Let people auction base items/designs

YIP

Not sure what the tech would be for this, it would be great if:

1) people could "monetize" their excellent base design work

2) inf sink for the hero that has everything

3) incredibly time intensive processes (such as the tile by tile construction of houses and stairwells) could be simplified by saving item groups as single transferable items.

Keep in mind, I don't see anyway you could "trademark" any portion of this.

What one player creates can always be replicated by another player, or even truly 100% independant development of the same finished product.

So, no "trademarking" of any kind, not even as a colloqial-use-term, never mind actual legal term.

I don't think bases "remember" which actual player created them. 

So the only way I think you could commission / buy a template from somoene else is, agree on the work to be done, invite their character to your guild. 

Promote them to a rank with base editing priviliges, then let them go wild.

Remove them from guild upon completion of task. 

But if that artist who made your base has any ability to "Snapshot" any portion of a base to then "Apply Template"?  

Then so would YOU, the person who commissioned that work.  Because the game won't really remember that it was so-and-so's template for any portion of the the base.

And then you very very very rapidly lose any abilitty to monetize once the first person starts just handing it out to their buddies for free, or worse, tries to sell copies of it to someone else passing it off as their own work. 

I think any such Freelance Base Builders are best off to handle things on a "one off" basis, no Take Snapshot, no Apply Template.

6 minutes ago, MTeague said:

Keep in mind, I don't see anyway you could "trademark" any portion of this.

What one player creates can always be replicated by another player, or even truly 100% independant development of the same finished product.

So, no "trademarking" of any kind, not even as a colloqial-use-term, never mind actual legal term.

I don't think bases "remember" which actual player created them. 

So the only way I think you could commission / buy a template from somoene else is, agree on the work to be done, invite their character to your guild. 

Promote them to a rank with base editing priviliges, then let them go wild.

Remove them from guild upon completion of task. 

But if that artist who made your base has any ability to "Snapshot" any portion of a base to then "Apply Template"?  

Then so would YOU, the person who commissioned that work.  Because the game won't really remember that it was so-and-so's template for any portion of the the base.

And then you very very very rapidly lose any abilitty to monetize once the first person starts just handing it out to their buddies for free, or worse, tries to sell copies of it to someone else passing it off as their own work. 

I think any such Freelance Base Builders are best off to handle things on a "one off" basis, no Take Snapshot, no Apply Template.

While you are correct there will be those selling templates that someone else made, keep in mind that joining a group to build a base is not always feasible.  More intricate bases can literally take several months to build and I have heard stories of builders getting booted from a group before being fully compensated.

As a builder myself, I would not mind being able to auction a template/shell of a base design and layout where someone fills in the details.  I would also be curious if certain mission maps that already exist could be converted into base templates.  I agree with @Yip this might be a great influence sink and could go a long way toward getting some people started with their bases. 

• Like 1

Just now, ShardWarrior said:

As a builder myself, I would not mind being able to auction a template/shell of a base design and layout where someone fills in the details. 

I guess that's where the rubber meets the road for me then. 

I've played around with base building enough to know I'm not good add it, or perhaps more accurately, won't spend the time to go wild with it, and really learn how.

As long as those who DO build bases (and I've certainly seen you post in that subforum enough....) are willing to accept such risk of copycats, then I withdraw any objections.

Also, really?  people are jerks enough to kick somone and then refuse to pay them for their work? 

That's just.... man. How low does one go?

Ive joked with my base building bro on a few occasions that he could like net a few hundred bil for his base work. Even some of his early more unpolished designs are really quite amazing, and his more recent are just art work with the system.

Also there is a game, now FTP on Steam called Planet Explorer, fun little sci fi game actually, but it used a micro voxel system to allow for amazing creations, and one could put the designs up online for others to DL and use. Frankly I am more a action gamer then builder in such games so always made use of the great designs of those who enjoyed that aspect. So its not really odd to want some kind of share system for designs imo.

However I do think it would undermine the current base selling trend which does exist. I do know a few who have straight up paid others to make their pretty epic bases. Lucky for me I just have one hell of a devoted servant.