Origin Tip Missions & Origin Changing.

So! It's probably come up a few times before about doing more with origins in-game, including specific mission content or different player experiences depending on origin. Right now, there isn't a lot of use for origin in game besides a handful of low level missions and deciding what contacts are open to you, as well as deciding where to by DOs and SOs.

I figured we could introduce something similar to the Alignment System, where players can pick up certain tip missions that are based on their origin. Like the alignment system, you can decide how to advance your character's story, deciding what direction they go in. Origin tip missions will prompt you to choose whether you wish to pursue the mission to affirm your current origin, or if you would like to split into having a dual origin. 

Much like Alignment missions, completing a set number of them will progress you towards your desired origin, and unlock specific rewards. Now, since there are 5 origins and not just 2, that means there will be a lot more branching between them, so instead of having two middle-ground branches like Rogue and Vigilante, your dual origin will be the same regardless of what your primary origin is (natural + tech will be the same as tech + natural).

Here is a list of proposed 'dual origins' that players will be able to advance into, along with the special self-affecting powers that each would unlock:

PREREQUISITES NEW ORIGIN ORIGIN POWER
Natural - Peak Fitness (+Recovery, +Damage)
Tech - Upgrade (+Defense, +Recharge)
Science - Molecular Bonding (+Regeneration, +ToHit)
Mutation - Strangeness (+Resistance, +Speed)
Magic - Arcane Conduit (+Accuracy, +Special)
Natural/Tech Gadgets Special Payload (+Damage, +Recharge)
Natural/Science Research Experimental Serum (+Recovery, +Regeneration)
Natural/Mutation Abnormality Savant (+Recovery, +Speed)
Natural/Magic Enchantment Rune of Power (+Damage, +Special)
Tech/Science Genius Brainstorm (+Recharge, +ToHit)
Tech/Mutation Nanotech Nanite Surge (+Defense, +Resistance)
Tech/Magic Artifice Animate Forces (+Defense, +Accuracy)
Science/Mutation Genetics Adaptive Genes (+ToHit, +Speed)
Science/Magic Alchemy Magic Potion (+Regeneration, +Special)
Mutation/Magic Curse Devolution  (+Resistance, +Accuracy)

Just like alignments, when you progress into a dual-origin, you will also then be able to move over to a completely new origin (eg. Natural > Gadgets > Tech). Once you have moved from one origin to another, or have selected a new origin, you will still retain all of your slotted DOs/SOs, but you will not be able to equip new ones that do not fit your origin (or origins). You will retain any active contacts, but any future contacts you are refereed to will instead be those that suit your new origin.

In addition to this, new dual origin enhancements could be produced in order to encompass all the different possibilities instead of a select few, which will likely require more art assets to accomplish, but would likely be supplemental to this concept, and not a core addition.

Edited by Tyrannical
  • Like 4

Origins are baked too deeply into character creation that they cannot be changed. They're one of four things (the others being AT, primary and secondary) that can't be changed.

Also, while I wouldn't mind more tip missions, and some origin-related arcs and such, I honestly don't think I'd want "bonuses" for origins. Finding a way to mix them? Sure. Bonuses? I'd rather have them fit the character thematically, not be a "I am going to need +acc" or whatever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

1 hour ago, Greycat said:

Origins are baked too deeply into character creation that they cannot be changed. They're one of four things (the others being AT, primary and secondary) that can't be changed.

Also, while I wouldn't mind more tip missions, and some origin-related arcs and such, I honestly don't think I'd want "bonuses" for origins. Finding a way to mix them? Sure. Bonuses? I'd rather have them fit the character thematically, not be a "I am going to need +acc" or whatever.

Perhaps it could stay as your 'base origin' and this could place a thematic character advancement system over it? maybe instead of origin it could be called 'power source' and would act independently of your origin. However, doing tip missions based on your current origin would simply reaffirm that origin is indeed your current power source.

As for the bonuses? I feel like there would have to be incentive to use the system other than just thematics. There would certainly be badges involved, but I don't think that's enough, and since alignments grant you powers I opted to go down that route.

Maybe instead of self-buffs, they could instead be useful attack powers with long recharge? somewhere between the effectiveness of an accolade power and a temp power.

Edited by Tyrannical

8 minutes ago, Tyrannical said:

As for the bonuses? I feel like there would have to be incentive to use the system other than just thematics. 
Maybe instead of self-buffs, they could instead be useful attack powers with long recharge? somewhere between the effectiveness of an accolade power and a temp power.

I'm fine with an incentive to use the system. 

I don't want "I'm Super Reflexes, so clearly the only good choice is Tech for +Defense and +Recharge, everything else is crap."

I like the idea of doing X many tip missions and then having a reward bonus for it on a special 11th mission, not unlike alignment powers.

But if you're directly boosting combat stats, try to avoid certain origins only providing X benefit. 

Esp when the rationale is vague at best.  Why is it Tech that provides +Def/+Rchg?  Why not Mutation/Magic?

My opposition vanishes if we can eliminate making some origins the "Best" origins from a min-max perspective.

Edited by MTeague
grammar
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MTeague said:

I'm fine with an incentive to use the system. 

I don't want "I'm Super Reflexes, so clearly the only good choice is Tech for +Defense and +Recharge, everything else is crap."

I like the idea of doing X many tip missions and then having a reward bonus for it on a special 11th mission, not unlike alignment powers.

But if you're directly boosting combat stats, try to avoid certain origins only providing X benefit. 

Esp when the rationale is vague at best.  Why is it Tech that provides +Def/+Rchg?  Why not Mutation/Magic?

My opposition vanishes if we can eliminate making some origins the "Best" origins from a min-max perspective.

Fair point, I suppose thematic attack powers not unlike the starting origin powers could be worth looking into! After all, all ATs do damage.