Bring back the Code for the Hit Files...PLEASE!

Solarverse

Out of all the requests I have ever made, this is the request I am most serious about and hope makes it through to the Dev Team. I could really use your support on this one, people.

Before the game was shut down, it would seem after some ruckus on the forums over Fulcrum Shift and many other powers, the Devs decided to just remove the hit codes that activates those files all together. If memory serves me correctly, there was a thread that was made in where a player was getting headaches over those sounds and requested that the sounds be toned down. Some people were okay with this, but requested that this be made an option so that others who enjoyed the sounds would be able to keep them. Sadly, instead of toning them down and giving us an option, the Live Devs just removed the sounds all together. So now when you use Fulcrum Shift or other abilities that used to have an AoE Hit Sound Effect, those powers no longer play a hit file and has become pretty dull and not all that exciting from the caster's point of view. Due to this, I and others like myself have even stopped playing a lot of power sets after the sounds were nerfed on live, and after creating some of those classes here, I just can't get into them the way I could before those sound codes were removed. I know that may seem petty, but I and people like me are HUGE sound buffs, sounds are extremely important to us as well as the graphics, animations, visual effects, the whole nine yards. Sounds are literally 1/4 of the game. Without them, to us, the feeling of the game is not a complete experience.

I tried to bring the sound back on my own by creating a mod that would allow us to hear the sound again on our end only, but...sadly, because the code associated with playing those hit files were completely removed, I have no way to bring those sounds back without the code being in place.

Here is my suggestion...

Bring back the missing or turned off codes that also utilizes the stacking effect, but give the .ogg files that are associated with them unique file names that are specific to the powers they pertain to, but make those files total silence...all I need is the file and the name of the file for each power affected...it does not matter what sound the file has, so they can just make those files silent so that players who would prefer they stay the same will still hear nothing when those files activate. If we can do this, the sounds will stay the same for people who felt it was too much and negatively affected them, and it allows me to manipulate the files and bring back the original Sound Effects in the form of a Mod for those of us who want them back.

It's a win/win for everyone and gives the player the control to have what they want. Players who hated those sounds will still have them the way they currently are, while players who just can't get into playing any of those power sets anymore due to the silenced Hit Effects, can once again have them back in just the same way that we had them before the sounds were nerfed.

So far the list of Hit Effects that I have discovered in which has been removed from the game are as follows...

1. Gravitic Emanation
  2. Healing Aura
  3. Fulcrum Shift
  4. Warmth
  5. Radiant Aura
  6. Nullify Pain

Can we PLEASE get the code reinstated?  Thank you in advanced.

Edited by Solarverse
Edited for clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Vanden said:

Wasn't it just the same sound as Siphon Power, just stacked for every target hit?

Yes, but the game no longer directs it to use that sound. So if they could give it it's own file to refer to, then make that sound silent, I can get it and put the sound back in to it and give it to everyone who wants it. But yes, same sound. The game no longer uses it.

Edited by Solarverse

... you know, several of us have various live editions of COH - initial, bootleg, COH CE, COV CE, GR, Architect... can the file be extracted from those somehow?

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

@Greycat

It's not really the file itself, the file is technically there. It's just that the program that had the Fulcrum Shift access the Blind.ogg file is either A: No longer active and needs to be reactivated or B: has been deleted and new code would need to be written to direct Fulcrum Shift to use the .ogg file as a hit file.

So basically the only way to get the sound back that a lot of us seem to miss, is to either have a Dev, A: Write a new command to use a new .ogg file upon hitting the friendly targets, then make sure it can stack with multiple targets and then make that .ogg file silent; so that it can't be heard by any players unless they chose to use a mod that would be customized by the players (me) to bring back the sound it once had, or B: Have them turn it back on (assuming it has only been turned off and not deleted) and then get it to use a new and different file that is silent and thus again, can be customized by the players.

The technical file was the Blind.ogg file and it does still exist. However, the game no longer accesses that file so the hit function of Fulcrum Shift no longer exists....simply put, there is no hit file for Fulcrum Shift anymore which is why when it hits the friendly targets, it makes literally no sound, it's just pure silence. The only sound you hear now is your character casting the power, but there is no hit sound associated with it ever since they nerfed it back on live.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

So, just restoring the code for the sound effect and adding a blank sound file that the player could replace with the original sound file?  So people who don't want to hear it have to change nothing but people who want it can edit it back in?

That sounds like a good request that wouldn't take too long at all!  Poke one of the devs, shouldn't be too hard to slip that into the next patch on Beta so it can be hammered a few times to make sure it doesn't suddenly make everyone's faces spawn upside-down or whatever

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ABlueThingy said:

So, just restoring the code for the sound effect and adding a blank sound file that the player could replace with the original sound file?  So people who don't want to hear it have to change nothing but people who want it can edit it back in?

That sounds like a good request that wouldn't take too long at all!  Poke one of the devs, shouldn't be too hard to slip that into the next patch on Beta so it can be hammered a few times to make sure it doesn't suddenly make everyone's faces spawn upside-down or whatever

You sure did explain it a lot more elegantly than I did, thank you, lol.

Edited by Solarverse
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Solarverse said:
8 hours ago, ABlueThingy said:

You sure did explain it a lot more elegantly than I did, thank you, lol.

Please do this yes! I am in full support. Would the Dev team please be willing to look at this?

HEY DEVS!!!

Can you recreate- restore the ORIGINAL fulcrum shift sound? IT WAS AWESOME!!!! It was a multi-hit sounds that sounded like you were ripping the damage potential right out of the enemy!!!!

The one that Sounded like Siphon Power on Steroids?  It sounded awesome.!!

It seems like the old FS sound was just the sound from siphon power with multiple responses. BUT WE NO CAN RECREATE IT!!!!

Even Solarverse is met with woe!!!

CAN YOU RESTORE IT!? WILL YOU RESTORE IT? PLEASE RESTORE IT!!!! WHY??

The Old generation may remember how awesome it was, but the NEW GENERATION of the may Kins that run around have NEVER HEARD IT!!!!

Imagine NEVER seeing the color blue or hearing a song!!!

Why deprive those people?

Can it be restored/worked around/placed as an optional file download?

CAN YOU DO IT? LET'S DO IT!!!

DOOO EEEEIIITT!!! GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Captain Yesterday said:

HEY DEVS!!!

Can you recreate- restore the ORIGINAL fulcrum shift sound? IT WAS AWESOME!!!! It was a multi-hit sounds that sounded like you were ripping the damage potential right out of the enemy!!!!

The one that Sounded like Siphon Power on Steroids?  It sounded awesome.!!

It seems like the old FS sound was just the sound from siphon power with multiple responses. BUT WE NO CAN RECREATE IT!!!!

Even Solarverse is met with woe!!!

CAN YOU RESTORE IT!? WILL YOU RESTORE IT? PLEASE RESTORE IT!!!! WHY??

The Old generation may remember how awesome it was, but the NEW GENERATION of the may Kins that run around have NEVER HEARD IT!!!!

Imagine NEVER seeing the color blue or hearing a song!!!

Why deprive those people?

Can it be restored/worked around/placed as an optional file download?

CAN YOU DO IT? LET'S DO IT!!!

DOOO EEEEIIITT!!! GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!!

Translation: He calmly requests we have a way to add back the original sound.  😄

I can agree with the idea that every power should have a cast sound/hit sound associated, even if that sound is nothing, just so people  who want to mess with the sounds have something to work with.

I'd be terrible for immersion and would get dull eventually, but I think every power having a different inflection of "d'oh" would be hilarious.

• Haha 1

I'm all in on this request! 

I have several of Solarverse's sound mods installed and he does fantastic stuff!  I used to quit teams rather than be with a Beam Rifle toon.  Now that I have his sound mod installed, I've rolled up my own!

While you're at it, please ensure every power has the associated coding to a silent file.  This would allow people like Solarverse to get creative with our game.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later

It looks like we can add Warmth, Healing Aura and Nullify Pain to that list as well.

I have to say, not having those sounds as an option (that used to be in game) is just really depressing. For me, it really steals from the pleasure of playing almost all healing classes. This is my 4th attempt at rolling a Healer and the 4th time I just can't do it due to the sounds being gone. Those sounds were a big part of what made those classes fun to play. 😞

Edited by Solarverse

• 7 months later

So back before the bouncing rubber ball thing started happening to Gravity's Propel, there used to be an explosion sound that was made when the object literally exploded as it hit the target. That sound was changed at some point although I am not sure why. Does anyone have a video that has the original sound of Propel hitting the target? It would have to be an old video, I know...and I am sure it's a long shot, but...it gives me an excuse to revive the thread instead of making a new thread about game sounds, so...there is that too.