Can bases get moved to another server?

Excraft

I've inherited several bases on a couple of servers due to other players in the groups quitting the game.  I'd like to be able to move them all to Excelsior since the population there is good.  I'm not a builder so there's no way I could recreate them myself.  I remember reading something about demorecording a base?  Is that possible and how do I do it?

Thanks

Currently not possible at all.

There used to be a way to save bases locally, and Paragon Chat figured out how to re-load those saved bases into the game, but so far I have not seen this functionality in any of the new servers since the game came back.

5 hours ago, Excraft said:

Thanks i27 changes.

It has nothing to do with i27 changes.  Those methods used in Paragon Chat of "restoring saved bases" were "demorecords", which were sort of like filming going through a Base.  I think they also recorded more information about the stuff in Bases.  Right now, I think there's no way of using that to get what you want.

But you should make this request for moving the Bases in the appropriate forum, Help and Support.

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/12-help-amp-support/

Do also read this post about how to make a support request to improve your post's impact.

Expect the response to be that it can't be done now.  I think the nature of Bases as they are stored in the Shards' databases is at this time, they can't be moved between Shards.

However, your request will be seen as indicating a desire for a future Quality of Life change to have more options for Bases, including backing up and restoring them to different Shards.

The dev staff is small and need to focus their time and skills on what they think needs to be done.  That includes QoL changes for the community.

New database tools for Bases would be a rather demanding change, especially as it is creating new tools to change a database.  This is fraught with peril and needs to be done exactly correctly.

Don't expect such a change to happen soon.  And such a change will have other factors to consider, as Bases can have storage for Salvage, Enhancements, and Inspirations, so moving them between Shards also involves shifting that en mass between Shards.

But do make the request to let them know there's players out there who want this.

Edited by Jacke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacke said:

It has nothing to do with i27 changes. 

Yeah I know.  The changes to travel and other stuff is part of i27 though, which is why pretty much everyone in these SGs quit, so now I'm stuck with bases that are just going to sit empty unfortunately.  That's what I was getting at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Excraft said:

Yeah I know.  The changes to travel and other stuff is part of i27 though, which is why pretty much everyone in these SGs quit, so now I'm stuck with bases that are just going to sit empty unfortunately.  That's what I was getting at. 

2 hours ago, Chaos Ex Machina said:

You know, I expected to hate issue 27.  Travel is actually easier now even compared to the code in a popmenu.  And that code works in a multitude of scenarios... base teleporter, base portals, etc.

Yeah.  The impact of the i27 changes is a lot less that a lot of people make it out to be.  They were needed changes (and some not so needed that may still yet change back at least somewhat).  Some of the departed players may return.

@Excraft, you have (or will) ended up Fearless Leader of some Supergroups due to the "Inactive Leaders Demotion" setting.  The existing leadership above you didn't log in and hit that day limit.  Then you log in your toon in the Supergroup.  And the City server code for Supergroups promotes you to the Big Red Star, which is a feature to prevent Supergroups getting locked up due to the leaders no longer playing the game (as does happen in other MMOs like SWTOR) and thus making all the effort in the Supergroup, especially in its Base, all for naught as no one active can do anything with it.

You have had the mantel of Leadership--real Leadership, not some fiddly Power Pool--thrust upon you.  A battlefield promotion, as it were, as those above you have fallen.

I had this happen to me in a Supergroup I was in on the old Freedom Shard in City pre-2012.  Here is my advice to you

• Secure control ethically.
    • On your game interface, the Chat window has a Super popup.  Click that then Click on Settings to adjust Supergroup Settings.
    • On the Supergroup Settings UI that's take over your screen:
      • Turn up "Inactive Leaders Demotion" day count.
      • Keep logging in the Big Red Star Character to keep that Big Red Star.
    • Click on Permissions to get the Permission screen.
      • Under Permissions right-most column for the lowest grade SG rank (default name "Member"), turn all Permissions off except "Use Coalition Chat".
      • Click "Accept".
    • On the main Settings UI, click "Accept" to save those changes.
    • That puts you on the Choose Super Group Colors screen.  Click "Cancel" to exit from that, then click "Cancel" to exit from the Settings UI.
    • On the Super popup, you have a listing for the current Supergroup membership.
      • For all members you don't know or are now inactive, click on them, then click on "Demote" until they are the lowest Rank (default name "Member").
      • There will now be no gold marker to the left of their name.
    • The storage items in the Base for Salvage, Enhancements, and Inspirations, by default, only give access to the top two ranks in the Supergroup.  The permissions may have been changed to give access to lower ranks, but checking that is complex.
  • Figure out what you're going to do with the Supergroup.  It's a resource that shouldn't be wasted.
  • Some players may come back.  They'll PM you in-game or in the forums.  Handle that as you think is right.

Back in the past, I was the only player to use that Supergroup for years.  I eventually turned it into my own SG.  I learned to make a practical simple Supergroup Base.  When Homecoming came back with more tools, I recreated my own Supergroup and my own SG Base.

@Excraft, PM me if you'd like some simple Base upkeep done, like adapting the Base Teleporters to i27p1.  I have a simple SG Base and toons on all Homecoming Shards.  I can walk you through adding my toon temporarily as an SG member with enough permissions to fix a few things.

The simple stuff for Bases isn't that hard.  If you have the time and inclination, you can pick it up.

Edited by Jacke

4 hours ago, Jacke said:

Yeah.  The impact of the i27 changes is a lot less that a lot of people make it out to be.  They were needed changes (and some not so needed that may still yet change back at least somewhat).  Some of the departed players may return.

I'm glad you think that but try to keep in mind, other people don't share your viewpoint.  I know most all of these people IRL and they're not coming back.  Thanks for the offer to help and the overly long winded reply, but I understand perfectly how supergroups work.  I already know how to build a base, just nothing as elaborate as the ones I've inherited.  I could do it given time, I just didn't feel like trying to recreate hours upon hours of work on another server if I didn't have to.  Shame to let these go to rot unused.  

Edited by Excraft
  • Like 1

Just now, Excraft said:

I'm glad you think that but try to keep in mind, other people don't share your viewpoint.  I know most all of these people IRL and they're not coming back.

I am very well aware of that.  I read many of the Focused Feedback topics, including the ones on the Travel changes.  I really disagreed with the direction of some of the Blaster Secondary Changes, especially to Tactical Arrow.  But I also understand why the changes were done the way they were done, even ones I disagree with.

All games that have any life will have change, sometimes serious change.  You find a way to adapt because the game is worth it.  Or you don't want to or it's not worth it and you move on.  Or your friends make that choice.  That happens anyway even without any change.  I've seen many a friend move on from City and never return.  Some I've remained in contact with outside of City.  Others are gone.  And many left when there was no change.  Some of them died.

Change is part of life.  Would you still want to play City as it was at release, Issue 0?  A bunch of people are trying that out as best they can.  I find it amusing and may try some of it from time to time.  But I'm also glad City had those changes.  I look forward to the changes in the future.

Not sure what you're after derailing the thread going on about classic challenges. I really don't care if people want to play that way or not.  More power to them if that's what their after. Glad you liked the changes, some other don't.  Anyway, @Guardia was helpful and answered my question.  Thanks.