Mind/energy dominator alt questions

Sykar

Having a blast on my mind/energy dominator alt and decided that I will focus on him a lot for now. My questions are:

1.) Do I need some kind of self heal for later levels? Should I get Medicine for example? Or will I be fine with just inspirations?

2.) Which powers of my primary/secondary are less important and can be skipped? I skipped Mesmerize so far, anything else I can skip?

3.) Epic power pool will be Psionic Mastery. I have narrowed it down to Link Minds, Indomitable Will, Mind over Body and Psionic Tornado but 4 powers seem a bit much. Which of those 4 is the weakest overall?

4.) Is the Force of Will power pool worth considering?

That is all now, any help is welcome.

1: No, and Dominators usually want as many Power Pools that have a Defense power as possible, for LotG slotting.

2: Telekinesis and either Levitate or Mesmerize... but whichever you DO take will probably be unslotted after levelling up, as the attacks from Energy Assault are better.

3: I am taking all 4 (see build later). If skipping one, I'd skip, um... maybe Indom Will. It's mostly a LotG mule. I use PsyNado as a set mule to help AoE defense, but it could be slotted with a purple set and a Force Feedback IO in order to get Mass Confusion/Mass Dominate up faster for the next spawn.

4: Force of Will is a good power pool. Weaken Resolve is excellent, Wall of Force is good damage for a low-damage set and can take the FF IO, and Unleash Resolve is great and also can slot LotG. However, Doms are not a low-damage AT, so Wall of Force is not as useful for them. So they really only use 2 of those 3 good powers, but you could fill up the other requirement with the Superjump clone.

Spoiler

Villain Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.6.0.7
https://github.com/ImaginaryDevelopment/imaginary-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

Mental Energy: Level 50 Mutation Dominator
Primary Power Set: Mind Control
Secondary Power Set: Energy Assault
Power Pool: Concealment
Power Pool: Speed
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Flight
Ancillary Pool: Psionic Mastery

Villain Profile:
Level 1: Mesmerize -- HO:Perox(A)
Level 1: Power Bolt -- FrcFdb-Rechg%(A)
Level 2: Dominate -- BslGaz-Acc/Hold(A), BslGaz-Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(3), BslGaz-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(5), NrnSht-Dam%(5), GhsWdwEmb-Dam%(7)
Level 4: Power Push -- SprWntBit-Rchg/SlowProc(A), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg(11), SprWntBit-Dmg/Rchg(11), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(13), SprWntBit-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(13), SprWntBit-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(15)
Level 6: Confuse -- SprAscoft-Rchg/+Dmg%(A), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear(15), SprAscoft-Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/Rchg(17), SprAscoft-EndRdx/Rchg(17), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx(19), SprAscoft-Acc/Conf/Hold/Immob/Sleep/Stun/Fear/EndRdx/Rchg(19)
Level 8: Stealth -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), Ksm-ToHit+(21), Rct-ResDam%(21)
Level 10: Mass Hypnosis -- CaloftheS-Acc/Sleep/Rchg(A)
Level 12: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(23)
Level 14: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Power Up -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 18: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), GldArm-3defTpProc(23)
Level 20: Whirling Hands -- Arm-Dam%(A), Arm-Dmg(25), Arm-Dmg/Rchg(25), Arm-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(27), Arm-Dmg/EndRdx(27), SprDmnGrs-Rchg/Fiery Orb(29)
Level 22: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx(29)
Level 24: Hover -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 26: Terrify -- PstBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(A), PstBls-Dam%(31), JvlVll-Dam%(31), GlmoftheA-Dam%(31), Bmbdmt-+FireDmg(33)
Level 28: Total Focus -- Hct-Dam%(A), Hct-Acc/Rchg(33), Hct-Dmg/EndRdx(33), Hct-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Hct-Dmg/Rchg(34), TchofDth-Dam%(46)
Level 30: Total Domination -- Lck-%Hold(A), Lck-Acc/Hold(34), Lck-Acc/Rchg(36), Lck-Rchg/Hold(36), Lck-EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(36), Lck-Acc/EndRdx/Rchg/Hold(37)
Level 32: Mass Confusion -- CrcPrs-Conf%(A), CrcPrs-Conf(37), CrcPrs-Conf/Rchg(37), CrcPrs-Acc/Conf/Rchg(39), CrcPrs-Acc/Rchg(39), CrcPrs-Conf/EndRdx(39)
Level 35: Sniper Blast -- StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), StnoftheM-Acc/Dmg(40), StnoftheM-Dmg/EndRdx(40), StnoftheM-Dmg/ActRdx/Rchg(40), StnoftheM-Dam%(42), FrcFdb-Rechg%(42)
Level 38: Power Burst -- Apc-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Apc-Acc/Rchg(42), Apc-Dmg(43), Apc-Dmg/EndRdx(43), Apc-Dam%(43), FrcFdb-Rechg%(45)
Level 41: Link Minds -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-Def/EndRdx/Rchg(45), LucoftheG-EndRdx/Rchg(46), RedFrt-Def/Rchg(50)
Level 44: Mind Over Body -- UnbGrd-Max HP%(A)
Level 47: Psionic Tornado -- SprFrzBls-Rchg/ImmobProc(A), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg(48), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(48), SprFrzBls-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(50), SprFrzBls-Dmg/EndRdx/Acc/Rchg(50)
Level 49: Indomitable Will -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Domination
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(A), Mrc-Rcvry+(7), Pnc-Heal/+End(9)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), PrfShf-EndMod(9), PwrTrns-+Heal(46)
Level 4: Ninja Run
Level 1: Quick Form
Level 50: Barrier Core Epiphany
Level 50: Nerve Radial Paragon
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment
Level 50: Reactive Core Flawless Interface
Level 50: Carnival Core Superior Ally
------------

• Thanks 1

If you really feel like you need a heal after you get to upper-levels, one of the Incarnate powers heals everyone in a large area.  Though I would still go with Barrier.  You have so few HP as a Dominator that you will probably die in the moment you realize your health is going down and go to hit your heal button.  Better to avoid it altogether. 

Skipping Mesmerize is a good idea on a Dominator.  I've found Levitate is more helpful mitigation especially early on.  I usually skip Mass Hypnosis because I team a lot, but if you're soloing or running on smaller teams, it can be a great tool.  Definitely take the last three powers in the set and get them recharged as often as you can.

I personally enjoy using Telekinesis, but it is situational and some people get confused when it's happening.  I have two personal favorite techniques.  The first is to pin someone to a wall that they are already close to, but you have to be careful of your position if there are other targets near your primary target.  You really want to pin everyone into a CORNER.  Otherwise the other guys will be held and lifted as well, but if you are too close to the wall they are pinned to, the side guys will start to slide apart and along the wall, away from the primary target. 

This leads me to my second technique - use it in short bursts.  Move a couple of enemies back onto someone's Tar Patch or Ice Slick.  And then turn it off.  It's nice when the wall or corner is there for pinning, but don't force it.  That's when things get sloppy with TK.  If it's not doing what you pictured it doing, just drop them.  I use Speed of Sound on my mind/energy dom so that I can use Jaunt to move around the battle (easier once Combat Teleport drops on live!).  If I spot some stragglers that aren't getting hit with the AoEs, I zap over and line it up so i lift them, nudge them over just enough, and drop them.  The whole process takes just a few seconds seconds.  More than that, and it might pick up other enemies and make the group spread out more.

I second -  Force of Will is good.  I pop Unleash Potential before a big fight or when it looks like it'll get hairy.  Dominators are usually building for recharge so it will be up plenty.  Don't fall into my same trap where you "save it for later" so much that you end up dead.  Use it !  Also yeah the debuff in Weaken Resolve is great.  It's not the most competitive debuff numbers, but Doms don't have tons of access to that in general.  Specifically Mind/Energy has none.  Slap Weaken Resolve on the biggest targets so you can make sure your controls land, especially while leveling and still working toward having Domination up more of the time.  

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2020 at 2:17 AM, Sykar said:

Having a blast on my mind/energy dominator alt and decided that I will focus on him a lot for now. My questions are:

1.) Do I need some kind of self heal for later levels? Should I get Medicine for example? Or will I be fine with just inspirations?

2.) Which powers of my primary/secondary are less important and can be skipped? I skipped Mesmerize so far, anything else I can skip?

3.) Epic power pool will be Psionic Mastery. I have narrowed it down to Link Minds, Indomitable Will, Mind over Body and Psionic Tornado but 4 powers seem a bit much. Which of those 4 is the weakest overall?

4.) Is the Force of Will power pool worth considering?

That is all now, any help is welcome.

1. No, inspirations will work just fine for you.  Build up those defenses though.  

2. I take Mesmerize, it's still a very useful power at minimal slotting.  I slot just the Apocalypse dmg +5 IO into it for the psi damage when I need it.  Mesmerize is far more useful than Levitate and you have to take one of the two.  As for the rest of the powers these are the ones I run with on this dom.  Mesmerize, Dominate, Confuse, Total Domination, Mass Confusion and Terrify.  On Energy I take the first blast then Power Boost, Whirling Hands, Total Focus, Snipe and Power Burst.  

3. If you're going psi mastery for thematic reasons sure.  Soul Mastery though pairs real nice with Energy.  

4. Force of Will is very much worth it on this dominator.  Normally on a dom very well slotted Unleash Potential nets you around 21% defense but if you use Power Boost just before you click UP you'll get another 10% defense.  So you're running around with 31% defense to all types with just this one power not to mention all of the other avenues you can pull out defense bonuses.  A well built dom with tons of recharge will get this to recharge in say 2:15 so you'll have it available half of the time and the other half of the time I use the Incarnate Barrier so that I'm running around defense capped at all times.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later

1) Between adding defence with sets and all the control we have, I don’t think healing is needed at all. A few inspiration is plenty.

2) I respected Mesmerize back in. It’s useful all the way up to 50 for stacking sleeps. It can make bosses and some AVs MUCH easier. 
3) It really depends on what sets you’re going for. 
I’d say my ‘must have’ powers are:

Mass Confusion (Coercive Persuasion with the Contagious Confusion proc is amazing here).

Mass Hypnosis (for when Mass Confusion is down).

Terrify (slotted for damage).

Sniper Blast (single target rotation)

Power Bust (single target rotation)

Dominate (single target rotation, slotted for damage)

Mesmerize (general control)

I think everything else is optional on how you want to build it. Or what you want as slot mules.

4) Personally I liked Energy for concept and the AoEs. Explosive Blast and Energy Torrent help make this build solid for AoEs.

• Thanks 1

I will echo what others have written about the (self-)heal. My general experience is that the Incarnate self-heal covers what I want for most of the content where I want a self heal. I should note that my Dominator also has Fire Imps, which is a different primary. I don't disagree that chasing Incarnate Barrier powers is probably more efficient... but it doesn't earn the healing badges 😉

The Medicine pool is almost certainly not worth investing in for the self heal. I'll make an alternate recommendation, but this is not a path I have taken with my Dominator. Since a Dominator will be pursuing as much Global +Recharge as possible, Unrelenting (a 3rd pick from the Presence pool) can provide both regular self-healing and a +Damage boost. It can also 6-slot Preventive Medicine for +Recharge bonuses (as well as the +Absorb %proc)

I see several drawbacks to the Presence pool (for Dominators):

• Neither of the mandatory first picks (Pacify, Provoke) is particularly useful for Dominators. Neither power can act as an IO mule. It is practically inconceivable that Pacify would be useful (given Dominator AoE). I personally like the set bonuses from 6-slots of Mocking Beratement, but it is unlikely that a Dominator will have slots to spare for a Taunt.
  • The next available power (and you must take a second power from the Presence pool to get Unrelenting) is a single-target Fear (Intimidate). A Dominator doesn't need such a control power, either as a control or for Magnitude stacking of Fear. Fear IO sets are also not anywhere close to being top-tier.
  • Unrelenting requires 6-slots to be useful in regular play. That is a LOT of slots (on top of 3 power picks) to invest in a Dominator.

I can imagine character concept builds for Dominators that leverage the Presence pool, but I feel like such builds would risk sacrificing too much Damage/Defense for more Controls. Of course, there is nothing wrong with more Control, but the ceiling is somewhat low for how much you can effectively use.

• Thanks 1