~ Inktober ~

For any interested here is the Inktober list.

2020promptlist.jpg

Not sure how many I will get to but I took a stab

at the first topic Fish which is posted in my artz thread.

HcRbgL0v_o.jpg

Good luck to any other artists who wish to play along.  VEWtbwvC_o.gif

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

My aim is to try and find my character which best suits the day's prompt and try and get them down.

Superheroes are sort of new territory for me, and so is this crisper line style (I normally just attack paper with a graphite stick when I'm figure drawing). Plus time is pretty limited to do these in. They'll all be in fairly neutral angles to save time. For now, I'm sticking with familiar grey marker style for shading, so at least I can crack that out quickly.

I don't need to stay inside the lines. I AM the Lines!

But here's my Fish, Man o' War.

Fish.thumb.png.c63eb3e0e68bd5ca7ee9bf07eab8fb2c.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 4

Here's Day 2 - Wisp. My Warshade, Vessel. I wanted to try something a bit weird with the transformation.

There are a lot of anatomy bits I'm not sure about, but I was overworking the sketch and running out of time. I think I know where it could be better. Also, we're not talking about the hand. Nobody mention the hand.

Vessel.thumb.png.f2c857ebcb8f89b713b7fca483969c48.png

• Like 3

Day 3 - Bulky. SENTRYMAN! my Inv/SS Tank.

Not my bulkiest character, but those characters suited other prompts better. Bulky in that not much is going to move him. This isn't even the most contrived of my associations.

When this month is over, I want to try and do some portraits of this guy. I don't feel like I got his face looking the way I want it to, but I'm not entirely sure why. The expression is his, but there's a roundedness that isn't quite right for him. The messed up mask might not be helping. I also want to do some actual muscle studies - I was just guessing in a lot of places, especially the legs.

Looking at it now, something about his right leg looks too far forward, like his foot should be further up the page, in line with his waist. I knew something was up with his stance when I was drawing it, but I only see it after posting. 

880819553_Oct-Sentryman2.thumb.png.8be250f377455da650c4a78387ece951.png

Edit: Well, since it's the weekend and I have time, here's a quick portrait in a style I'm more comfortable with. And playing with some halftone photoshop brushes.

That jaw just needed to come waaaaay out, is the main thing.

SentrymanPortrait.thumb.png.c9b3d1c9511ddcf08ab18169fcf60e27.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 2

Day 4 - Radio. Radiation. A new character, my NRG/Rad Sentinel, Powerlines. I didn't think I'd use my handle as one of my characters at all, but I got the name and it grew on me.

I spent a bit longer on the sketch using stuff I'd learned from the last three. The thing I'm really struggling with is getting an expressive face at such low resolution - I ended up overworking this one almost into blankness. I guess I could up my resolution, but it's already fairly high. I'll try and practice this over the rest of the images, but I think it'll take a few studies once October is over.

Another thing I want to practice is using my photoshop marker brushes to represent different materials. They're a pretty rough facsimile of using actual markers and I don't really know how to represent things like hair and cloth with markers anyway. Again, something for after October.

We're still not talking about hands.

Oct-Powerlines.thumb.png.ccdbe1fe842bf534a52a4128c1a1717a.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2020 at 5:44 AM, Lines said:

My aim is to try and find my character which best suits the day's prompt and try and get them down.

Superheroes are sort of new territory for me, and so is this crisper line style (I normally just attack paper with a graphite stick when I'm figure drawing). Plus time is pretty limited to do these in. They'll all be in fairly neutral angles to save time. For now, I'm sticking with familiar grey marker style for shading, so at least I can crack that out quickly.

I don't need to stay inside the lines. I AM the Lines!

But here's my Fish, Man o' War.

Good idea.

Did you mean playing heroes as opposed to playing villains is new for you or the whole superhero genre? Welcome either way.

You're off to a great start. zb7XgP0P_o.png

On 10/2/2020 at 8:03 AM, DJ1 said:

Good job with Mako and WB!

So that's who beat me to the name hah! Nice drawing too Lines!

Im surprised Delicious hasn't posted in  here yet.

Thank you.

IKR? I thought about making a Man O' War at one point too. There are always alternative spellings. Maybe go for Portuguese Man O' War

or perhaps Homem da Guerra (which is literally Man O' War in Portuguese heh)

Me too.

**goes to nudge DD**

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

42 minutes ago, Christopher Robin said:

Good idea.

Did you mean playing heroes as opposed to playing villains is new for you or the whole superhero genre? Welcome either way.

You're off to a great start. zb7XgP0P_o.png

Thank you!

I mean I'm not used to drawing characters straight from the imagination. Other than the in-game reference, that is. I usually crudely sketch figures from life, so it's the first time I've tried to do poses from my own gesture drawing and the first time I've tried to tidy them up with ink. It's a whole different style, whole different challenge.

I think I'd prefer to try and return to a more expressive style when this is over. I'm finding the inking is peaceful, but it's not very me. Still, I have a plan for all of these when I'm done, so consistency is important.

Here is Day 5 - Blade. My Dual Blades/Ninjitsu Scrapper, Python.

Oct05-Python.thumb.png.2f2e66a0897f54a2fa7b68035bf440a9.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 4

*has been nudged*

Oh my! You guys, wow!
😍.. sorry I seem to have lost the ability to find words 😅.
I'm doing the Inktober thing too, but none of what I came up with has been even remotely CoX related 🙈.
Keep it up! I'll be watching! 😁

Edited by Darth Delicious
  • Like 1

DDLU21.jpg.d32d788cc9a9ad28e1d0bd53f83c1e5d.jpg

6 hours ago, Darth Delicious said:

I'm doing the Inktober thing too, but none of what I came up with has been even remotely CoX related 🙈.

Show us anyway! 🙂

Edit: It was annoying me, so I corrected Sentryman's face and stance. Also retconned my laziness and actually brushed in the cape instead of just filling it. I missed those sweet, sweet brush strokes.

Edit 2: Now I'm doubting myself. Does his leg just look a whole lot shorter, rather than in perspective? I've been looking at this for too long.

1307057756_Oct03-Sentryman2.thumb.png.59d4ec6f63360e6e245d4d7d36ff2142.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1

If you are asking for con/crit feedback I would say yes it does appear shorter than simple perspective would allow.

I think the effect is heightened by the character itself being relatively short at about 7 heads tall.

This is fine if he is supposed to be the short and stocky type but generally speaking

heroes are drawn between 7½ & 9 heads tall depending who you listen to.

There's a little more than ½ a head difference between the soles.

d9XBOtGY_o.jpg

Click thumbnail for larger image.

• Thanks 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

That's really useful feedback, thank you!

I'm sorta just messing about here to get things right. Obviously the way to fix his height is to resize his head. 😄 

So I made a nightmare-inducing tower of Sentryman heads, at risk of giving Piecemeal some ideas for new mobs.

I'm kinda playing and futzing here to figure it out, not sure where I'll take it. I gave myself some new guidelines from the collarbone instead of the waist to try and figure out his stance - though I've not accounted for perspective, but the difference shouldn't be huge. The belt was just a bad reference point. I think what I've realised is I have him kinda weighted on the heel of his feet rather than the whole foot. You can see me literally just shifting that leg around.

1632170741_2020-10-0519_20_33-Sentryman2.psd@24.6(InkRGB_8)_.png.e4b0176483491af914382e32231bbfd8.png

Day 6 - Rodent. I was excited about this one. It's Ratgirl, my Savage/Regen Brute.

It's a little bit messy, especially as I was trying to figure out the arms on the ink (and it's far from perfect) but it came together way quicker than I expected it to and I had the most fun with this one so far. All the crazy shapes were nice to loosen up with.

Oct06-Ratgirl.thumb.png.327c84fe822359c0f70332ed50ca4c1e.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Lines said:

Show us anyway! 🙂

but..but.. but it will be off topic! 😋

Spoiler

It's nothing fancy.. like at all.. but here goes, what I have so far (all done in Autodesk SketchBook by the way):
For Fish:
de6e11t-1b6baa7f-28fe-4ded-9fa7-fa8ddf25

I went with "wisp of hair" for Wisp:
de6e123-5b4d6533-8bce-4803-900c-b874a84d

For Bulky I went with a fat pigeon 😅 (drawn in Disney's Bolt style):
de6e12c-4a89b94d-7a2d-4ce3-86ff-5f17f615

And for Radio... classic Cusack move (though now the cassette player has turned out to be a mini-cassette player... and I don't feel like fixing it... oh well
de6e12j-b768d980-f51f-45b4-b7bc-b438f25a

Yay for brushing hahahah
About that leg, now that you mention it, I see it too (wondrous what a day of not looking at it can do!), but it's only slightly though 🙂 . In that last image, where you moved it a bit, it looks right to me 😊. What helps me a lot  is flipping the canvas horizontally every now and then. It can show you things on it you didn't see before, but were in front of you all along 🙈.

13 hours ago, Lines said:

So I made a nightmare-inducing tower of Sentryman heads, at risk of giving Piecemeal some ideas for new mobs.

🤣

added inktober drawings
  • Like 3

41 minutes ago, Darth Delicious said:

It's nothing fancy

It shouldn't be. Fancy is tomorrow!

I love them! Especially the pigeons. They're such friends!! 🙂

I flipped Sentryman and a whole bunch of stuff felt off balance and wrong. You're so right about that. I've got the leg in a better place, but I think I'll leave it there - if anything, I'd start again with him later on and try and begin with a more rigorous gesture. 

Edited by Lines
  • Like 1

Day 7 - Fancy. My reality bending Thugs/Time MM Mister Grim, who is desperate for henchmen customisation.

I tried a thicker ink brush and eeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I don't like it. I kinda wanted to practice line variation, but I don't think it really happened and just made it look cartoonish and chonky. I'll probably redo this one before I put them all together.

Oct07-MisterGrim.thumb.png.2ba559adece9569e1721878e8d0953d0.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 2

Day 8 - Teeth. As in Gearteeth. It's Kitbash, my Fire/Rad Corruptor!

He's an altered clockwork made to actually mechanically work by steampower instead of just be psychically controlled, but the latent connection with the clockwork king seems to still control him. He's built his own body from random assortments of mechanisms and armour.

Oct08-Kitbash.thumb.png.6e221405c5c92abc404fa9472d8594e8.png

Edited by Lines
  • Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, Christopher Robin said:

@Darth Delicious Very fancy indeed! Is the mask a cloned mirror image?

@Christopher Robinsort of 🙂 I was using Autodesk Sketchbook and discovered a "mirror" option. The thing you draw on one end, ends up mirrored on the other 😯 . Wanted to play with that, so there you go 🙂

• Thanks 1

Throw - Ermine, a ???/Martial Dominator who is waiting for some sort of natural control set.

Spoiler

Oct09-Ermine.thumb.png.2ab9d8e62281eb5874460e94963f4c49.png

Hope - Miss Hyperion, a Grav/NRG Dominator and probably the only hero I have who actually cares about saving the city without some ulterior motive.

Spoiler

1427025486_Oct10-MissHyperion.thumb.png.3712aa629cc0ead8f02a69bd85b5f48b.png

Disgusting - Acid, a Water/Poison Defender in a containment suit to keep in all his disgustingness.

Spoiler

Oct11-Acid.thumb.png.b1905b921905876ad8163e9c642a264a.png

Kinda starting to phone it in at this point. I kinda regret not having shaded with black and sticking to mid-tones. I'll do one more, I reckon, and then finish there.

• Like 4

I've catched up a bit too today, though been quite lazy with the designs 😛.

For Teeth, I went with Toothless, or maybe his lost brother.. grown up son? 😅

Spoiler

8__teeth_by_anjasylvie_de6qxiz-pre.jpg?t

For Throw a very simple throw of a ball...

Spoiler

9__throw_by_anjasylvie_de6qxka-pre.jpg?t

And for hope a very lazy light at the end of the tunnel 🙈.

Spoiler

10__hope_by_anjasylvie_de6qxkd-pre.jpg?t

I really admire you drawing complete characters so fast Lines! 😯. Looking forward to seeing another batch! 🥰

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Lines said:

Throw - Ermine, a ???/Martial Dominator who is waiting for some sort of natural control set.

Hide contents

Oct09-Ermine.thumb.png.2ab9d8e62281eb5874460e94963f4c49.png

Hope - Miss Hyperion, a Grav/NRG Dominator and probably the only hero I have who actually cares about saving the city without some ulterior motive.

Hide contents

1427025486_Oct10-MissHyperion.thumb.png.3712aa629cc0ead8f02a69bd85b5f48b.png

Disgusting - Acid, a Water/Poison Defender in a containment suit to keep in all his disgustingness.

Hide contents

Oct11-Acid.thumb.png.b1905b921905876ad8163e9c642a264a.png

Kinda starting to phone it in at this point. I kinda regret not having shaded with black and sticking to mid-tones. I'll do one more, I reckon, and then finish there.

like you sketch!!! you have potencial! cg!

• Thanks 1