Board Games! (and card games too, I guess)

FoulVileTerror

Picked up Here To Slay by Unstable Games for Christmas presents.  Played a couple games with my daughter tonight and had a blast.  Rules can get a little complicated in a few spots on this card game but overall we enjoyed this one.  With 2 players the game was fun but I think this is one where more players = more fun!

base set and expansion are pretty inexpensive. However there are kickstarter exclusives (ended campaign) on eBay (expensive), That has more cards. But I would recommend the base sets on this game.

• 3 months later

Those that have been commenting about their love of Monopoly might want to check out the predecessor game The Landlord's Game.  Rumor is that there's a crowdsourcing going on to revive and publish the game.

I learned of this when I took my elderly Mom back to her hometown of Macomb, IL a few weeks ago. The city limits sign said it was the hometown of the creator of Monopoly, Elizabeth J. Magie (later Phillips).  This puzzled me, and I launched into a search that revealed that "Lizzie" did indeed create The Landlord's Game, with a testing model in 1903 and a patent in 1904 (A second patent for a revision came in 1924.), three decades before Monopoly. The game ended up selling in both Britain and England for years before Charles Darrow showed up at Parker Brothers to hawk a game he "invented".  It's been demonstrated that his version was so similar that it had to have been a theft of her intellectual property.  Regardless, Parker Brothers bought the rights to both Monopoly and The Landlord's Game, so legalities became a moot point.  The Landlord's Game was originally created to explain through playing the basic concepts of Georgism, an economic ideology.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Techwright said:

Those that have been commenting about their love of Monopoly might want to check out the predecessor game The Landlord's Game.  Rumor is that there's a crowdsourcing going on to revive and publish the game.

I learned of this when I took my elderly Mom back to her hometown of Macomb, IL a few weeks ago. The city limits sign said it was the hometown of the creator of Monopoly, Elizabeth J. Magie (later Phillips).  This puzzled me, and I launched into a search that revealed that "Lizzie" did indeed create The Landlord's Game, with a testing model in 1903 and a patent in 1904 (A second patent for a revision came in 1924.), three decades before Monopoly. The game ended up selling in both Britain and England for years before Charles Darrow showed up at Parker Brothers to hawk a game he "invented".  It's been demonstrated that his version was so similar that it had to have been a theft of her intellectual property.  Regardless, Parker Brothers bought the rights to both Monopoly and The Landlord's Game, so legalities became a moot point.  The Landlord's Game was originally created to explain through playing the basic concepts of Georgism, an economic ideology.

History channel had a recent documentary series called The Toys that Built America with an episode that covered this iyi in a partly dramatized version of the whole Parker Bros/Milton Bradley rivalry story. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt14357568/

• Thumbs Up 1