Where to put Decimation: Chance for Build Up?

pearbear

I've seen different builds that put it in either Aim, single target abilities, and the nuke. Can someone please explain the advantages and disadvantages of these different slottings? Trying to figure out which option is right for me. Thanks much!

Edited by pearbear

It's not possible to slot it in Aim or Nukes. Decimation is a ST-only proc.

Decimation has a PPM of 1; so the ST attack needs a base recharge of ~90s in order for it to reliably fire. Blasters don't have anything like this. The closest they have are the 32s recharge ST attacks from the villain patron pools (Soul Storm, Electric Shackles, Spirit Shark Jaws). They would be the best place to slot it, as it has a ~50% chance of firing.

Macskull put together a good spreadsheet to help you figure out where to place procs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vd4ZZd1jfhOzdZZkGxC9O0NN5G0T1EdWPu_XRrV6s0U/edit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

34 minutes ago, Xanatos said:

Decimation has a PPM of 1; so the ST attack needs a base recharge of ~90s in order for it to reliably fire. Blasters don't have anything like this. The closest they have are the 32s recharge ST attacks from the villain patron pools (Soul Storm, Electric Shackles, Spirit Shark Jaws). They would be the best place to slot it, as it has a ~50% chance of firing.

Macskull put together a good spreadsheet to help you figure out where to place procs:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1vd4ZZd1jfhOzdZZkGxC9O0NN5G0T1EdWPu_XRrV6s0U/edit

I'm sorry I think I got the 2 Build Up Procs confused. I'm new to blasters too.

Basically I want to know which abilities I should put these in. 😕 Seems like it's not really for blasters then! Thanks!

Edited by pearbear

1 hour ago, Xanatos said:

Also it sounds like you understand the procs well - can I please ask a few follow up questions? 😄

1. For Ranged Damage, I have Charged Bolts and Lightning Bolt: which one should get the Apocalypse proc and which one should get the Gladiator's Javelin proc?

2. For AoE Damage, I have Ball Lightning, Thunderous Blast, and Static Discharge: which one should get Superior Blaster's Wrath proc, which one should get Positron's Blast proc, and which one should get Javelin Volley proc?

All this proc stuff is confusing.

Edited by pearbear

@pearbear

No worries! And yeah, Decimation isn't really worth it IMO. You can throw it on a power if you're 5-slotting Decimation for the set bonuses, but that's the only time you'd use it IMO.

Good thing is that you don't have to limit procs to one per power. You can put multiple ones in the same power! (I.e. you can put both Apocalypse and Gladiator's Javelin in the same power!)

Here's how I'd suggest slotting:

Aim - Gaussian's Proc, plus 1 recharge IO +5'd

Charged Bolts - 5 slots of something for bonuses, 1 Gladiator's Javelin proc

Lightning Bolts - All of Apocalypse set except for the Damage IO +5'd , 1 gladiator's javelin proc

Ball Lightning - 5 slots of something for bonuses, 1  Positron's Blast proc

Thunderous Blast - 5 slots of something for bonuses (usually Ragnarok), 1  Positron's Blast proc

Zapp - Superior Blaster's Wrath Proc, Manticore Proc, Gladiator's Javellin Proc, Acc/Dam Hami O, 2x dam/range Hami O

Note: Where I've said "5 slot of something for bonuses", one of those slots can be a proc. So for Ball Lightning (for example) you could slot 5 pieces of the "Bombardment" set, have one of those 5 slots be the Bombardment proc.

Edited by Xanatos
  • Like 2

City of Heroes Class of 2001.

21 hours ago, Xanatos said:

Note: Where I've said "5 slot of something for bonuses", one of those slots can be a proc.

This. A good example is a hold; five-slotting it with Lockdown, including the +2 Mag proc, makes it much more effective than five-slotting it without the proc. Seeing the electric ball when the proc goes off tells you that you've got extra time to drop that target.

7 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

This. A good example is a hold; five-slotting it with Lockdown, including the +2 Mag proc, makes it much more effective than five-slotting it without the proc. Seeing the electric ball when the proc goes off tells you that you've got extra time to drop that target.

Why would it give you extra time? It doesn't increase the duration of the hold, as far as I can remember, only its magnitude. Or has that changed?

Bopper: "resistance resists resistible resistance debuffs"

2 minutes ago, srmalloy said:

You don't need a second application to lock down bosses, which is what I typically use the single-target holds for, figuring that if I can sideline them as fast as possible, my team will be able to clear a spawn faster.

Ah right, you meant against specific targets, not in general.

I believe, though it has been a long time (years), that the mag does matter for duration.  But I really need to be able to check in game so take the following with salt.  Essentially the Hold wears off over time by the mag decaying.  Eventually the mag falls below the amount needed to mez the target and the mez is no longer effective.

7 hours ago, Doomguide2005 said:

I believe, though it has been a long time (years), that the mag does matter for duration.  But I really need to be able to check in game so take the following with salt.  Essentially the Hold wears off over time by the mag decaying.  Eventually the mag falls below the amount needed to mez the target and the mez is no longer effective.

I'm pretty certain that is not how it works. You get a mag duration for the length of the power. What you do get, with controllers for example, is chance for a separate hold with its own mag and duration, which will run out before the normal version would. So you get a chance to hold bosses with 1 hit, but it won't lst as long.

Since I've a dead computer I've been looking at the old Live forums and I can't find anything yet like I recall.  Starting to wonder if my old brain was thinking how things were based off the individual durations when stacked.  That is, for example, you've got 2 mag 3 mez each lasting 10 seconds but applied 4 seconds apart. So for about 6 seconds you have 6 mag then the first 3 mag wears off and your left with 3 mag for 6 more seconds.  And then 0 after that.  Then toss in resistance to mez, purple patch etc.. which effect the actual mag duration.

And that matches what your saying.