Mac Catalina - Unable to find game files

ozma22

I recently had to replace my iMac and restored it from Time Machine - I ended up having to reinstall all of the Homecoming CoH per instructions, but when I try to launch the game client, I get this error (see attached screen shot).

271694594_ScreenShot2020-10-25at10_32_49AM.thumb.png.197dd31b0107d59bf8211a89463a8c05.png

I've tried deleting all coh folders and launchers, and have tried several methods to get the latest installer, including a thread that said there's an installer that addresses this permissions?

Can anyone guide me to a solution? I've been months without my mac and CoH and now that I have it, I can't play!  Gah! :)

Well the solution should be just to hit that icon in the upper left corner of Island rum and making sure that your game files are in the destination that's listed, but I would try manga's new process that's listed in the forums here for the new launcher.

• Like 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Not sure I understand. I read blog posts and the manifest is pointed to https://islandrum.eekstudio.com/manifest.xml and I did a rescan of files successfully. Install path is set to /Applications/coh and use default is checked.  Can you post a link to Manga's new process? I think I tried it, but it's still not working.  I tried deselecting use default and manually navigating to the /Applications/coh folder and that didn't work either.  Any ideas, screenshots or suggestions?

This is Manga's thread for the new launcher. I'd follow the 2nd method (simply download the new launcher) and post any issues in the thread. I still have to test out on Catalina (likely today) to verify any issues, but Mojave was a breeze.

Don't forget to follow the thread I posted if you still have your old game files (costumes, etc).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Here are the steps I've followed.

1. Removed all files/installers, etc. for a clean start.

2. Followed Method 2 as prescribed above

• Downloaded installer
  • Right-clicked and opened installer
  • Standard install on Macintosh HD
  • Installer reports Installation Successful with green checkmark

3. Clicked on Application folder and confirmed that coh folder is present and the Launch CoH app is present.

4. Launched app.

5. Dialog box requesting install destination folder pops up.

6. Created Homecoming folder on desktop and selected that folder.

7. Click Install.

8. Same error message is displayed: "An error occurred copying the launcher program files. This may indicate the interference of anti-virus or other security software that does not recognize the launcher as a trusted executable."

9.  Full stop.

P.S. Thank you so much for helping, I really appreciate it - this worked before I replaced my iMac and I've been months since playing, so eager to solve. 🙂

Edited by ozma22

7 hours ago, ozma22 said:

6. Created Homecoming folder on desktop and selected that folder.

I "think" this is your problem as ALL of the guides for both Mac launchers have it installed in \Applications\coh

Here's what I tested:

again, not sure I understand. I've attempted to use the default of applications/coh multiple times but get the permission error each time.

• Downloaded installer

3. Clicked on Application folder and confirmed that coh folder is present and the Launch CoH app is present.

4. Launched app.

6. Select Applications/coh

7. Click Install.

8. Same error message is displayed: "An error occurred copying the launcher program files. This may indicate the interference of anti-virus or other security software that does not recognize the launcher as a trusted executable."

9.  Full stop.

• Lead Game Master

Hi there, sorry you're having some trouble. I just recently this weekend setup the new Launcher on my Mac using Method 2 from @Manga and it worked fine though my Bitdefender did have a little wobble at one of the files it seemed to get over itself and I can say once working it's great.

It sounds like you're very nearly there though - what anti-virus are you running and can you screenshot this error as it different from the original one (progress - you'll get there). Also just help us out which what version of Mac OS you're currently running and the age of the iMac. Thank you!!

• Like 1

GM ColdSpark

Lead Game Master

Ways to Contact Me: Here is the link to the Homecoming Discord  and I am GM ColdSpark

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

Hi GM Coldspark -

Using Avira AV on brand new iMac with Catalina installed.  

Just tested the following steps again:

1. Removed all files/installers, etc. for a clean start and emptied trash.

2. Disabled real-time scanning in Avira.

3. Followed Method 2 as prescribed above

• Downloaded installer

4. Clicked on Application folder and confirmed that coh folder is present and the Launch CoH app is present.

5. Launched app.

6. Dialog box requesting install destination folder pops up - don't know if there's a default to use or whatever, so put it in the applications coh folder

7. Click Install.

8.  Same error message is displayed: "An error occurred copying the launcher program files. This may indicate the interference of anti-virus or other security software that does not recognize the launcher as a trusted executable."

9.  Full stop.

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.01.03 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.05.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.06.13 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-28 at 8.09.10 AM.png

2042463615_ScreenShot2020-10-28at8_15_32AM.thumb.png.926c9fbc87336ea64dca0e8f266cc153.png

927141757_ScreenShot2020-10-28at8_16_28AM.png.b67c735e2548eaf2c7af5b87206622b9.png

Edited by ozma22

• Lead Game Master

Thanks - I'll ask some of our more technical types to take a look at this thread and see what thoughts they have.

GM ColdSpark

Lead Game Master

Ways to Contact Me: Here is the link to the Homecoming Discord  and I am GM ColdSpark

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• Game Master
3 hours ago, ozma22 said:

again, not sure I understand. I've attempted to use the default of applications/coh multiple times but get the permission error each time.

• Downloaded installer

4. Launched app.

6. Select Applications/coh

7. Click Install.

9.  Full stop.

It shouldn't ask for a path at all, but if it insists, it's going to be Z:\Applications\coh

Some people are having permissions issues where the launcher is unable to access the files it needs.  You could try the following:

- Select the /Applications/coh folder in the Finder

- Press Cmd-I or use the Get Info command from the file menu.

- Click the padlock in the bottom corner, and type in your admin password.

- Change all 3 access types at the bottom to "Read and Write".

- Pull down the widget below it and select "Apply to Enclosed Items".

Mac expert and designer of Homecoming for Mac.

@ozma22,

Same error message is displayed: "An error occurred copying the launcher program files. This may indicate the interference of anti-virus or other security software that does not recognize the launcher as a trusted executable."

Using Avira AV on brand new iMac with Catalina installed.  

If you're getting security warnings, then how about going over your installed security. You shouldn't Have to, but you may need to pause the active scanner in that product during installation.

While I honestly don't think it should matter, I noticed that you've installed BOTH launchers into the Applications\coh folder and that is not advised in any of the guides.

Also, did you follow this specific commented process? (see below) Your posts above don't seem to correlate with a New Launcher install so much as they do with the older launcher. This would be helpful to know so that we're troubleshooting the Right thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ignore the first part as I'd rather you delete the following from the Applications folder first (before trying the install) so as to start from scratch: The process INCLUDES the permissions steps needed.

• \coh (folder)
  • Island Rum.app
  • Launch CoH.app 

To be clear, this is the link you're clicking at the beginning of the process (new launcher):

Hi there.

Here's where I'm at.

1. Disabled all AV.

2. Deleted \Applications\coh

3. Deleted Island Rum.app

4. Deleted Launch COH app

5. Cleaned out downloads folder

6. Downloaded mac-installer using your link above

7. Confirmed Coh folder is in Applications/coh and that the permissions all have read/write

8. Ran installer

9. When asked for install folder, chose desktop/Homecoming this time so as not to install in the same location as \applications\coh

10. Same error message, full stop, no Island Rum app installed either.

Edited by ozma22

8 hours ago, ozma22 said:

9. When asked for install folder, chose desktop/Homecoming this time so as not to install in the same location as \applications\coh

10. Same error message, full stop, no Island Rum app installed either.

You Want the game to install into the Applications\coh folder...

What happens when you boot the Mac in safemode? I believe that's holding shift down after the startup chime. That would rule out any 3rd party apps interfering.

Also, and because I don't recall what mine said, did the installer put in Applications\coh\Homecoming or did you make a Homecoming folder inside the Applications\coh folder? I took a snapshot copy of the base launcher structure (pre-install) and it does Not include a Homecoming folder. In fact, I'm pretty sure there isnt' a Homecoming folder in the final structure.

10 hours ago, ozma22 said:

The installer adds the Homecoming directory. I will try in safe mode and report what happens.

You can't be installing the new launcher then, because it does not do that. It creates two folders: \coh\Launcher and \coh\wine

10 hours ago, ozma22 said:

I used the link you provided - can you provide another one or attach it?

Try removing everything and following the new guide I threw together for the new launcher:

• 4 weeks later

Hi there - Sorry I haven't been online to test in a while. And thank you for your time and effort with this, I truly appreciate you and the community.  I'm sad to report that I followed every step in your new guide, which is amazing, but hit the same full stop at the First launch step where it asks me for a directory instead of matching your screenshots.  Any ideas? I also removed my AV software and all coh items, apps, installers, etc. per step 1.

Also, it occurs to me in the folder dialog that it's looking for a Windows folder on a mac to install an exe? if so, because of removing all things, I don't have any copies of the Coh windows folder structure to point to? Could that be something?spacer.png  I also removed all coh-related items from my Systems/Prefs folder, just to ensure the system was completely clean.

Image 12-1-20 at 7.52 AM.jpeg

Edited by ozma22

@ozma22, you've got a very interesting case that I've not been able to replicate either native or in VM so far. Did you go back and retest what @GM Mangawrote above?

On 12/1/2020 at 4:12 PM, WanderingAries said:

@ozma22, you've got a very interesting case that I've not been able to replicate either native or in VM so far. Did you go back and retest what @GM Mangawrote above?

I have tried that too, and even tried reinstalling rum catalina, all approaches end the same way: It asks for a directory and shows the same error, then full stop.  I'm not sure what else to do, but it's running fine on our other iMac - I had to replace my iMac recently aNd restored from Time Machine (i did this once before on another mac and coh worked fine), so not sure what's different about my new computer. I am the admin and have full permissions as far as I can tell, and even checked the coh folder permissions to ensure those were open.  Any ideas? I want to play again!

In as much as don't want to show personal drive info, I could record a screen grab video of all the steps I follow if that helps?  Maybe there's some admin permission missing?

Edited by ozma22