How to build past wall heights outside of the base?

I saw the bases showcased in Leandro's twitch stream.  I've managed to build on top of the base, but it won't allow me to put anything past the vertical height of the original base walls.

How do I get past this restriction? I see at least two other bases on the stream that do this.  One had a really cool destroyer shooting missiles at an arachnos copter.

I did read the stickied cheat sheet before I posted.

But I figured out the problem.

I need to F3 (Enable room clipping) constantly -- it's *not* persistent.  So the steps I followed are:

1) Add item anywhere the game allows it.

2) Deselect item.

2) Enable room clipping, F3.

3) Select item and place.  Hold down shift while dragging to place vertically above the base ceiling.

I assume I need to F3 each time I want to place another item "outdoors".  Might want to add that to the cheat sheet, unless I'm doing something wrong.

Clipping remains active for me until I either manually turn it off, or exit Edit mode.

That's the way it works for me as well. 

As long as I'm in edit mode, it is persistent.  If I exit and then re-enter edit mode, I have to re-set clipping.

I think the reason that didn''t work for me is because I didn't bother to fill the entire room.  New items are created at the bottom of the base.  Sometimes in bringing the items up, that particular item loses its ability to clip.

In any case I will play around with the clipping options to see if I can reduce the number of times I have to use it.

Remember that if you move an item you previously elevated, it will pop back down to the floor unless you hold Ctrl while moving it to maintain elevation.

Also play around with the Attachment type by hitting F5 while the item is selected.