and buy a new computer, old laptop couldn't run Homecoming after they discontinued Safe Mode), but I did my best to manually nuke or neuter many phone-home operations on my new Win10 OS (and, more deviously, the stealth reviver programs.  Damned microsoft is getting cunning these days).  Took a LOT of effort, and I'm still not 100% sure I've managed to wrangle them all.

Got any other tips, tricks, advice, or links to share on the subject?

• Like 1

OK, you asked for it. This is my Tier 9 nuke of Windows advice!

O&O have two freeware products, O&O Shutup, which neuters the MS telemetry, and O&O Appbuster, which helps you uninstall the bloatware that comes with Windows 10 (Paint 3d, upsell Solitaire, etc). Between those two, I find Windows becomes much more tolerable.

I also use Open Shell, which gives you back a Windows 7-ish start menu, and Winaero Tweaker, which lets you mess with some of the other silly defaults Microsoft chose.

Be careful, though. It's not always obvious what changes will do. For instance, I used to use a custom hosts file which blocked the URLS associated with Windows Telemetry, but they have now set Windows Defender to detect and revert that.

Cunning indeed!

Details here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-10-hosts-file-blocking-telemetry-is-now-flagged-as-a-risk/

(If your router gives you a decent amount of control, you can set such a hostfile there, and Windows can just... deal with it!)

I also run TInywall, a more versatile interface to the built-in firewall (again, reading needed or you will be sad when things break). It lets you block outgoing connections, which the defaults don't. You wind up having to whitelist apps that you want to access yon Internet, but that means apps that sneakily try it are blocked.

I find it worth the hassle, but you may disagree.

Also, out of a surfeit of paranoia, I like to use the free version of Malwarebytes to run a when-I-feel-like-it scan on demand for malware.

(I don't trust Windows Defender. For one thing, they avoided the Leadership pool completely, always a bad sign on a Defender!)

Every time you update (or are forcibly updated), be sure to check your settings, because Windows will decide to change things.

Finally, for extra credit, do you know how many copies of Adobe Flash Player (a notoriously, ridiculously insecure vector of infection) you have installed on Windows 10?

Have a look in C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\ and C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\ and C:\Windows\WinSxS\ and count again!

(And that's if your browser doesn't have a copy!)

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. Bleeping Computer (cited above) is a good site for more detailed advice, and the first place to go if you break something. Remember, my guarantee is, if you take my advice and something breaks, you get to keep all the pieces!

Please be safe out there, and good hunting!

Disclaimer: Doctor Ditko is not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko!

Edited by DoctorDitko
shameless attempt at clarity
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

Delighted to help!

• Thanks 1

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

2 hours ago, FoulVileTerror said:

Technically, the original poster found the problem, but never told us how he/she fixed it.
It is still a mystery. We know what was wrong, but not the solution.
Doctor Ditko has been very helpful however!

• Like 1

I read the post of @ac9999 to mean that their wifi was losing packets, and a direct connection resolved that by completely bypassing the wifi.  What was causing the wifi to lose packets may never be discovered, since there's just so many ways for noise and interference to get all up in them wifis.

And, yes.  You -should- be reading "wifis" the way Lorna Schlitzwhistle says it.

Edited by FoulVileTerror
Correcting the spelling of Schlitzwhistle.
  • Haha 1