Future Holiday Ideas (open thread)

Let's share ideas that might be neat for future seasonal content, whether it's small stuff or big, share it here.

• Signature Costumes: Taking a bit of a page from Final Fantasy XIV's Halloween event, this idea is to basically make costume temp powers of signature characters we could buy with salvage or perhaps even turn into a reward for some of the other events. Now the extent of the costumes is admittedly something up in the air in my mind, perhaps it might be fun to go all out and let a player not just assume the appearance of a signature character, but even their powers as well, in which case we can throw open the gates a bit to include Mark-VI "Victoria" bots, Titans, and some others for fun and thrills. Or maybe it should be a purely cosmetic and restricted thing, so when you adopt these costumes you can't really access any power besides maybe walk. Last idea is for them to work like normal costumes, in which case they might need to be limited to strictly humanoid characters like Statesman and Maelstrom.
  • Summer Fireworks Nights: Basically, if you're American (or Japanese), nothing says Summer like arbitrary explosions in the sky. This would require some repurposed art assets, but the idea would be that from mid-july to Mid-August, every time night comes to Paragon, the Skybox is now has super-sized versions of the fireworks emotes (along with maybe some new fireworks effects) that occasionally blast into the sky. Or this could be turned into a special zone event of some kind. (which might simply the skybox thing. Oh, maybe it could be held in Kallisti for Heroes and Villains to enjoy!)
  • Summer Splash-fest: This might be the most involved one, but basically a PVP mini-game that involves players getting unique powers in the form of water guns and bombs to douse eachother in a special arena. Refill your armaments by diving into the pool and capture zones from the opposing team!

Those are the ideas off the top of my head, two of the three for summer since there's really not much it's got going for it. Share your ideas here!

I briefly entertained an idea for an undeclared change for April Fool's Day, where the badges would have their names twisted (so 'Burning the Midnight Oil' might become 'Oiling the Midnight Burn', 'Hero Corps Insider' becomes 'Hero Corps  Reject', 'Apex' becomes 'Nadir', etc.), but when I realized that this would need humorous rewrites of the badge descriptions, too, and that all of the names and descriptions would be in the client data files, so it would not only be a major task to do all of the rewrites, but need a sizeable data file update at the start and end of the event, I discarded it as being too complicated to make work.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2020 at 9:18 PM, Sakura Tenshi said:

Let's share ideas that might be neat for future seasonal content, whether it's small stuff or big, share it here.

• Signature Costumes: Taking a bit of a page from Final Fantasy XIV's Halloween event, this idea is to basically make costume temp powers of signature characters we could buy with salvage or perhaps even turn into a reward for some of the other events. Now the extent of the costumes is admittedly something up in the air in my mind, perhaps it might be fun to go all out and let a player not just assume the appearance of a signature character, but even their powers as well, in which case we can throw open the gates a bit to include Mark-VI "Victoria" bots, Titans, and some others for fun and thrills. Or maybe it should be a purely cosmetic and restricted thing, so when you adopt these costumes you can't really access any power besides maybe walk. Last idea is for them to work like normal costumes, in which case they might need to be limited to strictly humanoid characters like Statesman and Maelstrom.

Those are the ideas off the top of my head, two of the three for summer since there's really not much it's got going for it. Share your ideas here!

I definitely think we could use some more temp costume options at Halloween, including signature characters.  I don't think getting any of the signature characters powers would fit with the idea of the costume temp powers.  They're basically dress up to go trick or treating, not to become those characters.

But there definitely needs to be more female costume representation among the costumes available.  Right now, we have one female only costume (Knives of Artemis) and a handful of costumes that are of the same sex your character is (Coralax, Crey Agent, Paragon Protector, Vahzilok).  Here are some ideas that could be added to the randomly awarded ones when trick or treating:

• Longbow Agent  (male/female)
  • Hero Corps Agent  (male/female)
  • Cabal  (female only)
  • Red Cap  (male only)
  • Fir Bolg  (no gender?)
  • Shivan  (definitely no gender)
  • Vampire  (non-Council version)
  • Zombie  (male/female)
  • Freakshow  (there's a temp power in a mission where you have to infiltrate the gang and just have some Freakshow stuff overlayed on your character model)
  • Cimeroran  (male soldier / female Sybils from ITF rescue mission)

And in addition to these, make signature hero & villain temp power costumes available as craftable temp powers at the appropriate Halloween contacts.  At the very least, Statesman, Lord Recluse, and Back Alley Brawler (they have Halloween costumes represented in the game lore as shown by finding pieces in the form of Halloween salvage).  If a Hamidon overlay could be added to a character, then yes a Hamidon costume as well... but obviously not a full size Hamidon running around.