Ice melee

Xandyr

Hey all.

So I rolled an ice/rad, and so far I like it. Few questions for the gurus...

Is Ice that rare? I think mine is the only ice melee scrapper I've seen . 

Is Frozen Aura a "must", or can it be skipped? Seems counterproductive to me as Frost is a cone and Ground Zero and Rad Therapy are pbaoe.  Once you use those,  the enemies will break free from Frozen Aura.

Freezing Touch is a DoT. When it ctits, will the first tick be the crit, or every tick of damage? Same for Frost?

What's everyone's thoughts on Ice? So far to me ot seems like this is gonna be a great combo (capped or near capped resists to most everything,  good damage, and the slow from Ice will mitigate incoming damage a little).

Thanks for any advice. 

Frozen Aura is a must.  It's not about the Sleep, it's about that PBAOE Ice Damage.  Though the sleep will help with initial attacks if you have no other PBAOE.  If you do, it's still a PBAOE with...

More Damage and Faster Casting than:

Whirling Axe

Whirling Sword

Typhoon's Edge

Burst

Eye of the Storm

Whirling Mace

Faster Casting than:

Spin (Claws DPA Loser)

Thunder Strike  ( Electric DPA Loser)

Fire Sword Circle (Fire DPA Loser)

Mass Levitate (Psychic DPA Winner)

Atom Smasher (Radiation DPA Loser)

Rending Fury (Savage DPA Winner)

More Damage than:

Lotus Drops (Katana DPA Winner)

Dragon's Tail (Martial Arts DPA Winner)

Loses to:

Spinning Strike (though it's a Targeted AOE with smaller radius around target)

Whirling Smash 

Based on MiDS damage and cast times (arcana time option)

However, the real point is, you wouldn't skip those PBAOEs on other sets would you?

Also, I left out the two teleport AOEs.

Edited by BrandX
  • Thanks 1

I run an Ice/Regen Scrap that I rolled as a laugh but he wound up being one of my favourite characters.
The Crits from Frost and Freezing Touch come as a lump at the beginning of the attack, then proceed with the regular DoT damage. 

Frozen Aura is a must I would say. It's really good. Take it. This and Frost are your AOE and you can melt mobs if you can get them up often enough.

Cold is not well resisted and you can see the difference between it and the smashing when you hit someone with an attack that has a s/l portion to it. The mob will resist it much more than the cold (typically). 

I have had good success with this combo as the slows (and sleep from Aura) help give regen the little breathing space it needs so long as I survive the alpha.

Ice Patch helped while leveling but I specced out of it in the end. 

Get the ATOs (the procs at least) if you can. They're slottable at lvl 10. Not as game changing as the stalker ones but they're still good.

I've not tried Ice Armor so I can't help much there but I would imagine it should work nicely. 

Edited by silentbutdebtly
removed one line left unintentionally

On 11/23/2020 at 8:44 PM, Xandyr said:

Is Frozen Aura a "must", or can it be skipped? Seems counterproductive to me as Frost is a cone and Ground Zero and Rad Therapy are pbaoe.  Once you use those,  the enemies will break free from Frozen Aura.

Besides the PBAoE damage that was mentioned earlier, Frozen Aura can also house the Call of Sandman proc which I believe currently is a ~15% heal that has a pretty much guaranteed chance to fire when FA is used in a big crowd.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.

I levelled one earlier in the year and he was a lot of fun. Build is in my sig (and below). Ice/Ice/Lev scraptroller. As others say you really, really, really want Frozen Aura. Think of it as Footstomp for Scrappers. The sleep is pretty meaningless. Frost (triggering the crit IO) -> Frozen Aura -> Freezing Touch is an amazing combo. 

Frozen Fists and Greater Ice Sword are pretty poop. I ignored Frozen Fists and took Cross Punch when I got there. Cross Punch won't crit but it is quicker than GIS, does slightly more damage and is a wee cone. Also it'll buff you slightly. 

I did respec at 30ish to do it, taking Air Sup  and GIS 1-30 and then respeccing to my actual build at 30. I also IOd as I went. So from 30-50 I was pretty tough, especially once I'd "settled" in a fight and got Ice Patch out.

At 50 Ice Patch isn't really needed but I kept it for "uh-oh" moments. If you corner pull / retreat and drop it you'll mitigate a lot of damage. It only needs one slot ever, which is amazing. 

Hero Plan by Mids' Reborn : Hero Designer 2.7.2.10
https://github.com/Crytilis/mids-reborn-hero-designer

Click this DataLink to open the build!

iScream: Level 50 Mutation Scrapper
Primary Power Set: Ice Melee
Secondary Power Set: Ice Armor
Power Pool: Fighting
Power Pool: Leaping
Power Pool: Speed
Ancillary Pool: Leviathan Mastery

Hero Profile:
Level 1: Ice Sword -- SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprScrStr-Dmg/Rchg(3), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(3), SprScrStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprScrStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(21), SprScrStr-Rchg/+Crit(50)
Level 1: Frozen Armor -- DefBuff-I(A), LucoftheG-Def(5), LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(5)
Level 2: Hoarfrost -- DctWnd-EndRdx/Rchg(A), DctWnd-Heal/EndRdx/Rchg(7), DctWnd-Heal/Rchg(7), DctWnd-Rchg(19), DctWnd-Heal(19)
Level 4: Frost -- SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg(A), SprCrtStr-Dmg/Rchg(9), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(9), SprCrtStr-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(11), SprCrtStr-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(15), SprCrtStr-Rchg/+50% Crit(37)
Level 6: Chilling Embrace -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 8: Build Up -- GssSynFr--Build%(A), GssSynFr--ToHit(13), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg(31), GssSynFr--ToHit/Rchg/EndRdx(33), GssSynFr--Rchg/EndRdx(40), GssSynFr--ToHit/EndRdx(46)
Level 10: Wet Ice -- EndRdx-I(A)
Level 12: Ice Patch -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 14: Kick -- Empty(A)
Level 16: Glacial Armor -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(17), DefBuff-I(17)
Level 18: Tough -- StdPrt-ResDam/Def+(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(23), Ags-ResDam(23), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(37), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(43), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(45)
Level 20: Energy Absorption -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), EndMod-I(21), PreOptmz-EndMod/End/Rech(45), PreOptmz-EndMod/Rech(48)
Level 22: Cross Punch -- Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), Erd-%Dam(25), Erd-Dmg(25), Mlt-Acc/Dmg(29), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(29), FrcFdb-Rechg%(40)
Level 24: Combat Jumping -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), ShlWal-ResDam/Re TP(48)
Level 26: Freezing Touch -- CrsImp-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(A), KntCmb-Acc/Dmg(27), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx(27), KntCmb-Dmg/Rchg(46), KntCmb-Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(34), UnbCns-Dam%(45)
Level 28: Permafrost -- GldArm-3defTpProc(A)
Level 30: Weave -- LucoftheG-Def/Rchg+(A), LucoftheG-Def(31), DefBuff-I(31)
Level 32: Frozen Aura -- Erd-Dmg(A), Erd-Acc/Rchg(33), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(33), Obl-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(34), Arm-Dam%(34), Obl-Dmg/Rchg(50)
Level 35: Water Spout -- Artl-Acc/Dam(A), Artl-Dam/Rech(36), Artl-Acc/Dam/Rech(36), Bmbdmt-Dam/Rech(36), Bmbdmt-Acc/Dam/Rech(43), OvrFrc-Dam/KB(48)
Level 38: Icy Bastion -- Ags-ResDam(A), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx(39), Ags-ResDam/Rchg(39), Ags-EndRdx/Rchg(39), Ags-ResDam/EndRdx/Rchg(13), Prv-Absorb%(50)
Level 41: Hibernate -- RechRdx-I(A)
Level 44: Icicles -- Erd-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx/Rchg(A), Erd-Dmg(42), Erd-Acc/Dmg/Rchg(42), Mlt-Dmg/EndRdx(42), Mlt-Acc/Dmg/EndRdx(43)
Level 47: Hasten -- RechRdx-I(A), RechRdx-I(46)
Level 49: Boxing -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Brawl -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Critical Hit 
Level 1: Quick Form 
Level 1: Prestige Power Dash -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Slide -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Quick -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Rush -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Prestige Power Surge -- Empty(A)
Level 1: Sprint -- Clr-Stlth(A)
Level 2: Rest -- Empty(A)
Level 4: Ninja Run 
Level 2: Swift -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Health -- Pnc-Heal/+End(A), NmnCnv-Regen/Rcvry+(40)
Level 2: Hurdle -- Empty(A)
Level 2: Stamina -- PrfShf-End%(A), EndMod-I(15), PrfShf-EndMod(37)
Level 50: Ion Core Final Judgement 
Level 50: Degenerative Radial Flawless Interface 
Level 50: Rebirth Radial Epiphany 
Level 50: Melee Core Embodiment 
Level 50: Agility Core Paragon 
------------

Edited by Carnifax

I also have an ice/rad scrapper and it's definitely a viable combo. I took a snipe from an epic pool to do maximum ST dmg but I end up with this weird attack chain of ice sword -> freezing touch -> ice sword -> cross punch -> moonbeam with the crit proc in ice sword. GIS is like GFS, just not all that great. That's my biggest complaint with the set: I've got 4 powers in my attack chain and only 2 are from my primary. From a numerical perspective it makes sense it's just kind of disappointing. 

You'll definitely want frost and frozen aura. Frozen aura reminds me a lot of footstomp. Combine that with proc bombing ground zero and you can do some serious aoe dmg. 

2 hours ago, Xandyr said:

I put the crit ATO in Ground Zero. Rush a mob, Build Up, Ground Zero (triggering the crit), Frozen Aura, Freezing Touch,Frost. So much fun and so much damage!

Appreciate the feedback! 

Ground Zero only recharges once every @35 seconds. You'll get more ooomph from it in Frost honestly because it'll be pinging all the time. 

When GZ & BU aren't available Frost > FA > Freezing Touch and it'll rain crits. 

Stick as many Damage Procs as you can in GZ instead once you've slotted for Acc & Dam. It especially likes Armageddon at 50 (my Brutes is 1 acc, 5 procs but Brutes are slightly different in that Fury is bolstering the base damage anyway).