Rubberbanding issues

From what I can tell, a lot of players are experiencing random 5 to 10 foot rubberbanding issues in game. This is not affecting all players though. However, I am getting reports from many other players who are having this same problem. I work for the internet company and can find nothing on my end that could cause this. Also, I play Planetside 2, a much more graphic heavy game with no issues. Is there something going on here that I am unaware of? Is this a known issue? Any ideas that could help me fix this if it is on my end? Thank you.

Haven't experienced this myself yet-- any idea if it could be zone or region-related and not player specific? IME If no packets are being dropped to/from the server then it would have to be the server(s) running a few ticks behind, but I don't see any indication of the CPU usage getting anywhere near high enough to be of concern on the Server Status page and as you said it doesn't affect every player...

Also has this been happening regularly or is it just a one-off thing so far?

Fak NCSoft, Love Linux

Haven't experienced this myself yet-- any idea if it could be zone or region-related and not player specific? IME If no packets are being dropped to/from the server then it would have to be the server(s) running a few ticks behind, but I don't see any indication of the CPU usage getting anywhere near high enough to be of concern on the Server Status page and as you said it doesn't affect every player...

Also has this been happening regularly or is it just a one-off thing so far?

Today it's not so bad. Only happens about once or twice every 10 to 15 minutes or so. yesterday was bad though, it was happening like once or twice every 1 to 2 minutes.

Yeah, I rubber-band all the time. I wrote it off as my stupidly high ping, though. There's no cable or the like out to my place as the power and phone lines are buried (no poles to easily string stuff off of). So I'm on satellite internet, which means my ping runs around 800ms on average. Until someone gets those extra-low-orbit satellites up, or a company decides to run the missing 2 miles of cable from the closest junction box to my house, I'm kinda stuck with that.

Maybe it's a result of the servers trying to scale with the load? I'd imagine the server software was meant to be run on a (couple) beefy dedicated server box(es) and not on a scalable cloud/VM system like it is now, maybe reallocating the resources causes the server to skip a tick or two. That's the only explanation I can come up with that would explain why a bunch of people across various zones and in different parts of NA would be experiencing lag without dropping packets, overloading servers, or being caused by high latency.

Hopefully as the server software becomes more monolithic and various components are modernized it will be less of an issue, but short of throwing more hardware toward the server (which they already have a ton) there isn't much that can be done for the moment. I know combining and modernizing the server software is a priority for some devs at least, as Leo's current strategy seems to be to make the software as reasonably available to the common "home server operator" so that even if one major server gets shut down another can take its place pretty much instantly, similar to the strategy Pirate Bay has been using the past decade.

The main problem with these efforts, though, is of course the million unforeseen consequences of "modernizing" any component of a complex system such as an MMO. I can see more issues with missions and entities popping up in the next few months while everything gets sorted out.

Of course this should go without say but all of this is purely speculation since I can't see server logs or stats and I am not involved in the development process.

Fak NCSoft, Love Linux

That supports my server-scaling theory then since the servers are not very congested at the moment...

Playing right now, no rubberbanding that I can detect. So I think you are right.

Edit: Scratch that, it is starting now. Rubberbanding randomly.

i had really big problems with ruberbanding bevor the server move but i dont have any problems since the move.

i m on the on Reunion right now but if it helps i try to play on an other shard to see if i run in to a ruber band

back to the Zukunft

@Jkwak