Defender Help

cgilm2526

Hi All,

I am trying to solo level my empathy healer and its not going well. I am currently at level 40. It seems when I try to complete missions, I either die quickly or it takes me forever to kill 1 mob. I have even set my missions to -1, 1 and it doesn’t seem to help. Am I just stuck at leveling with groups or can I actually solo level? Below is my build.

image.png.5f528ec256d1c8c8e6857b23b2458806.png

image.png.e6da09dabafcb88bced5ea188edbf4ed.png

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.1.25
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Bearrepair Jr: Level 49 Science Defender
Primary Power Set: Empathy
Secondary Power Set: Energy Blast
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Concealment
Ancillary Pool: Power Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Healing Aura -- Heal(A), Heal(3), Heal(3), EndRdx(5), EndRdx(5), EndRdx(7)
Level 1: Power Bolt -- Dmg(A), Dmg(7), Dmg(37)
Level 2: Heal Other -- Heal(A), Heal(9), Heal(9), RechRdx(11), RechRdx(11), Range(13)
Level 4: Super Jump -- Jump(A)
Level 6: Resurrect -- Range(A)
Level 8: Absorb Pain -- Heal(A), Heal(13), Heal(15), Range(15), RechRdx(17), RechRdx(17)
Level 10: Clear Mind -- Range(A)
Level 12: Fortitude -- ToHit(A), ToHit(19), ToHit(19), DefBuff(21), DefBuff(21), DefBuff(23)
Level 14: Energy Torrent -- Range(A), Range(23)
Level 16: Power Blast -- Acc(A), Dmg(25), Dmg(25)
Level 18: Grant Invisibility -- RechRdx(A)
Level 20: Invisibility -- DefBuff(A)
Level 22: Recovery Aura -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(27), RechRdx(27), EndRdx(29), EndRdx(29), EndRdx(31)
Level 24: Power Burst -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(31)
Level 26: Sniper Blast -- Range(A), Range(31)
Level 28: Regeneration Aura -- Heal(A), Heal(33), Heal(33), EndRdx(33), EndRdx(34), EndRdx(34)
Level 30: Aim -- ToHit(A), ToHit(34)
Level 32: Adrenalin Boost -- Heal(A), Heal(36), Heal(36), RechRdx(36), RechRdx(37), RechRdx(37)
Level 35: Conserve Power -- RechRdx(A), RechRdx(40)
Level 38: Nova -- Dmg(A), Dmg(39), Dmg(39), Acc(39)
Level 41: [Empty]
Level 44: [Empty]
Level 47: [Empty]
Level 49: [Empty]
Level 1: Brawl -- Dmg(A)
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Run(A)
Level 1: Vigilance
Level 2: Rest -- Heal(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 2: Swift -- Flight(A)
Level 2: Health -- Heal(A), Heal(40)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Jump(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- EndMod(A), EndMod(40)
------------

Well a lot of your empathy powers work only on others, so arent so great for you solo.  You will get 30% dmg boost as a Defender while soloing, however.  I notice you havent taken Explosive Blast.  That will help you. Explosive Blast is HIGH damage power that is TAoE, and will be readily available, as it's base recharge is 16 seconds.  The Fighting Pool, with Tough and Weave will help you a lot, as smash/lethal is pretty common among enemy groups.    You'll have to use your energy powers to best effect to keep enemies flying around with the Knockback.  You can change this to Knockdown with the Overwhelming Force or Sudden Acceleration knockback to knockdown IO.  For more Oomph, try slotting some of your offensive or area attacks with Procs that have a chance of doing additional damage.  Power burst isnt slotted for damage at all.  Neither is sniper blast.  If you want to kill things...you'll have to move some slots from your Empathy powers etc to your offensive powers.  

The higher you can get your defence, the less enemies will hit you, which will keep you alive.  Slot your damaging attacks with whatever you can that allows you to kill enemies quickly.  Your offensive attacks are currently slotted with 3x dmg, or 1 acc, 2dmg etc.  Throw some procs in there, amd maybe even some recharge reductions on some of your longer recharging powers to get them up more often.  You shouldnt have too much issue with Endurance thanks to Recovery Aura, etc.  

Don't forget about Inspirations.  They drop frequently, and are meant to be used.  Just about to fight a boss- pop a purple, red, yellow, orange etc...to give you an edge.  Even outright buy the medium and large ones from the auction house etc to give you the most bang for your inspiration slots.  

Leadership powers are a good choice for a defender.  Anything that increases your damage, defence, etc is going to increase your chances of survival.

What budget are you looking at?  Do you intend to use IO's? IO sets? Are you waiting until level 50+ to work on sets or is this to be an SO only build?   Is the goal to solo well or just to be able to when teaming isn't an option?  What kills you when you die fast?  Often especially as you move into the late 30s and into 40+ the mez goes from bad to worse and you burn through breakfrees faster than you get them (even if making them by conversion).

I'd definitely be shifting some slots away from the Primary and into the Secondary.  And very much so if you intend or find yourself solo frequently and/or aren't going to use set IO's.  If you don't want to respec I'd strongly consider using your second build to build a more solo-friendly build. 

While running with SOs I'd stick to 3 slots in your HA/HO,  all Heal.  Until or if you have pets a dedicated  solo build should skip HO.  I'd seriously consider not taking Absorb Pain and again if you do use 3 Heals (and definitely drop in a solo build) 

1 Endred in Resurrect (skip solo).

Fortitude - I'd skip buffing To Hit and grab Tactics from Leadership (and Assault).  Until blasts are well slotted I'd skip any other enhancements, you need those slots in your blasts

Get Hasten, 3 recharge asap.  Best help on cool down of Auras in an SO build.  

Auras (both) 3 recharge, add 3 Heal to RegenAura when you can.

Adrenaline Boost, can skip if dedicated solo, otherwise 3 recharge then when able and Heal to taste.

For your Blasts I'd want at least 4 slots --> 1 Accuracy, 3 Damage, a second Accuracy if no Tactics (5 slots), Endred optional ... Recovery Aura should more than handle the load.  Just use caution and blue inspires when down.  I liked to use the accolade powers of Archmage and Geas of the Kind Ones when solo.  Very handy when running SOs and find your Auras are down and you're still in combat for whatever reason (ambushes, or over extended etc.)

Power Mastery --> There are 3 powers here to chase.  First is Power Build Up, PBU will do crazy good stuff to your buffs and heals in an SO build.  Temporary Invulnerability is solid S/L resistance and Force of Nature offers strong resistances coupled with some +Recovery.  It does have a crash so take care there.  

I haven't much experience with the Sorcery pool owing to life keeping me out of game but it's worth looking at for its powers including Rune of Protection.

Once IOs get into the mix a lot of this advice will leave the mix for IO pastures.

Edited by Doomguide2005
Added comments on Power Mastery