Trying to MacGuyver a drumset together...

humanowl

Anyone have any suggestions or experience with making a typical drumset in the base editor? Just looking for a simple 5 piece drumset. I've made a stage that would look excellent with one on it.
There are plenty of items that will work for the cymbals and support rods and such, it's the actual drums I'm having issues replicating.
Any suggestions would be super helpful! Thanks.

• Community Rep

I'm interested in this, too, started looking into making a set, and didn't like my options. Tho, I know some have done drum sets, I personally didn't see what I wanted. I'll let you know if I come up with anything.

-Dacy

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dacy!!

Seems to me that a lot of the cylinders that could work are a bit too long. I'm sure it might work to use a million letter "I"s to make the cylinders and some round plates/vents for the actual stretched drum surfaces but I'd like to look around before committing to something that intensive. 😛

• Community Rep

Same. I'd prolly use bathroom stall panel walls, since they don't have the intrusive item box that alphabet letters do, but same idea and same reason I haven't. 🙂  I need to look into that aggressively.

-Dacy

• Community Rep

I have your big drum here 🙂 Still working on the smaller bits of the set (and right at this moment, working on getting the 8s to behave; I recommend placing things one at a time and letting the base shift happen, but this is basically what I'm going for, almost there!).  This is a sunk down #8, the top part, with center filled with hyphens. The outside is a slightly offset colored 8. Metal ...I don't know what you call the tension rods on the outside of a drum, but those, I made that from knives. The inner rim on the white is the edge of a grill lid.drum.thumb.png.eb9979fc3f6bcbbac73de9319f0dea7b.png

I have made the flatter drum and the two that perch on top of the floor bass drum, but have not yet gotten the shift to behave yet. I'll post another pic when I'm done.

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Community Rep

I have not been able to get the rim of the grill to stay, but getting close to having the whole thing done. Base shift is making me miserable, but eh, that's a basebuilder's life.

-Dacy

• Community Rep

Almost done! Wow, took me way longer than I thought it would, and I still have the second of the smaller perched drums to do, but now that I know how to do it, won't take so long.

I changed the color to red because the only thing I could find that didn't shift wildly for the smallest drum was the coffee can, which is red, so, red it is.

The larger side drum sides are made from coffee machines. I don't think I will do a colored side for the short wide drum; I have already been thru every tintable item in the editor, and there is nothing that will really work.

Pretty much all of the cymbals and drum tops other than the largest drum are made from reading light 1. To get the coffee cans to not bump up above the light stand that serves as the drum surface, I had to set up one light the way I wanted, and then I attached a second light to it using "surface" with no grid setting. Ever notice that when you place items on different surfaces to start with, they end up at slightly different levels when you raise or lower them? Well, I took advantage of that, and it worked. So, I set the coffee cans on the lower, first placed surface and then held control while moving them into position. I had to leave frequently to check to make sure it hadn't shifted past acceptable limits.

The short wide drum is two operating lights facing each other, from medical/scientific. And, as I said in my previous post, the largest drum is the top of the number 8 with the center filled in with hyphens and colored 8s slightly shifted to show up around it.drums.thumb.png.11ac3bd56c80a022a7c81b2f5daf59d4.pngdrums2.thumb.png.20b1a8d553ddcf2bd6f650378da136df.png

And, I just realized that the upside down light stand to the front of the big drum wasn't supposed to be there; it's the stand I used to place the coffee cans.drums2.thumb.png.20b1a8d553ddcf2bd6f650378da136df.png

-Dacy

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later