Mac Catalina - Unable to find game files

ozma22

OK, went down another rabbit hole:  Because this is a new computer, I was wondering about permissions overall. I did a get info on my Macintosh HD and Applications folders, and it's showing everyone as read-only. My mac login is admin, so when I unlocked and attempted to change it, it threw this error.  I then found this article and followed steps, but no dice.  

So apparently I can't update permissions on my own mac and I'm thinking that's what's blocking the installer and launcher.  Thoughts? Suggestions?

240978403_ScreenShot2020-12-04at7_41_35AM.thumb.png.285df8b0de1798ca214ab7c53bfe600c.png

I tried once again to do a complete reinstall, etc. but I'm back to square one - if I use Island Rum, I get this unable to locate files error even those the scan is successful.  If I try the COH Launcher, it get the request for directory, put in Z:\Applications\coh and get the permissions error, even in Safe mode.

I'm really surprised it isn't working as it worked great on my other mac. Other than removing those additional permissions based on the article above, I'm completely stumped and sad.  I also can't install on my work lap top Windows 10 because the install requires some sort of .net installation that the permissions won't allow.

I'm this close to just buying a windows laptop to get this running!

Meanwhile any other suggestions?

I truly appreciate all the time and effort and support you've provided, I really do appreciate it.

About what you Might be seeing WRT the permissions. There's this thing about APFS where it treats volumes rather funky as an effort to prevent intrusion. You have a single (wrong word) group of sub volumes all within a single one. Generally, you shouldn't see more than the "Catalina - Data" volume (Yours appears to be called Macintosh HD) as that's the User modifiable volume. It also has a "Update" and "Catalina" volumes as well. AFAIK, you can't really (easily?) modify either of those (and probably shouldn't). I tinkered a while when I first noticed them and realized anything you put into the protected OS volume was wiped out on next boot. That said, if you're on an HFS+ formatted volume, then ignore all of the above, but consider changing to APFS for a list of benefits I don't know off hand.

If you haven't already, go ahead and boot into Recover (Command+R at startup chime), then use Disk Utility to run First Aid on your drive to make sure everything's fine (it'll fix or complain it can't) at that level.

Now if you don't mind not being able to personalize it too much, then you could download the latest Windows ISO from MSFT and install bootcamp. That would (hopefully) knockout most of your problems as you'd be running Completely separate from the current OS and permissions. The process is straight forward, you've got Plenty of HDD space, and you've already tried most of what I can think of so far. Give Windows like 256 GB - 512 GB just in case you use it more in the future.

• Thanks 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Hi Folks - Whomever reminded me about Bootcamp on Mac, THANK YOU. Head-slap moment, completely forgot about that option because the new mac client always worked.  I've got Bootcamp and Windows 10 and the game successfully installed and running, and the graphics are amazing.  So happy.   Thank you to everyone who helps. I'll continue to try the mac client from time-to-time as well.  Happy holidays to everyone, and here's to a happy new year!

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2020 at 12:10 PM, ozma22 said:

Hi Folks - Whomever reminded me about Bootcamp on Mac, THANK YOU. Head-slap moment, completely forgot about that option because the new mac client always worked.  I've got Bootcamp and Windows 10 and the game successfully installed and running, and the graphics are amazing.  So happy.   Thank you to everyone who helps. I'll continue to try the mac client from time-to-time as well.  Happy holidays to everyone, and here's to a happy new year!

Heh, I'd be doing the same if my funky config didn't basically break it, but for "normal" people, it's not a problem. 😉

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)