Suppressing VFX out of combat

lhsabre

I find that a lot of the time I will end up choosing powersets based on aesthetics just as much as their strengths, and I tend to choose sets that don't obfuscate my character's costumes when they're on. While there are definitely enough sets that don't have wild VFX or have Minimal FX options, there are plenty others where the powers can be coloured but not removed. Now, I don't necessarily want every set to have a Minimal FX option, what I would love to see are Combat Only VFX, much like how they're done with auras. That way we don't have to detoggle a bunch of powers just to look at our characters, and remember to power everything back on once we hit the mission. And if we wanted to "power up" in a social encounter, it's as simple as entering a combat state.

I don't know just how much work it would take to enable this, but at least the possibility seems to exist, considering how many auras have exactly this ability. I'd love to love sets like Dark, Fire, Ice, Radiation, etc. Armor sets, or others like Sonic with its big radio wave bubble only having active FX in combat. Also, obviously being a cosmetic option, having them Combat Only or "Normal" can be as simple as a costume change, which allows for some creative options, too.

If the suggestion's already been made or already shot down, let me know, but it would be something that would get some people like me to try out sets that they don't necessarily aesthetically enjoy.

I have a suspicion that this could be *really* obnoxious at times, but other than that, not against more options.

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

Sorry. Let me get this straight... 

You'd rather have a handful of volunteers who are already taking care of a buttload of details to tinker with god knows how many lines of code just so you don't have to click 4 or 5 toggle buttons?

If you click P or open the Powers window, you'll find Walk (near sprint and power slide). Putting that in a tray and clicking it will turn off all of your toggles. All you have to do is toggle them back on before you go into combat. That's half the button clicking done for you.

1 hour ago, Six Six said:

You'd rather have a handful of volunteers who are already taking care of a buttload of details to tinker with god knows how many lines of code just so you don't have to click 4 or 5 toggle buttons?

So what?

They also asked us to design a powerset. Which is likely even more work. Others (including me) have asked for new zones, new story arcs, new archetypes. At least this suggestion is taking an existing tech (combat auras) and applying it to the *visuals for* other powers.

As far as requests go? This one's probably in the lower half of "how much work it would take."

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I have to admit. After a good night's sleep, my comment does come off rather scathing. I feel the same way about Stalker Hide. The reason I don't play stalkers so much regardless of how powerful or attractive the AT may be is because I can't see my character when I play. For every other AT, I can remedy it, and I do. 

But while I apologise for the snide manner or tone, I do not for the intent. the point I was trying to make is that developing new zones and power sets, and archetypes is beyond the user's power to achieve, but turning visuals off is not. It's simply clicking on a few toggles. It's like asking a Porsche or Jaguar engineer to please adjust your seat for you. You're right, it doesn't take much work, but it's also a little bit amount of work that you and I can do.

Except it isn't.  You're talking disabling powers. They're talking suppressing vfx. And as mentioned, the tech is already in game, they aren't asking for something created from scratch. So it's  less asking the engineer to adjust your seat, and more saying "you know what would be handy? Having a cup holder for the passenger too."