Devs fix the lag.

ac9999

• Game Master
4 hours ago, Oubliette_Red said:

I'm not sure where the "spending money" came from.  I wasn't advocating that people try using a VPN to solve their connectivity issues, just that those of us that already use VPNs should look at their points of connection as a possible slow down. 

That’s where I was headed.  Commercial providers are making “VPN” become a bit of a buzzword these days.

No worries.  

• Like 2

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

What I said to the GM helping me:

My Netgraph is reflecting what I've expressed in general/help previously: I am rubberbanding (red bar) every 3-5 seconds. . . . . Large Red blocks occur (in a size of 1-2 secs), I with a relatively stable in-between of low (I-DON'T FULLy UNDERSTAND THE NETGRAPH.).

So that's where I'm at. Ohmybad, It's not the OVH servers-- this occured on Reunion (EU) just now w/ new char.

pls advice

Some things to try:

Update whatever network device driver you're using.

Open the command prompt (windows search for cmd) and then do /ipconfig flushdns

Check your DNS settings under your connection. Google that one cause screenshots will help better than I can explain.

Check the netgraph ingame and see if you have any packet loss. 

Additionally you can run a traceroute to the Homecoming servers but I don't know the ip addresses offhand.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

For anyone interested, here is what my netgraphs looked like both during a bizarre connection: background uploading a video. and then right after: me cancelling it, which is usually: the second half.

The second pic is what I usually deal with. So you can see the semi-stable pattern (during large upload) and the bad pattern I am struggling with.

2020.07.09-23.29.jpg

2020.07.09-23.31_01.jpg

Thank you for the screen captures. Now we're getting somewhere. You have a ~10% bad packet rate during your spikes which indicates a network/signal/latency issue somehere. Are you wired into your router or wireless? 

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

It's been asked before, but bears repeating: have you searched for and applied new updates for your network adapter?

Have you tried resetting the TCP/IP stack?  Instructions here: https://grok.lsu.edu/Article.aspx?articleid=19483

When's the last time you rebooted your modem and/or router? 

You said earlier you have 2 ISPs.  How do you switch between them?  Is there one router with a primary and a failover? If so, what happens if you temporarily disable the failover and/or remove the secondary ISP's connection, or vice/versa?  

If these are separate network connections, have you tested both ISPs at dslreports.com, and if so, what sort of numbers/grades did they throw you? 

How complex is your network?  Is there a switch or multiple switches between your computer and the modem/router?  Have you rebooted these recently, or, had any power outages/surges?  If you can log into the switches, do they have port statistics?  What happens if you eliminate the switches from the equation by running a cable directly from your PC to a LAN port on the modem/router?

Can you log into your modem and/or router and check for updates?

Does your modem/router show a list of connected devices, and if so, do you recognize all of them? 

If you can, remove all other devices from your network and test the game again; if it is better, add one more device back and test again, and continue until you hit the device that is screwing things up.

Edited by roleki
  • Like 1

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!

MORNING UPDATE: (FIXED--) Wireless connection to blame...

I CAN"T BELIEVE IT TOOK ME ALMOST A WEEK (and a re-install) TO REALIZE IT'S THE WIRE-LESS CONNECTION.

See here the netgraph update...

I've only been logged for about 3 minutes now, I'll post a confirmation as soon as I'm -uhm- satisfied?

2020.07.10-10.56.jpg

• Like 3

Kind of figured that was the case. I'm glad you've resolved it. I had a nearby business once with an alarm system that really screwed with my wireless.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Technically, I'm using a wireless connection even when my computer is telling me I'm using an Ethernet connection.

That's because, my phone is being used as an internet hot-spot, whether it's plugged into my computer by a USB or not.

I will say that, normally, I do get an ever so slightly better connection with the phone plugged in though.

1 hour ago, Twisted Toon said:

Technically, I'm using a wireless connection even when my computer is telling me I'm using an Ethernet connection.

That's because, my phone is being used as an internet hot-spot, whether it's plugged into my computer by a USB or not.

I will say that, normally, I do get an ever so slightly better connection with the phone plugged in though.

spacer.png

"Homecoming is not perfect but it is still better than the alternative.. at least so far" - Unknown  (Wise words Unknown!)

Si vis pacem, para bellum

On 7/10/2020 at 1:57 PM, ac9999 said:

MORNING UPDATE: (FIXED--) Wireless connection to blame...

Can you tell us exactly and specifically what you did to fix it?
There may be others that don't even realize things could be better.

Like Dorothy at the beginning of the Wizard of Oz has no idea she is in black and white. It is all she has ever known.
What made the difference?

The tornado, I believe.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Disclaimer: Not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko.

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

22 minutes ago, Vulpoid said:

Can you tell us exactly and specifically what you did to fix it?
There may be others that don't even realize things could be better.

Like Dorothy at the beginning of the Wizard of Oz has no idea she is in black and white. It is all she has ever known.
What made the difference?

For me the fix was always to plug in a network cable. If it was some way to actually fix his wireless connection, I too am curious.

On 7/12/2020 at 10:16 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

For me the fix was always to plug in a network cable. If it was some way to actually fix his wireless connection, I too am curious.

Sometimes it's as simple as rebooting the router.

Another possibility is that the machine is placed in such a way that it's getting sub-optimal reception to the AP.

Usually, if you're within a 2' bubble of the AP or you're located direction over/under the device, you'll have issues.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

• 3 weeks later
  • Game Master

Atlas Park is a laggy area.  It's the start hub for a lot of players.  If entering the neighborhood of Atlas Park IN Atlas Park makes your system slow down, and there's 20-30 folks around Ms. Liberty, it's not just you.  They all probably feel it a bit too.

It also uses the newer client resources like Praetoria and Rogue Isles (which got a revamp too), which tax certain systems.  Even if the zone is empty, if you travel to Mercy Island or First/Night Ward and you experience slow down, that might be a common factor between the three.  Head to an older zone, like King's Row or Cap Au Diable, and if the lag isn't as bad, that could be why.

• Thanks 1

Homecoming: City of Heroes -- Want to play? Start here. - Enjoy helping others? Join us as a GM.

On 7/12/2020 at 11:16 AM, Bill Z Bubba said:

If you go into Control Panel:Network and Internet:Network Connections:

And you select your wifi adapter and choose "Properties" you should see a window that says, "This connection uses the following items."

Below that should be a list of protocols.

If you uncheck everything except "Internet Protocol version 4" and reboot, you may find that your wifi connection works a bit better.

Winders 10 has a LOT of overhead, and unless you actually use things like File & Printer sharing or Client for Microsoft Networks (which you shouldn't unless you need to; they are famously insecure) you should see an improvement.

Also, something like O&O Shutup 10 can help by reducing the amount of spying data marketing monetization telemetry being sent to the MotherShip.

If, on the other hand, you break something: Good news! You get to keep all the pieces!

That said, an ethernet connection is always preferable to a wifi connection.* I strip the protocols off and use a wire. YMMV.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: Doctor Ditko is not a medical doctor. Do not take medical advice from Doctor Ditko!

He does have a doctorate in Internet Arcana and Minutia from Thunderwood College, so you can see how qualified he is to dispense computer advice.

* Yes, ethernet moves at the speed of electrons, and wifi moves at the speed of light, but there is much more overhead for wifi. Protocol translations eat up the advantages and more. Plus, ethernet has better congestion handling.

Doctor Ditko.pdf

Edited by DoctorDitko
credentials
  • Thanks 2

Also, not a physicist. Do not take advice on consensus reality from Doctor Ditko.

But games? He used to pay his bills with games. (He's recovering well, thanks for asking!)

5 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

If you uncheck everything except "Internet Protocol version 4" and reboot, you may find that your wifi connection works a bit better.

This doubled my download speed and did not affect upload speed according to Speedof.me tests.
Thank you!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vulpoid said:

This doubled my download speed and did not affect upload speed according to Speedof.me tests.
Thank you!

Delighted to hear it! You're very welcome!

9 hours ago, DoctorDitko said:

Also, something like O&O Shutup 10 can help by reducing the amount of spying data marketing monetization telemetry being sent to the MotherShip.

I downloaded and ran the O&O Shutup 10 tool.   It significantly sped up my browser load times and reduced the jitter in my network connection.  Looks like something I will add to my arsenal when setting up Win 10.   Thanks for the tip @DoctorDitko!

Edited by Ura Hero
  • Like 1

Glad to help!

Although, I must confess, thwarting Microsoft's plans for world domination is its own reward, I'm glad to assist a fellow hero!

(Little known fact: "Microsoft Pretends Ally" is actually an anagram of "Mender Silos Crafty Plot!"

Coincidence? I think not!)

Edited by DoctorDitko
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1