Mind Control - Kinetics build

Lumin

Hey folks,

I'm trying my hand at a Mind Control/Kinetics Controller and advice is appreciated.  I think the biggest room for improvement is proper slotting.  Thoughts?

Primary Power Set: Mind Control

Secondary Power Set: Kinetics

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Speed

Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:

------------

Level 1: Levitate Acc(A), Dmg(5), Acc(11), Dmg(40), Dmg(42)

Level 1: Transfusion Acc(A), Acc(3), RechRdx(7), EndMod(9), Heal(43)

Level 2: Dominate Acc(A), Hold(3), Acc(7), Hold(31)

Level 4: Siphon Power Acc(A), RechRdx(5)

Level 6: Confuse Acc(A), Conf(9), Acc(15), Conf(31)

Level 8: Fly Flight(A), Flight(17)

Level 10: Siphon Speed Acc(A), RechRdx(11), Acc(13), RechRdx(13)

Level 12: Mass Hypnosis Acc(A), Sleep(23), Acc(23)

Level 14: Hasten RechRdx(A), RechRdx(15)

Level 16: Increase Density ResDam(A), ResDam(17), RechRdx(37)

Level 18: Total Domination Acc(A), Hold(19), Acc(19), RechRdx(21), Acc(21)

Level 20: Super Speed Run(A)

Level 22: Speed Boost EndMod(A), RechRdx(29), EndMod(34)

Level 24: Telekinesis EndRdx(A), EndRdx(25), EndRdx(25)

Level 26: Terrify Acc(A), Fear(27), Acc(27), Fear(40), RechRdx(46)

Level 28: Inertial Reduction Jump(A), Jump(29)

Level 30: Burnout RechRdx(A), RechRdx(31)

Level 32: Mass Confusion Acc(A), Conf(33), Acc(33), RechRdx(33), Acc(34), Conf(34)

Level 35: Transference Acc(A), RechRdx(36), Acc(36), EndMod(36), EndMod(37), Acc(37)

Level 38: Fulcrum Shift Acc(A), RechRdx(39), Acc(39), RechRdx(39), Range(40)

Level 41: Mental Blast Acc(A), Dmg(42), Acc(42), Dmg(43), Dmg(43)

Level 44: Indomitable Will RechRdx(A), DefBuff(45), RechRdx(45), DefBuff(45), RechRdx(46), DefBuff(46)

Level 47: Mind Over Body RechRdx(A), ResDam(48), RechRdx(48), ResDam(48)

Level 49: World of Confusion Acc(A), Conf(50), Acc(50), RechRdx(50)

Level 1: Brawl Empty(A)

Level 1: Containment

Level 1: Prestige Power Dash Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Slide Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Quick Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Rush Empty(A)

Level 1: Prestige Power Surge Empty(A)

Level 1: Sprint Empty(A)

Level 2: Rest Empty(A)

Level 4: Ninja Run

Level 2: Swift Empty(A)

Level 2: Health Empty(A)

Level 2: Hurdle Empty(A)

Level 2: Stamina Empty(A)

------------

I played a Mind/Kin to 50+ on live and here, so, I consider myself an expert =) After quickly perusing, I'll say that you seem to want a lot of travel options, and that you're only slotting for control. These are both mistakes, in my opinion. You also seem to be going for a team-oriented build, but you're not quite there.

The following is slotting advice based on your chosen powers, and is assuming you're not interested in sets or procs or anything fancy.

Until you get Transference (Dunno if you're already level 50 or not), you'll want End Reducers in Levitate and Dominate. Hasten and Siphon speed will give you an "always up" attack chain, and those  powers, especially Dominate, carry hefty endurance costs. Granted, you're not running much in the way of toggles, and you don't have Mesmerize, so it might not be an issue.

Overall, I don't agree with slotting for full control on Dominate and Terrify. Yes, you're a /kin and can boost your damage, but even if you get a full 16 targets with Fulcrum shift, you'll still only be doing half your potential damage. If you ever solo, it will. Be. So.

Slow.

Mind Controllers play a lot like Blasters, just with a lot more safety and half the damage. Slotting strictly for control on your attack powers is a bit wasteful (Though 1 hold enhancer in Dominate is pretty smart, since it's duration isn't all that impressive) and you're not going to have fun. However, if you plan on exclusively teaming and focusing on your Kin powers, then this idea holds a lot less weight.

Mass Hypnosis might benefit from a Recharge Redux so that it's up every fight.

Speed Boost doesn't benefit too much from 3 End Mods. I usually do 1, especially at level 50. The slots are better used elsewhere. Same deal with Increase Density, just one Dam Resist is fine. No need for recharge, it's usually up pretty quick and affects everyone else on your team within like 30 feet.

Total Domination and Mass Comedy Confusion should be 6-slotted: 2 control, 2 Acc, 2 Recharge. MC can get away with 1 Confuse to add an End Redux if you find that 26 Endurance is too much to pay.

Range in Fulcrum shift is wasted. You only get the full benefit of the power if you're in melee range of your foes, and with your AoE controls, getting into melee shouldn't pose any issues.

[EDIT] WOAH, and put a Heal in Health and a End Mod in Stamina! 3-slot Stamina for End Mod if you can afford the slots. Wow, don't know how I missed THAT on first viewing!

Now, I'm going to switch gears and make some power choice suggestions.

Pick up Mesmerize. It fills out your attack chain, and is one of the few things that can completely shut down most AV's in one hit. Very useful for multi Boss or AV fights to keep one at bay (...unless a teammate insists on AoEing everything, which happens *sigh*)

Take Hover instead of Fly. You already have your travel needs met with Inertial Reduction, Siphon Speed and Super Speed. Flight doesn't give much in the way of mid-air control (for instance, if you strife mid-air using A or D, and then let go, or even try to change direction, your character will coast for a second or two, making exact positioning difficult), and it costs a LOT of endurance. Hover costs very little Endurance, gives you complete maneuverability, adds a defense buff, and can be made a lot faster if you use Siphon Speed. If you plan on flying around during a fight, Hover is the better option 95% of the time.

If, however, Fly is something you really really want, then drop the super speed set (except for Hasten, keep that!) to make room. Or at least drop IR. You do NOT need 3 travel options! (Keep IR if you want to keep Super Speed, to help navigate vertical terrain. Otherwise Fly does it all better and more safely, but it's slow; Afterburner helps with that a little bit.)

If you want to help out your team, I'd take at least one Leadership power (Assault or Maneuvers. Then, if you can fit it in, Tactics), and possibly Recall Friend if you insist on getting to a mission door or final boss before everyone else with your Super Speed (assuming you keep that power, otherwise ignore this last suggestion).

Finally, World of Confusion. I personally hate this power, but I couldn't tell you why. It dictates that you be in melee of a group of foes, which MOST of the time is a bad idea for a controller... but you're a Mind/Kin, and melee is actually where you shine. BUT... you already HAVE 2 Confuse powers, including an AoE. And you're sorely lacking damage... so I'm gonna say go Psinado (Psionic Tornado) and 6-slot it for Acc/Dam/Recharge. If, however, you insist on being the utility player by confusing ALL THE THINGS, just realize that Mass Confusion won't always be available to stack effectiveness with this power, confusing all the things all the time isn't an option, anyway.

I wrote  mind/kin guide that I'm in the process of updating. Stay tuned for that, I guess, but in the meanwhile, it should still be up on webarchive. There was a link around here somewhere to the old Guide to Guides that had an old link to it, but I can't find that right now.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback, EmperorSteele.  I've taken a lot of the advice and am working on another run of the build. My play-style is definitely utility and almost always as part of a duo, rarely solo. I'm the type of player that goes more with "does it match the concept and let me have fun".  :-)

I've 2 slotted Stamina (don't know how I missed that either!), gotten rid of Super Speed, reslotted a couple powers with your suggestions, and added Maneuvers.

I'm looking forward to your guide!

OK, I tweaked some things and think I've come up with a viable leveling build. Of course, it may change but it's a plan.  I've gotten my controller up to 22 and it's been a pretty smooth ride both as solo and in groups.  Thanks for the advice!

Controller

Primary Power Set: Mind Control

Secondary Power Set: Kinetics

Power Pool: Flight

Power Pool: Speed

Power Pool: Leadership

Power Pool: Medicine

Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Hero Profile:

------------

Level 1: Levitate Acc(A), Dmg(5), Acc(11), Dmg(40), Dmg(42)

Level 1: Transfusion Acc(A), Acc(3), RechRdx(7), EndMod(9), Heal(17)

Level 2: Dominate Acc(A), Hold(3), Acc(7), Hold(31)

Level 4: Siphon Power Acc(A), RechRdx(5)

Level 6: Confuse Acc(A), Conf(9), Acc(15), Conf(31)

Level 8: Fly Flight(A), Flight(17)

Level 10: Mass Hypnosis Acc(A), Acc(11), RechRdx(13), RechRdx(15), Sleep(43)

Level 12: Siphon Speed Acc(A), RechRdx(13), Acc(23)

Level 14: Hasten RechRdx(A), RechRdx(29), RechRdx(34)

Level 16: Increase Density ResDam(A)

Level 18: Total Domination Acc(A), Hold(19), Acc(19), RechRdx(21), Hold(21), RechRdx(23)

Level 20: Speed Boost EndRdx(A)

Level 22: Telekinesis EndRdx(A), EndRdx(25), EndRdx(25)

Level 24: Maneuvers DefBuff(A), EndRdx(37)

Level 26: Terrify Acc(A), Fear(27), Acc(27), Fear(40), RechRdx(46)

Level 28: Inertial Reduction Jump(A), Jump(29)

Level 30: Injection Acc(A), RechRdx(31)

Level 32: Mass Confusion Acc(A), Conf(33), Acc(33), RechRdx(33), Conf(34), RechRdx(34)

Level 35: Transference Acc(A), RechRdx(36), Acc(36), EndMod(36), EndMod(37), Acc(37)

Level 38: Fulcrum Shift Acc(A), RechRdx(39), Acc(39), RechRdx(39), RechRdx(40)

Level 41: Mental Blast Acc(A), Dmg(42), RechRdx(42), Acc(43), Dmg(43)

Level 44: Indomitable Will RechRdx(A), DefBuff(45), RechRdx(45), DefBuff(45), RechRdx(46), DefBuff(46)

Level 47: Mind Over Body RechRdx(A), ResDam(48), RechRdx(48), ResDam(48)

Level 49: World of Confusion Acc(A), Conf(50), Acc(50), RechRdx(50)

Level 1: Brawl Acc(A)

Level 1: Containment

Level 1: Sprint Run(A)

Level 2: Rest RechRdx(A)

Level 2: Swift Run(A)

Level 2: Health Heal(A)

Level 2: Hurdle Jump(A)

Level 2: Stamina EndMod(A)

------------

• 1 month later

Hey EmpororSteele, I thought I was the only one that built a mind/kin controller back in the day.  What server were you on, may I ask?

I agree with him on one thing.  Leveling a Mind/kin controller will be sssssssssssssslllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Psylanna, my mind/kin controller took me about 2 years to get to level 50.  Of course, I was soloing with her most of the time.  I've recreated her on torchbearer, It's going to be interesting reslotting her all over again.  It's been so long, I don't remember how I did it, I just remember which powers she had.  Most of my slots were taken up with recharge reduction, healing boosts (where applicable) and enhancements that boost how much energy I got back,  I don't know if that helps you, but I thought I would give a shout out the mind/kin build!

7 hours ago, ladiestorm said:

Hey EmpororSteele, I thought I was the only one that built a mind/kin controller back in the day.  What server were you on, may I ask?

I agree with him on one thing.  Leveling a Mind/kin controller will be sssssssssssssslllllllloooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Psylanna, my mind/kin controller took me about 2 years to get to level 50.  Of course, I was soloing with her most of the time.  I've recreated her on torchbearer, It's going to be interesting reslotting her all over again.  It's been so long, I don't remember how I did it, I just remember which powers she had.  Most of my slots were taken up with recharge reduction, healing boosts (where applicable) and enhancements that boost how much energy I got back,  I don't know if that helps you, but I thought I would give a shout out the mind/kin build!

And another 50 Mind/Kin but from Virtue. My Mind/Kin took so long to level I've been hesitant to try another and I have been enjoying the luxury of having pets on my dark and illusion controllers.

Cocoon: Forcefield/Rad/Def: Indomitable

I played Mind/Kin back on Virtue before shutdown.

8 Clicks and 1 Toggle in Mind Control.

8 Clicks and 1 Toggle in Kinetics.

The "problem" with the combination of Mind/Kinetics is that ... it's all click powers, meaning that when you're playing you're VERY active setting up for click after click after click after click.  It's an almost frantic playstyle to try and keep up all the time.

I'd been hoping that with Siphon Speed I'd be able to get the recharge reduction down low enough and the duration up high enough on Dominate to be able to successfully stack enough Hold MAG to pierce PToD, but sadly the logistics of needing to chain cast Dominate in the build, even when topped off with recharge from Siphon Speed, was inadequate to being able to consistently overcome the MAG protection on AVs.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

• 2 years later

I played a Mind/Kin back in the day too, on Freedom and Virtue. Not so Uncommon really.  I have a 46 Mind/Kin atm and trying a couple of different builds on her.  Good info though.

Not an expert though, always need to leave room for improvement. 

I don't think I have ever seen an End Mod in Transfusion before. IR and Fly don't need to be two slotted. Hasten doesn't need three slots. Some of the controls are under slotted. It is so rare to see a SO build, and even that's done poorly and even on the redo.

• Thumbs Up 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

• 2 weeks later

I made a mind control/poison controller and i'm liking it. i greatly appreciated the person two years ago who said what six enhancements belong on total domination and mass hypnosis. all i care about is that it definitely hits, that they disable longer, and comes back in time for the next fight. got it . that's beautiful. I'm so glad i know that now. When i get to 32 i'll respec to make sure they both have those six slots. what do i do in the mean time with my damging spells: sleep, hold, and the ol' pancake flipper? They said "just do it like a blaster" but i don't know what blasters do.